Halflife 2 has lost the revolution

jonnyapps

Reaction score
Guys, i've been with everyone else from the offset regarding my desire for hl2 screenies, vids etc. but now that it's been so long and on the most part valve have been so good at satisfying our urges I kinda feel like they've lost themselves the revolution.

There's been so much delving into this game, so much time has lead to so much scrutiny from the fanbase that I feel like I know this game better than some I've played the whole way through.

I desire this game more than any other and have no doubt that it will be amazing but i feel that unless valve have kept 90% of what we can expect under wraps that this game has lost its revolutionary edge. I guess I'm referring to the WOW FACTOR. i'm not sure we're gonna still get as many 'wow games can do that?!' comments as we should.

Don't flame me, don't get me wrong, i'm an hl2 fanboy to my grave. i just, meh. Bring on Hl2. Make me eat my words. It probably will. Gabe's the best and so's his team.

Im so tired of these threads. Just stfu and wait for it to be released and when it is all of you doubters will fall to your knees for forgiveness from valve for losing your faith.

tommyz28 said:
Im so tired of these threads. Just stfu and wait for it to be released and when it is all of you doubters will fall to your knees for forgiveness from valve for losing your faith.

i'm saying that some of the gloss and some of the amazement has been lost through the massive publicity hl2 has received and therefore our experience will be lessened. The game will obviously be no worse and I'm sure will be brilliant.

and you took a long time to voice you 'stfu's' as it's only u'r ninth post.

I think I undersatnd what you are saying. far cry and doom 3 have done some impressive things with graphics and AI and it feels like hl2 is loosing ground because it has gone nowhere (technologically speaking) since sept 30 2003. however I think you need to take into account how little we know about the game, mp/storyline/weapons/ abilities/ whether or not the CE comes with a beanie headcrab. hl2 may not blow us away in the same way it might of done a year ago...

but its still gonna blow us away. ::)

i think the big surprises will be in richness of storyline/ AI / strong empathy with the charachters and the effect of a years spit and polish.

asdfasdf

Hey ...

Let me voice my opinion ... I think that Half Life 2 and Doom 3 will have been the best graphics we have seen. Just believe me, the graphics in Half Life 2 will blow us all away ... :cheers:

i agree fully with ne-waller, imagine our WOW if it was released on spet. 30, 2003?

but you have to wonder.. will Farcry and Doom 3 help HL2 sales by not meeting the gamer's expectations?

jonnyapps said:
Halflife 2 has lost the revolution

Actually I think Half-Life 2 is about the revolution.

Rebels wouldn't be much good otherwise.

ne-waller said:
I think I undersatnd what you are saying. far cry and doom 3 have done some impressive things with graphics and AI and it feels like hl2 is loosing ground because it has gone nowhere (technologically speaking) since sept 30 2003. however I think you need to take into account how little we know about the game, mp/storyline/weapons/ abilities/ whether or not the CE comes with a beanie headcrab. hl2 may not blow us away in the same way it might of done a year ago...

but its still gonna blow us away. ::)

i think the big surprises will be in richness of storyline/ AI / strong empathy with the charachters and the effect of a years spit and polish.

i agree with everything you're saying and i am in no doubt that the game will be the best game i will have ever played and i am especially optimistic of the AI and storyline. My main point (i admit perhaps not that clearly expressed) is questioning whether valve have made their own game less draw dropping through over publicising it.

Now calm yourselves flamers i'm not getting in an argument about delays and hype. I just mean (and the same applies to any game) imagine the look on your face if the first time you ever encountered a strider was in game. That's all I'm saying and i know they have to publicise or nobody knows there's a product to buy but perhaps, not helped by the year delay, valve have over publicised their merchandise and been too good to the community?

edit: and lol to wildhound

Gabe once said in an interview that they have a marketing ethic of keeping stuff from the publicity for the guy who forks out the money in the shop to discover.

it had a real tip o' the iceberg feeling to it...

What he's trying to say, since that Valve showed off so much of the game, there won't be that many surprises and quite frankly He's kind of right. They probably showed us at lease half the game. Look how many different levels are showed throughout the videos. I do think this game will still be a revolution though. Everything is leading to it. Valve has done so much with the Source Engine and they are going to keep adding to the Valve product list. Things like:

Half-Life 2
Half-Life: Source
Counter-Strike: Source
Day Of Defeat: Source
Team Fortress 2
-Valve stated that there will be expansions to the game.
-Valve stated that there will be a Half-Life 3
-Many more that we know about and don't know about.

The Source Engine is supposely worlds beyond the Hammer engine in both graphics, ease of use, and abilities. Believe it or not, Steam is getting pretty good and if they port the rest of their products like Blue Shift and Gunman Chronicles over then everything should work out fine there. I wish there was a Gunman Chronicles 2. Every game that has suppose to have been a revolution came out with something big missing. Doom 3 is was the lack of innovative gameplay, Far Cry is was the lack of story and some other little stuff. Though those are awesome games, they are not revolutionary. From what I can conclude from the videos and pics of Half-Life 2, they will have all the desired features and then some. Valve is doing some amazing things with the Havok 2 physics engine which I believe adds a whole new experience to gaming. Valve is smart. They know how to markey their products and keep people interested. I think they never intended to release Half-Life 2 last year, but rather wanted to get people excited about the game. They stated that they though the game was stable enough, but even around E3 2004 they said they where still working on fixing bugs and it doesn't take a whole year to fix a few bugs that they missed. None the less I think the world of gaming can finally get their next revolution in Gaming!

-Half-Life 2-

I think the term the original poster is looking for is "over-hyped." For some reason he refuses to say it like that, making his posts completely confusing to read.

I don't think you can judge if it's "lost the revolution" until you've played it. But that's not going to stop people judging it...SO JUDGE AWAY pre-emptive judges.

Think i'm getting the picture, that it's losing its "wow factor", something like this has already been posted. I've watched that Coastline video some many frekin times, I think it's still cool, but it's going to be a whole different story once i'm behind the wheel of that buggy I tell you! You see things over and over again, but once your in that position you'll be free to do whatever you want, it won't be a video! It will be you playing! Your getting bored of seeing the same stuff so you look like this ----> :x but when the game is out and you play those same areas in the videos and stuff you will look like this ---> :eek: :eek: because it's YOU playing!

Heh... if you think they have showed half of the game, then you are gravely mistaken.

How do you people know if they even showed us even close to all of it? They did say there is 30-40 hours of gameplay. And all the videos put into 1 is probably not even 1 hour. So you saying they showed half the game is unlikley. Its unlikely they've showed us everything, they are smarter then that. I think they know what there doing :D . I hope

I have a feeling that they've only showed us segments form the first 5 hours of the game.

The Docks video appeared to be from the beginning.
The Train sequence is definatly from the beginning.
The Apartment scene as well.

It's easy to deduce. Also keep in mind that Valve have changed the game since the leak.

Coastline was completely re-done to the sequence with the crane for instance.

We haven't seen much in the way of the arsenal we'll be carrying or the characters involved. I'm betting there's enough new content to fill another game in itself.

Of course we have picked apart these sequences and pieced them together to make a probable story-line. But if Valve has done their work well, we still have much to be seen.

I predict about 4 or 5 plot twists to keep the game's ending from anything we predicted. :D

(I may have contradicted myself in this last sentence)

I don't believe HL2 can lose the revoloution before it has joined the revolution, i.e. when it's released

We've got a battle between the optimists and the pessimists, and the problem is we don't know who will win untill a reasonable number of us have played HL2 through and see the much secretive multiplayer

Mr-Fusion said:
I don't think you can judge if it's "lost the revolution" until you've played it. But that's not going to stop people judging it...SO JUDGE AWAY pre-emptive judges.

i would say i was speculating not judging. There's nothing definite in my posts.

And I'm not saying it's overhyped and that people have got so excited they can only be disappointed. I'm saying things have been revealed to us over an entire year of media being released which no longer makes their content revolutionary.

STILL I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC OR SAYING THE GAME WILL BE NO GOOD.

all i know is that half life 2 is going to come out and i am going to play it soo much then im gonna mod the heck out of it

-merc

Half life 2 looks to be the most awsomemest game ever! I mean, nothing like this has been done before nor is it going to be done with any games in the near future. This game puts so much emphasis on realistic physics and enviromental interaction that no one will care about how "equal" the graphics look to doom III or Far Cry. No other game has been this interactive and that is where it will be revolutionary.

I don't know about modding, but I sure as hell am gonna play with every damn object in the game just to know how kew it is.

People seem to miss the most obvious point. Doom 3's biggest point was the visuals which could be easily showen of it screenshots and movies, so most people can point out Doom 3 strong points just from screenshots. Half Life 2's strong points are in the gameplay, and although you can get some of it out of the movies, screenshots are entirely useless and until we start playing there is no way we can say weather the hype is justified or not.

PS: I always hate when a Doom 3 fan turns to the defense of saying "Look at HL2 graphics, they suck compared to Doom 3." It's like saying look at Doom 3, it has no manipulator. Come on, Doom 3 and Half Life 2 focus on totally different things and comparing them is mostly a matter of taste (graphics vs deep gameplay).

If I wanted to see good graphics, I would walk outside and look at the outside world. If it was awsome game play and enviromental interaction I wanted, I would go play half life 2. Lets face it, you cannot have a good game without good gameplay, which is where Doom III fell short. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast playing far cry and doom III, but they will nowhere compare to Half life 2. It is said, "The first shall be last and the last shall be first." Out of the three, guess which is coming out last.

I don't see any other game coming out in 2004 that can challenge what HL2 and Doom 3 have to offer.

they could release this game a year from now, and it would still wow all of you. not because of graphics or tech or anything else. the one thing that really sets it apart from everything else out there right now (ie, d3, farcry) is the story. not to turn this thread into a hl2 vs *insert FPS here*, but doom 3 lacked any sort of original story. as such, it left a lot of people very disappointed. same thing with farcry.

bottom line, for me, is that im actually considering buying a new computer just for this game. for a poor college student who hasnt really played video games in the past two years to say that is somewhat significant. maybe.

A revolution comes when nobody expect it and thats not the case with Halflife2. So will it be a kick ass game, yes it will. But a revolution i have serious doubts about that after Farcry and Doom3 it has to be somthing else than those two.

We will see

It was revolutionary in 2003.

Now its just a really good game thats coming out.

HL2 was never going to be revolutionary, Doom III is not revolutionary, FarCry wasn't revolutionary. Fact is the only way a game can be "revolutionary" is if it creates an entirely new genre or sub-genre. HL1 was revolutionary because it created a new sub-genre inside the First Person Shooter world, it added story, and interactivity with the world, it was a change from the mindless shoot em ups that was the first person shooter genre before.

HL2 was never going to create a new genre, it adds new features that will certainly make the game evolutionary but it isn't particularily new. Not that I don't think the term "evolutionary" is good enough to justify calling a game pure genious, I just don't think anybody should say they are disapointed in how HL2 won't be revolutionary because I can't see anyway they could have made the game revolutionary with current technology and still have a game that can have "Half Life" in the title.

Don't be dissapointed though, evolution in games is just as important as revolution and it is often much more fun.

Half Life 1 wasnt even all that revolutionary. People just go banannas over it because it has been around for so many years thanks to counterstrike. The game wasnt that massivly good. If it wasnt for counterstrike Half Life one would be exactly the same as any other game of the past. Noone would still be playing it 5 years later.

Half Life 1 wasnt even all that revolutionary. People just go banannas over it because it has been around for so many years thanks to counterstrike. The game wasnt that massivly good. If it wasnt for counterstrike Half Life one would be exactly the same as any other game of the past. Noone would still be playing it 5 years later.

I would still be playing it - i dunt even really like CS and I was just playing HL a few minutes ago to pass the time waiting for HL2 and it was more fun than any game that has recently come out. Ive played through the entire half-life like 5 times now and its STILL FUN!! :D I mean thats amazing!
LOL - 5 years later and Ill still be having fun playing half-life 2 waiting for half-life 3!!

Back