Heads Up

TaiFong

Reaction score
http://www.smnnews.com/index.php?su...83318&archive=&cnshow=news&start_from=&ucat=&

From the link:

Steam gets tricky by siN

For those of you metalheads who are also online gamers, it has come to the attention of the gaming community that Steam by VALVe software, the program that is used for the mod Counterstrike, has been (and still is) gathering huge amounts of information off of personal computers that have Steam installed.

To quote:

"1) Browse to steam dir
2) Search for gcache.gcf
3) Open the 400+ meg file in a hex editor
4) Search for 'kazaa' and 'mp3'
----
5) Ponder
6) Curse and uninstall steam"

The question is why is Steam looking at Kazaa user names, mp3 contents, HTM records, and more? Those suspect of these activities are pointing fingers that these actions might somehow be linked to the RIAA and it's attempt to browse through users files and folders in a vain attempt to see what people are downloading. Just a heads up.

please, just delete this.

edit. there should seriously be somekind of "auto-delete if post contains words steam+search+kazaa" -system in here.

/me looks for the 2-day-old thread covering the same shit

****ING USE THE SEARCH.. THERE HAVE BEEN POSTS ABOUT THIS FOR DAYS AND DAYS.. LEARN TO USE A COMPUTER, YOU ****ING RETARD, A CACHE FILE USES UNUSED SPACE ON YOUR HARDDRIVE, IE SPACE WHICH HAS BEEN DELETED BUT NOT WRITTEN OVER

Originally posted by worldspawn
****ING USE THE SEARCH.. THERE HAVE BEEN POSTS ABOUT THIS FOR DAYS AND DAYS.. LEARN TO USE A COMPUTER, YOU ****ING RETARD, A CACHE FILE USES UNUSED SPACE ON YOUR HARDDRIVE, IE SPACE WHICH HAS BEEN DELETED BUT NOT WRITTEN OVER
Wow...lighten up a bit.

Wow, you guys are a bunch of bitching little children aren't you? Sorry, I don't spend day in and day out on these forums. I just heard about this from another site and thought I would post it. Grow up you morons.

Originally posted by TaiFong
Wow, you guys are a bunch of bitching little children aren't you? Sorry, I don't spend day in and day out on these forums. I just heard about this from another site and thought I would post it. Grow up you morons.
using search before posting is VERY simple and improves the forums.. people like you make the forums complete shit. grow up moron.. :bounce:

Originally posted by Direwolf
This has already been coverd. On a FAT32 system the area that the cache is allocated isnt blanked until used. The random stuff on that section of the harddrive still appears there so people have made theories about "spyware" and other stuff. It is not to be believed.

Every time I come here to find out some news or something, all I see is posts by an assortment of immature asshats that get their panties in a bunch over a freaking game. It's pathetic, really.

Every time I come here to find out some news or something, all I see is posts by an assortment of immature asshats that get their panties in a bunch over a freaking game. It's pathetic, really.
don't come back kthx.

then dont come here. or learn how to use the search funtion, like the rest of us immature asshats.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you. It's sad that these are the people representing the online HL community day in, day out. No one should be treated like that on here. I can't apologize enough for the immature assholes that populate these forums.

Actually, my second post was more directed toward "worldspawn"

I mean, look at this post:

"Learn how to use a computer, you fucking retard"

Wow. Who pissed in your OJ this morning?

Actually, my second post was more directed toward "worldspawn"

I mean, look at this post:

"Learn how to use a computer, you fucking retard"

Wow. Who pissed in your OJ this morning?
meh.. tired of seeing this topic, if you can't use the search, stick to posting in threads and not making them.

No offense to the other people other than worldspawn. I'm sure not everyone around here is like that. A repost is a repost. My bad. You don't have to act like I just killed your dog.

I swear though, gaming forums are the worst for this kind of stuff. It's obviously due to the abundance of kiddies.

No offense to the other people other than worldspawn. I'm sure not everyone around here is like that. A repost is a repost. My bad. You don't have to act like I just killed your dog.
i don't have a dog, dog. .... it's simple, you don't know how overcrowded this forum is with reposts and bull. If you're going to make a thread, use search if it's not based on speculation, or if you don't know if it's never been posted.

toughen up :cheers:

Originally posted by not28
You're very fickle aren't you.

Yes. I hate your avatar, your name sucks and the air temperature is not to my liking at present. It is currently 79.2 degrees where it should be 78.8. I mean, WTF!?!?!?!

Yes. I hate your avatar, your name sucks and the air temperature is not to my liking at present. It is currently 79.2 degrees where it should be 78.8. I mean, WTF!?!?!?!
hey ur hott! asl

http://www.smnnews.com/index.php?su...83318&archive=&cnshow=news&start_from=&ucat=&

From the link:

Steam gets tricky by siN

For those of you metalheads who are also online gamers, it has come to the attention of the gaming community that Steam by VALVe software, the program that is used for the mod Counterstrike, has been (and still is) gathering huge amounts of information off of personal computers that have Steam installed.

To quote:

"1) Browse to steam dir
2) Search for gcache.gcf
3) Open the 400+ meg file in a hex editor
4) Search for 'kazaa' and 'mp3'
----
5) Ponder
6) Curse and uninstall steam"

The question is why is Steam looking at Kazaa user names, mp3 contents, HTM records, and more? Those suspect of these activities are pointing fingers that these actions might somehow be linked to the RIAA and it's attempt to browse through users files and folders in a vain attempt to see what people are downloading. Just a heads up.

I dont think your parents are very proud of u are they

Fools. This is all part of Valve's global domination strategy:

1. Collect lists of people's MP3's and send them to RIAA
2. ???
3. Profit

That rings a bell. Wasn't it from Rocco's Modern Life? Or some other inane show?

Seriously, this is pretty dumb actually. You have a 400 MB file which means it has 400,000,000 bytes of information. I'm pretty sure in those 400,000,000 bytes you can find complete works of Shakespeare, your phone number and the name of God if you search hard enough.

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
Seriously, this is pretty dumb actually. You have a 400 MB file which means it has 400,000,000 bytes of information. I'm pretty sure in those 400,000,000 bytes you can find complete works of Shakespeare, your phone number and the name of God if you search hard enough.
i've never had shakespeare on my computer :(

Re: Re: Heads Up

Originally posted by coolio2man
I dont think your parents are very proud of u are they

This has no relevance to anything whatsoever.

It doesn't surprise me with some of the language you come out with.

I can never remember Shakespear saying:
"If music be the mother ****ing food of love, then play on you ****ing ass hat retard" so we already knew you didn't have any on your computer.

These Steam paranoia threads are really the best of the best. I especially like how people link it to the RIAA and the federal government espionage programs.

TaiFong is probably one of those survivalist psychos who have an anti-tank weapon in their house and think the government is after them and looks something like this:

Back