Hellboy 2:The Golden Army

C

Cavalry

http://movies.ign.com/articles/849/849089p1.html

IGN said:
The time has come. The embargo has been lifted. Let my notebook and digital voice recorder spew forth details on director Guillermo del Toro's upcoming comic book sequel, Hellboy II: The Golden Army. That's right; yours truly, along with a handful of press from other outlets, had the opportunity to visit the Budapest set of the film and what we saw was nothing short of amazing. The access we were granted was generous, the cast and crew were incredibly open, and del Toro himself (a self-proclaimed fanboy at heart) went out of his to make us truly feel welcome ? a difficult task, I would imagine, when you have 10 extra bodies standing over your shoulder watching your every move.

**** yeah Hellboy. Saw the trailer when I went to see Cloverfield. Looks neat.

Sniper, we appreciate the movie threads, but for the sake of keeping the amount of threads down, make sure you search for already existing threads first.

Johann looks damn cool.
hellboy-ii-the-golden-army-20080201104717489.jpg

Q: Are you getting closer to making At the Mountains of Madness?

Del Toro: I never know. I wish I was, but Universal has acquired the rights. That is great news for me because the rights have been in limbo and I have ? together with Michael Elizalde ? we have financed designs. But we will see because [the film] is R rated, it is expensive, and it doesn't have a happy ending. I think that big scale horror, which we used to have with Alien, The Shining, and The Exorcist before everybody thought horror needed to be re-conceptualized? I think movies like that should be back at some point. So I am patiently waiting my turn.

I'd be more interested if Hellboy wasn't in it. That whole universe looks great, like Pan's Labyrinth, but I'm not a fan of Hellboy.

First one was alright, the sequel is apparently much better.

Haven't seen the first one, is it worth seeing?

Very much so.
It's a little slow but gets very action packed as it moves on.

The artistry in the film is fantastic.

Johann looks damn cool.
hellboy-ii-the-golden-army-20080201104717489.jpg

Awesome, he's my favorite. His helmet is done well but his suit is very, very, meh. I like the new helmet, but they should have stuck with the type of clothing he wears in the Novels.

His suit in the books is really plain though, and probably would just look boring in live action.
JohannKraus.jpg

Yeah, Mignola's take is (as always) more visually interesting, but I'm still not convinced it wouldn't just read as a guy in fatigues with a fake plastic head.

'kin love Mignola's work with the Hellboy universe.

I thought that the entire movie was terrible except for a few spare moments. Mainly the movie was ripping off other movies.
There was a scene in which the bad guy threw this face hugger onto another guy. Another scene which awoke the Gold Army, resembled both The Matrix pod scene and face huggers hatching. The pixies was a direct rip-off of Harry Potter. The faces of various large creatures resembled the seashell guy in Pirates of The Caribbean. There was some moments that were edited in the wrong place such as the German guy having his custom made suit helmet shattered, only to be replaced seconds later. The ending was very obvious on who was going to die. The Golden Army has fire inside them, yet the inferno girl could have melted them easily, or why they didn't melt in the first place. The giant rock scene was from Tomb Raider. When Abe was trying to shut the door in the pixie scene, he should have suffocated granted the door shut tight because of the air being sucked out. The opening made me go "wtf am I watching? Pinocchio Lord of The Rings?!" Piecing together a crown, much like Tomb Raider. The witch scene was jaw dropping and was the only real good part.
97% of the movie was about lame drama and humor to make you smirk. 1% of the movie went to Barry Manilow which is pitiful. The other 2% goes to the 1/2 hour worth of actual action you would expect from a Hellboy movie. You just know that spear of destiny like object will later come up. Also how will Hellboy end the human race if he stopped it in the first movie?! THE MOVIE SUCKED! *Oh and they had to throw in every freak out there. It felt like Men in Black actually. This is it bscly: http://regulus2.azstarnet.com/blogs/philmguy/10190 The trailer was all the good parts or the action scenes.

It does seem like, from the trailers, that del Toro did as many drugs as possible... drew up as many creatures as he could... and then threw them all into the movie.

I'll probably wait for this to come on DVD as the first Hellboy bored me a little but it was still a FANTASTIC movie.

I thought that the entire movie was terrible except for a few spare moments. Mainly the movie was ripping off other movies.
There was a scene in which the bad guy threw this face hugger onto another guy. Another scene which awoke the Gold Army, resembled both The Matrix pod scene and face huggers hatching. The pixies was a direct rip-off of Harry Potter. The faces of various large creatures resembled the seashell guy in Pirates of The Caribbean. There was some moments that were edited in the wrong place such as the German guy having his custom made suit helmet shattered, only to be replaced seconds later. The ending was very obvious on who was going to die. The Golden Army has fire inside them, yet the inferno girl could have melted them easily, or why they didn't melt in the first place. The giant rock scene was from Tomb Raider. When Abe was trying to shut the door in the pixie scene, he should have suffocated granted the door shut tight because of the air being sucked out. The opening made me go "wtf am I watching? Pinocchio Lord of The Rings?!" Piecing together a crown, much like Tomb Raider. The witch scene was jaw dropping and was the only real good part.
97% of the movie was about lame drama and humor to make you smirk. 1% of the movie went to Barry Manilow which is pitiful. The other 2% goes to the 1/2 hour worth of actual action you would expect from a Hellboy movie. You just know that spear of destiny like object will later come up. Also how will Hellboy end the human race if he stopped it in the first movie?! THE MOVIE SUCKED! *Oh and they had to throw in every freak out there. It felt like Men in Black actually. This is it bscly: http://regulus2.azstarnet.com/blogs/philmguy/10190 The trailer was all the good parts or the action scenes.

also the blatant...
rip off from Shadow of Collossus with the giant rock monster that doubles as the entrance to the ghost city. Take note of the recycled characteristics of the kid-eating-monster from Pans Labyrinth when it comes to Abe and the witch

"My name's Hool10 and I like to bitch."
Called a criticism. :p Go watch the movie and find out for yourself. Some of the more "action parts" such as something that didn't involve lame family drama, was the troll market scene. There was just so much going on that my brain was like "SLOW THE **** DOWN!". It didn't help neither that everything was just a blur because there was really just 500 thousand monsters as the camera moved fast. The movie even had these guys in many scenes:
bugcup.jpg

They had a scene in which for comedy, the chief was walking past a room with an alien wrapping around people as they were trying to control it. That is from Men in Black as Will Smith was delivering the alien baby. IMO Del Toro should be sued for blatant copyright infringement of other films. What made the first so great was:
  1. Ass kicking from a Hellboy film.
  2. Excelent use of make-up rather than too much CGI (but there was even more CGI in this one).
  3. Awesome props.
  4. The CGI looked natural.
  5. The funny scenes were funny and put in the right spot.
I mean this movie was a complete opposite of that except for the make-up and props.
What happened as well to our FBI guy in the first film? Also it's looking like a Fantastic 4 movie now than like the last one being centered on Hellboy. Director looks like Roger Moore too, go figure.

Not only have I seen it, I saw it before you did. And I still think you're wrong.

****, MIB has aliens and Will Smith, it must be a ripoff of independance day.

Good God, that list of stuff Hellboy "rips off" is such bologna that it makes my head spin. Tomb Raider? Seriously? At least half the stuff being complained about are actual bits of folklore or things that appeared in the comics at least 7 years ago. The other half is just silly.

Seriously, unless they're using names and props from other movies, it's not copyright infringement.
Just because del Toro thought it would be cool to gives nods to other movies that he enjoys doesn't mean he's as bad as those dickheads in the game industry that ripped off like 900 other games by using the actual content from the games.

I think I'll go see the movie just for the sake of seeing all of these 'ripped off' scenes.

Johann Krauss was the shit, and the locker scene was hilarious.

Back