Hard Drive problems

Ravioli

Microboner
Reaction score
Trying to install another hard drive but its giving me problems. Device manager simply says it needs to be initialized, so i click ok but nothing happens. I try the usual stuff, but everything is greyed out. So i tried it with a 3rd party program called EASEUS Partition Magic (works on Windows7).

All went well, but i noticed that i couldnt use any files on the new hdd larger than 50mb (videos wouldnt play etc). Then my entire system slowed down, if i were to move a window around it would get framerate lag and become choppy. I restarted my computer and the hard drive is no longer there, and appears as "unallocated space". No matter how many times i initialize and format it, it returns to unallocated space every time i restart the computer.

So what am i doing wrong here? Also, should i make it a Logical or Primary drive?

Its a SATA 500gb hdd. Im using windows 7.

EDIT:

Seems like the hard drive is very unstable. After a few minutes, all files becomes corrupted, even if i copy them back to my C drive. What the **** is wrong with this HDD?? gahhh

I never dropped a hard drive in a driveway, must be mistaken me with someone else lol.

It seems as if the MBR is broken or something, ive tried different tools but none of them even works on windows 7.

It sounds totally ****ed. It's pretty obvious, right? I don't know anything about bad HDD.

I'd replace it.

Specifically what model is it? (the HDD)

download

http://www.hdsentinel.com/

tell me what it tells you about the health of that drive

post here

EDIT: i've subscribed to the thread so i should see as soon as you post again Rav....i know how important this probably is to you

It doesnt report any problems at all, says performance and health is excellent. However, i notice that whenever i use or write files, everything in the "Disk Performance" tab remains at 0 except for Disk Activity (100), while my C drive has numbers all over. Its as if the program cant retrieve the data needed to show me.

All large files (50mb and over) become corrupted when i move them to the new drive (original copy on C drive is still ok). The write speed is also insanely slow, around 2.5 mb per second. Something is not right here...

drives.png

well shit dog i can't find if that's an IDE or SATA drive. anyway check the cable and make sure it's on right IF IT'S IDE. if it's SATA you can't really mess that up but I'd say try a different cable and also plugging it into a different spot.

Yeah its SATA, ive tried plugging into different ports but to no use. Il try to get my hands on a different cable.

I also noticed something fishy about the whole thing. The box it came from doesnt match the specs of the HDD at all. The box says 5400 rpm, but multiple software programs says its 7200. I also noticed that the company that sold me it (Iceberg technologies) says its a Samsung EcoGreen F2 on their website, but software indicates that its actuall a Western Digital WD5000AAKS.

Im so ****ing confused right now. Did they place the wrong hard drive in the box or something?

wtf!? can we get a pic of the drive itself? i still think the drives bad no matter what HD Sentinel says though man. sorry

Tried using the official software from western digital but:

watttttttt.png

****ing thing sucks. Il take it out and take a closer look at it, going to sleep now. Thanks for everyones help btw.

Western Digital WD5000AAKS.

I've got one of these. It's my slowest SATA drive, by far. But it's not like 4 days retarded slow.

I plan to retire it when I get a 2TB drive, and just use it for backup data.

Is the drive new, or what?

he says it is but i think it was damaged before making it to him. should return it

Well, its about 6-7 months old now when i think of it. It actually worked perfectly last year for about 2 months straight, but then it crashed along with my motherboard, and ever since then its been like this. I gave up on it but i just now tried to get it to work again.

OOOH....well in that case dude yeah i'd bet your power supply is bad and it's eating other components of your computer. I'd either get a fair PSU tester or take your comptuer in to the local computer shop to have it tested. If they say they can't test it right there and then, they're being douches. it takes no time to just test the PSU....now changing it is another story.

Back