Heat wave effect.

lans

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before.

I was wondering weather HL2 had the heat/humidity/whatever you call it :p effect the one which distorts air when aeroplanes take off has that kind of effect, I mean Far cry had it.

I concluded from the E32003 demo that when Gordon stands infront of the fire and sees that model made out of water - the effect doesn't actually take place even though gordon is pretty near the fire. I suppose this is a shader?

Yes, its a simple shader sprite thingy.

Would be a nice touch, and I bet it will be implemented.

You sure, or your betting it will be implemented? ;)

I'd normally e-mail valve but I'm sure someone knows the answer already.

its already in hl2. you dont have to mod it in or anything.

lans said:
You sure, or your betting it will be implemented? ;)

I'd normally e-mail valve but I'm sure someone knows the answer already.

I havn't seen it in any of the videos, but it's super simple to add, if you ever make your own mod and what not.

serpret said:

Cool. I've never seen this effect so i'm not really fussed either way, but still, cool.

can anybody point me towards the video with the model made of water?

yes, this effect is in the game, check the "tunnels" e3 vid, when he catches the guy on fire, above the fire there is heat distortion (methinks) or at least it looks like that

Farcry did a really great job on its shader effects... makes up for the ABYSSMAL voice acting :)

"How do I know I can trust you?" haha, classic

As far as I can tell..there is no heat wave effect. I'm judging this on the videos so there could still be a heat effect...I guess will have to wait and see.

serpret said:

How the hell would you know? I have seen no evidence that this effect is in the game, but if it's as simple as some would have us believe then no doubt Valve have done it.

Obviously that strider thing is a completely different effect :rolleyes:

iamaelephant said:
How the hell would you know? I have seen no evidence that this effect is in the game, but if it's as simple as some would have us believe then no doubt Valve have done it.

bababab aaa beta

iamaelephant said:

Have you not seen the water? If there is image warping anywhere else, then it is obviously possible on the fire... k newb?

Woops, I meant to say that if it's not implemented into HL2 you can mod it in. All you have to do is write the shader for it...

Some of you guys make up things a lot, and it gives me a major headache.

i thought there was some email from valve regarding this (saying it was in)? i dont feel like searching the massive post to find out for sure though.

Fire doesn't have to have heat distortion. Not all fires are hot enough to cause an abrupt enough change in the refraction angle of air.

Considering games like Brute Force have shader effects like that (and a fairly similar, but exagerrated effect exists with the Strider cannon-thing) it would not be that hard to create (you could probably just switch around some variables on the strider distortion effect instead of creating a whole new shader).

hiln said:
bababab aaa beta

even though I'm against the beta - it's good to know sometimes that it answers some small questions like these.

To others: I know it's probably a very small thing yet it adds a major impact on realism and shaders definately seem to be te strongest point of source, so they must have something like this.

I thought this was mentioned, in that physics movie from E3 2K3

lans said:
I concluded from the E32003 demo that when Gordon stands infront of the fire and sees that model made out of water - the effect doesn't actually take place even though gordon is pretty near the fire. I suppose this is a shader?

Those videos were made one year ago. A lot has changed since then(hopefully)

Back