HalfLife2 Must Go Gold This Monday Or Tuesday To Be On Time

S

Sir Dingo

Well, Valve says they are still sticking to the Sept 30 release date for HalfLife2. For that to happen the official "gold" announcement must be this Monday or Tuesday the 16th, for them to still make that date.

Thanks for telling us something we have known for months, you deserve a cookie. /me gives Sir Dingo a cookie.

Originally posted by Reiska
Another headcrab launching "hard facts"

Bingo

But yeah, he's right... but I think we all knew this from common sense

Originally posted by DiSTuRbEd
Thanks for telling us something we have known for months, you deserve a cookie. /me gives Sir Dingo a cookie.

Can I have a cookie?

Well it's not facts. They can go officially gold whenever they want to, and still make it on 30th september.

wow looks like you DON'T learn something new everyday!

soz man but use the "search" in this forum.....it does WORK you know ;)

this is a high demand game and they have to mass produce it so it can be shipped to the world (thats millions of copies including manuals and stuff, plus it has single player version so that doubles the production rate)

They have to "make" it gold this week. Even if they don;t announce it and leave it as a surprise they still have to ship the master copy of the game alon g with the manual to the factories to be produced...

THE ORIGINAL HALFLIFE WENT GOLD THREE DAYS BEFORE IT WAS ON THE SHELVES.

no i don't think so FISKER. i mean they can't go gold "whenever" they want to make it gold, and still release it on sept30th!

that is jus like saying it could go gold on 29th and be here on 30th! hahaha no

i would bet money that the manual has been done and ready
its just the gold-disc thats left to be done

Ha, I love statements like this.

I doubt many of these people have much experience of the Games Publishing Industry.

HAlf-Life 2 doesn't have to go gold at any time, they could still get enough boxes printed and CDs pressed in a few days.

So your telling me they got the game off to the CD manufacturers, made about 200,000 copies , packaged them all and got them shipped all over the world in 3 days?

and Half-Life 2 will be much larger, so time to manufacture them will be longer as there's more to do!

Originally posted by mortiz
So your telling me they got the game off to the CD manufacturers, made about 200,000 copies , packaged them all and got them shipped all over the world in 3 days?

Actually 4 days.

Gold on 7th of November, released on the 11th.

Originally posted by commando
no i don't think so FISKER. i mean they can't go gold "whenever" they want to make it gold, and still release it on sept30th!

that is jus like saying it could go gold on 29th and be here on 30th! hahaha no

I never said that

Mortiz I think the boxes and manuals have been ready for a while, they don't wait for the game to be on cds for that it would be irresponsible don't you think?

Originally posted by FISKER_Q
Well it's not facts. They can go officially gold whenever they want to, and still make it on 30th september.

Yup you did ;)

you said above!!! They can go officially gold whenever they want to,

Originally posted by schweppes

Yeah.. but you fail to realize, Half Life came out from a company pretty much unknown and with no multiple versions (walmart SKU, standard, deluxe versions)... so they probably didnt have to mass produce NEARLY as much as HL2 does now...

so i guess that statement was pretty much irrelevant.

I've heard this a lot from people on this board, and it has NEVER been backed up with proof. Until I actually see proof of this, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that everyone who posts it is either a liar, trying to use it to shut up the naysayers OR they just don't bother to check their "facts."

I doubt many of these people have much experience of the Games Publishing Industry.

HAlf-Life 2 doesn't have to go gold at any time, they could still get enough boxes printed and CDs pressed in a few days

I have been working in the game industry for years and I can tell you it's IMPOSSIBLE to have a game go gold 3 days before the release date and still make it to store shelves in time for the release date.

regardless, noone takes that into account when they claim the "2 week rule" as this is the first game to use multiple prics plans, and its not like they need to make a couple million of each version. if HL gold took 3-4 days, why does the sequel take 3-5 TIMES AS LONG?

EDIT: good point about verifying th 4 day gold time, any sources to back this up?

Fact of the matter is, many people think it takes 2 weeks for ANY game to finish going gold.

Originally posted by indocomplexity
Yeah.. but you fail to realize, Half Life came out from a company pretty much unknown and with no multiple versions (walmart SKU, standard, deluxe versions)... so they probably didnt have to mass produce NEARLY as much as HL2 does now...

You seem to fail to realise that if a title is this huge and there's the chance for it to be shipped ON TIME and not piss off the community, then the publishers will put in the effort, as whatever money they expend upon releasing it on time, they'll get back and then some.
So I guess that statement was pretty much irrelevant.

If i dont see it gold 1 week before sept. 30 then I begin to worry....

Originally posted by indocomplexity

Mostly true but Half Life did generate a lot of Anticipation just before release because of the leaked Half-Life: Day One OEM Version.

Anyway, I wasn't saying it needed only 4 days, I'm saying that it doesn't have to go gold on Monday or Tuesday. They can go gold anytime this week and maybe a bit afterwards.

Originally posted by BWMASTER
this is a high demand game and they have to mass produce it so it can be shipped to the world (thats millions of copies including manuals and stuff, plus it has single player version so that doubles the production rate)

You're overestimating the demand. HL1 has "only" 5 million copies sold over the whole years.

see it as it is - by september 30th we have either the game or a delay message, thats it. But personaly, I expect either a gold- or a delay-message somewhen this week.

It'd be pretty weak - and rather odd - for Valve to announce a delay a week before release. That'd suggest a very short delay, IMO...

Originally posted by commando
Yup you did ;)

you said above!!! They can go officially gold whenever they want to,

you only talked about going gold.

Originally posted by JimJimBinks
I've heard this a lot from people on this board, and it has NEVER been backed up with proof. Until I actually see proof of this, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that everyone who posts it is either a liar, trying to use it to shut up the naysayers OR they just don't bother to check their "facts."

I have been working in the game industry for years and I can tell you it's IMPOSSIBLE to have a game go gold 3 days before the release date and still make it to store shelves in time for the release date.

I resent that. I do bother to check my facts and I don't lie.

And it's 4 days before the release date.

A Gamespot article on Valve just before Half-Life was released said that it went gold on the 7th of November. I'll find the link shortly.

i seriously doubt the people responsible for producing the game would keep it under wraps if they got the hl2 master disk- definately expect word that it has gone gold. It would have to go gold this week if they want to ship enough copies by the 30th- but as far as letting everyone know that its gold is another thing. I for one doubt it will be kept secret. However it may be by special request from valve to not say anything.

also feath they may have anounced it went gold 4 days before but that doesnt mean they started working on the disks 4 days before- it was probably a little bit more. Usually the date someone announces something is the date officially posted by game sites and stuff- you probably were just reading the word of going gold and not the action. And besides valve was under pressure in the final days so they probably didnt have time to make a statement that it went gold when it actually did.

more than likely the email was late in coming. although 200,000 isnt that many.

kinggi: And thats the point we're making about the HL2 announcement...no?

Man, Gabe has really put on a lot of weight since those days...

Back