Halflife 3: Return of the HEV suit Guy

scarecrow1

Reaction score
I have heard about Valve making HL3 after HL2 is finished and that they will be using a modified version of source. So that could mean the HL3 might see the light of day say within a year of HL2's release? What do you guys reckon? Valve already have source, all that may nee to be done is some tweaking, and start on HL3.

It takes a long time to create the full content for a game though. I wouldn't expect it for a while myself.

i doubt it would be that soon as the modding community are going to be going ape over HL2 and there shall be a lot of work for valve to do to keep everyone happy as well as releasing add ons etc to keep steam monthly subscribers happy.

I reckon it will be released quite a bit after HL2 to let everyone calm down.

Rupertvdb said:
i doubt it would be that soon as the modding community are going to be going ape over HL2 and there shall be a lot of work for valve to do to keep everyone happy as well as releasing add ons etc to keep steam monthly subscribers happy.

I reckon it will be released quite a bit after HL2 to let everyone calm down.

I'm running with this idea. They're more likely to take it cool and chill for at least two years, probably three (As above said). But then again, they might as well just release an "Expansionpack" that is HL3. We have no idea how HL2 ends so it's hard to say.

But VALVe are everything requierd in a gaming company, and that includes knowing how to make money. So whatever they do, they'll be loaded.

Yeah I'll second your theories. Gabe even said it, that they were going to take long holidays and not rush into anything. (not a word-for-word quote).

why don't we focus on one f**king game at a time alright?

When Gabe confirmed in PC Gameplay that there will be a HL3, he made it clear that it wouldn't take them another 5 years.

So expect HL3 in 3 years or something. They have the tech, all they need to to is keep it up to date. The creation of Source took the most time when making HL2.

I'd like to see it on HL's 10 birthday, but I think 3 years is more likely.

I think 3-4 years.

First: they are going to take a long vacation for sure.

Second: they are in the business to make money and we all know the HL franchise is one of the most valuable games out there. It wouldn't make sense for them to rush out another product until HL2 sales start to decline.

Third: they may be using the same engine, but it will no doubt be very modified to include DX10 (and beyond) stuff. Plus they are so much more into interaction and plot and story; that alone can soak up a lot of time doing it right.

Personally, I expect 2-3 expansion packs and a ton of mods over the next few years before HL3 ever hits the shelves.

OT: I wonder though if this time they will keep us more up to date? We, at least, know there WILL be a HL3 (unlike HL2 which we were kept in the dark about).

Back