Half-Life 2 video and now....

jasonh1234

Reaction score
Stalker Oblivian Lost "retaliates(?)"

From Blues News...

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Trailer Tomorrow [July 14, 2003, 09:11 AM EDT] - Comments
Oblivion-lost.com has word that "the eagerly awaited new trailer of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Oblivion Lost is going to be released on the Internet on Tuesday July 15th at 7p.m.(US time) which is -8 GMT. It will contain all the major features of the current build version of the game - combat AI, Physics, DirectX 9, etc. All major games sites will host it."

Sounds to me like someone wants to counter someone else's video file. ;-)

Well, let's see what they have to show. If I see another guy running in the middle of the forest, alone, I will forget that this game even existed.

Originally posted by Mr.Reak
Well, let's see what they have to show. If I see another guy running in the middle of the forest, alone, I will forget that this game even existed.
I concur.

" It will contain all the major features of the current build version of the game - combat AI, Physics, DirectX 9, etc."

Yeah, now all we need is Carmack to come out with a demo of those fancy Doom 3 physics.

someone post that demo here tomorrow so i dont forget ;p

Originally posted by jasonh1234
"Oblivion-lost.com has word that "the eagerly awaited new trailer of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Oblivion Lost is going to be released on the Internet on Tuesday July 15th at 7p.m.(US time) which is -8 GMT. It will contain all the major features of the current build version of the game - combat AI, Physics, DirectX 9, etc. All major games sites will host it."

Eh, I have this bad feeling, that STALKER will blow away HL2. I don’t know why, but this game is not that popular, so people don’t expect as much as they do from HL2. And I seen STALKER graphics, and they are impressive. Let’s see how AI, combat and physics are. If they are as good as HL2, then… well STALKER can become new king of FPS? Also game only comes out in 2004.

A pretty engine is meaningless. Sure, they talk a big game but so far their videos have been empty and lacking. Their game doesn't have heart. And just from the MOD community alone HL will still be king shit of FPS hill for a while yet.

Eh, I have this bad feeling, that STALKER will blow away HL2. I don’t know why, but this game is not that popular, so people don’t expect as much as they do from HL2. And I seen STALKER graphics, and they are impressive. Let’s see how AI, combat and physics are. If they are as good as HL2, then… well STALKER can become new king of FPS? Also game only comes out in 2004.

As game? No, I don't think so. The gameplay is RPG-style not story-driven. So it doesn't really compete for the same audience.

As far as the engine is concerned, maybe. But it really isn't all that much better looking if you ask me. We'll see tomorrow, I guess.

PS. Where is our resident Stalker pimp? This is your cue :)

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
As game? No, I don't think so. The gameplay is RPG-style not story-driven. So it doesn't really compete for the same audience.

As far as the engine is concerned, maybe. But it really isn't all that much better looking if you ask me. We'll see tomorrow, I guess.

PS. Where is our resident Stalker pimp? This is your cue :)

Well, devs told STALKER has a dynamic world, that lives by itself and doesn't really care about you. Now, I heard it all 100 times before (Morrowind, Freelancer), but only one game did a great job on dynamic world, it is Gothic 1 and 2. Now, I am RPG fan, so big and dynamic world is big plus for me. But I am also a HL fanboy. So yeah..I will root for HL2 :)

Well, devs told STALKER has a dynamic world, that lives by itself and doesn't really care about you. Now, I heard it all 100 times before (Morrowind, Freelancer), but only one game did a great job on dynamic world, it is Gothic 1 and 2. Now, I am RPG fan, so big and dynamic world is big plus for me. But I am also a HL fanboy. So yeah..I will root for HL2 :)

If you think about it, this 3-way (or more?) competion is really good, actually. Instead sitting there chilling out, the HL2 team must be trying to put in some last-minute cool features while they still have time. The real advantage is that HL2 will come out first from the bunch so it will not be compared to the other games until much later.

I think it's a win-win situation for all of us. :)

does stalker have the face animations and lip synching?

I really wish HL2 could do maps as big as STALKER. I really love open ended games (e.g. GTA3), as I enjoy the exploring aspect of it (part of the reason why I was excited about Duke Nukem 3 was its large Vegas map in a living breathing city and its open endedness). If STALKER can do HL2 physics as well, perhaps we have a new king?

....HL2 CAN do maps as big as Stalker.

What made you think it couldn't?

Valve has said themselves that HL2 maps will only be 16X bigger (if you don't count the height of the map), which means only 4X as big in either the lateral or longitudinal directions.

Why is everyone so obsessed with map size? If its not an MMOG , I dont think it matters.

Its a game in development. Search for "Stalker Oblivion Lost" in google. Its pretty impressive.

Did you see that cube? The one that showed how big the maps ACTUALLY are vs the old MAX HL map?

And you want to tell me a base Stalker map is MUCH MUCH bigger than that?

Only way they do that is if they are constantly loading the terrain as you go, and that leads to it's own problems.

Hmmm...

That's exactly why I want to play this game.

Nice, creepy, atmospheric, post-apocalyptic solitude.

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
the HL2 team must be trying to put in some last-minute cool features while they still have time.
I guarantee they're not adding any more features.

yeah you know, because "lip synching" and "face animation" are the most important parts of a game

I have been following staker for a while, but i am still not sure whether it is Oblivion Lost, or Lost Oblivion. I have seen it translated both ways. :cool:

Originally posted by Boogaleeboo
And you want to tell me a base Stalker map is MUCH MUCH bigger than that?

Only way they do that is if they are constantly loading the terrain as you go, and that leads to it's own problems.
Actually that is exactly how they do it in Stalker.

It's always, without fail, been a horrible system in the past. Lets see if the new company gets it right.

<Raises hand tentatively>

What's Stalker?

Edit: Sorry, I've just taken a look at the site and it looks pretty damn cool...
Question: Any kind of release date? Any kind of specs?

You cannot compare Stalker with HL2.

Its the same, if you would compare Fallout with Quake.

Stalker reminds me a lot of doom 3 with the atmosphere both games are trying to create, except Stalker is going for outdoors, while d3 is going for indoors
Stalker's X-Ray engine also looks pretty strong, especially in physics since it says they are modelling ballistics, something hl2 isn't doing (although it could be possible in source)

why dont people look on the site??

yer but why do you want huge maps?? ffs i want this i want that....... HL was and still is the best game i have ever played.... and look OHHHHHH the maps were smallish and fighting generally took place in enclosed areas....... thats why it was so fun, you couldn't just run away.

im fed up with people wishing this and wishing that about a game because some other game has done it in the past or is going to do it..... its pathetic. STALKER has one big map thats roughly 5 miles in width.... wow thats nice FOR THAT GAME but for HL2 i want similar things to the original because THATS what made it fun.
stop bloody moaning, the game hasn't even come out.

i want both STALKER and HL2 but i want HL2 more because Valve are a proven developer in my eyes and even if its only just as gd as the original (they says its far better) then im going to love it.

Kam

Originally posted by jasonh1234
Stalker Oblivian Lost "retaliates(?)"

From Blues News...

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Trailer Tomorrow [July 14, 2003, 09:11 AM EDT] - Comments
Oblivion-lost.com has word that "the eagerly awaited new trailer of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Oblivion Lost is going to be released on the Internet on Tuesday July 15th at 7p.m.(US time) which is -8 GMT. It will contain all the major features of the current build version of the game - combat AI, Physics, DirectX 9, etc. All major games sites will host it."

Sounds to me like someone wants to counter someone else's video file. ;-)

Sweet! Can't wait!

Originally posted by Sushi
Stalker's X-Ray engine also looks pretty strong, especially in physics since it says they are modelling ballistics, something hl2 isn't doing (although it could be possible in source)
Source is more than capable of ballistics physics. Valve experimented with it early on but decided that it wasn't that much fun and didn't add anything to the gameplay, so they took it out.

Back