HDMI for Monitors?

ShinRa

Companion Cube
Reaction score
REALLY quick question. I have an HD monitor for my PC, and in a few weeks I'm building a rig and putting an ATI 5850 in there. In order to get the HD to work, I know I need an HDMI cable, but does any cable do? Is it just like using the PS3 HDMI cable that I hook up to my TV? Or do I need to buy an HDMI cable specific for computers?

Go ahead, laugh at me.:stare:

Why do you need an HDMI cable to get HD? Monitors can use whatever resolution they support with a standard DVI cable.

But yes, all HDMI cables are the same.

Shut up!

Whats different about them?

There are four different connector types and category 1 and 2 cable. Earlier cable may not properly support newer HDMI versions as well.

Interesting. I only thought there was one type :/

Guess I just got lucky when I blind bought one for my PS3.

So for my monitor with a HD5850, it says i need a cable with revision 1.3, make sense?

ShinRa http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

HDMI is for TVs or TV related appliances.

Bluray player into PC monitor for instance or PS3 into PC monitor. You want to use DVI or DisplayPort. DVI is easiest and practically all monitors have a DVI port anyway.

No they are not.

But displayport and HDMI as similar as they are are not the same thing. The connectors are totally different. So in terms of asking which HDMI cable to buy display port doesn't really apply, right?

What? I said he should use DVI or Display port. Using HDMI for computer to monitor is just silly. I mean you can do it but...why? DVI is cheaper and less of a head ****. If you have HDMI on your monitor I'd save it so I could have multiple devices plugged into said monitor and could switch between them i.e. PC and PS3.

As most everyone already knows, the main thing is that HDMI cable can carry audio as well as video. So if you use HDMI for a video card - there is no way to get the audio from a video card, of course.

Since ShinRa's monitor has 2 inputs, HDMI and DVI, he would want to use DVI for the computer, then he will still have an HDMI port available for whatever else - a cable TV box, for example. Then, it's as simple as using the monitor's GUI to switch between the two, depending on whether he wants to watch TV or use his computer on the monitor. A cable TV box will put the audio through the HDMI cable and through the monitor speakers. A computer's video card will not.

Much appreciated. This deal was all settled once you guys brought in the fact of a TV. I already have a 40" sharp lcd tv in my room, the 23" monitor is strictly for the computer, so its good to know i just need to use the dvi cable. I'm currently using an old vga - dvi adapter to get my HD monitor to work on my vga card.

Yeah, DVI is better than VGA. I'm personally looking forward to getting a widescreen LCD with DVI. I've never even used DVI yet, only VGA. (my CRT is VGA)

Same here lol. The widescreen looks sharper than my crt, but I can tell there's much more to be had with DVI, especially when I'm looking at pictures and stuff....ick......vga was not meant for widescreen lcd's lol.

DVI should be noticeably sharper and clearer [than VGA], from what I've heard. Also, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be affected by interference, being digital.

I have this fluorescent lamp behind my VGA monitor, and if I move it close to the monitor, the image on my screen wobbles. With DVI, it wouldn't do that. (I'm pretty sure)

What? I said he should use DVI or Display port. Using HDMI for computer to monitor is just silly. I mean you can do it but...why? DVI is cheaper and less of a head ****. If you have HDMI on your monitor I'd save it so I could have multiple devices plugged into said monitor and could switch between them i.e. PC and PS3.

I was just talking about his specific of wether or not any HDMI cable will do. And that answer seems to be yes. HDMI cable isn't all that expensive these days but you are right, DVI works the same.

Back