Half-Life 2: Wars News and Media

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
After a year of silence, the Half-Life 2: Wars team has finally shed some light on their development progress, with media and a large news update. The team endeavors to make a Half-Life 2 RTS on the Source engine. The update describes their past year of development, integrating Python and rewriting the code to be more suitable for an RTS, and features a few screenshots from their upcoming public release, a simple multiplayer demo featuring warring Antlion colonies.

[br]<div >
newsspacer.gif
</div>

We’ve finalized an initial design to work towards for our almost-mythical (and still very far off) Beta 1.0 release, but in the meanwhile have decided to go ahead with our original plan: to create a small “demo version” of HLW to showcase the brand new game code and optimized multiplayer capabilities. This takes the form of a small multiplayer-only game mode where players command opposing Antlion colonies, competing over food and grub resources. It’s a fairly simple game type – we just want you guys to have something new to play, and this will be available long before another full beta release.

Intrigued? Head over to their website to read the full update and see more media, as well as download previous beta releases of the modification.

That HUD is amazing, better than some RTS games out there. I know Empires have spent a lifetime recoding Source for the RTS elements and I'm sure you guys have slaved away the hours doing the same!

Nice one Ennui, its really good to see you guys are still working on this. Looks great! Keep up the good work.

The space is well managed for the normal game mode, but for the demo we don't really have much in the way of HUD elements finished yet (abilities, portraits, unit info etc)

Looks awesome, but I wonder about the use of "Half-Life 2" in the name. I recall Valve requesting that "Black Mesa Source" drop the "Source" part, so might they not have a problem with this?

The hud looks great but the mini map is puke. At least change that background color!

I find it rather hard to control the units... Hopefully you guys are working on this, but it seems that the units get hung up on things that they should easily walk over, say... a pebble. :p

Also, the engineer builds buildings based on which way he's facing, rather than which way the player sets the building up.

But, I'm fairly certain you guys have already fixed this, being that this version was launched over a year ago. I just wanted, really, to know if you guys fixed these bugs.

Looks awesome, but I wonder about the use of "Half-Life 2" in the name. I recall Valve requesting that "Black Mesa Source" drop the "Source" part, so might they not have a problem with this?

Their problem was the name Source being confused as an official port by VALVe much like HL: Source, CS: Source, and DoD: Source.

However they didn't have problems with the titles being used. A good example is Half-Life 2: Capture the Flag, which is endorsed by VALVe.

I think it looks extremely good, please direct me to another hl2 mod that has a better RTS hud?
That HUD is amazing, better than some RTS games out there.
He pushed the comparison outside the realm of just Source games.

While that HUD is pretty good for a Source game (I don't know why, but Source games tend to have atrocious HUDs), it's far from what I'd call spectacular or even good looking.

Either way, keep up the good work guys.

Back