HELP!!!!!! Latency issue

K

killabyte

I tried everything i can think of, please help me. I can not play counter-strike source or HL2 DM since my latency is like 300-500 though when i ping the server list i show 42-30 latency, i lag like mad. It is only the MP part of HL2. Here is my specs...

2.4 ghz P4
1024 RAM
ATI 9800 Pro
broadband connection.

I had service pack 2 for xp but went back to SP 1 because of this issue since soe ppl had trouble with their games using SP2. Still same issue.

I even lag major when i host a game.

Things i tried...

aside from going back to SP1 for XP Pro

figured maybe my anti-virus may be hurting it? maybe a port needs opening? I shut both off and same story. maybe then it was the built in windows firewall, i had that off all the time since i rather my 3rd party firewall so that is a no.

Drivers? i update often for security.

I wrote valve and my isp so far nothing from them, the steam submission for help was weeks ago and all i get ae e-mails saying..."please be patient as we answer e-mails as they are recieved" if that is so they have either 2 ppl for tech support OR lots of issues. SP is great but i wanna play with you guys on-line!!! *cries like a baby*

if u have experienced this or know someone who has plz! post.

Type rate in the console and tell me what it says. Do the same with cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate.

Also, what is cl_smooth set to? 1 or 0?

Additionally, check your Steam settings.

Open Steam > Settings > Internet and check what speed is listed there.

I'm betting it's set lower than your connection speed

thank you!!!!!!!! :cheers:

rate is "7500"

cl_updaterate "20"

cl_cmdrate "30"

cl_smooth "1"

my connection settings is at DSL/256k

My friend has the exact issue as you.

We have tried everything. And I mean EVERYTHING.
He only lags like crazy in games on the source engine. His rig is basically the same as mine, except for his pc being an IBM. Someone said something about it being sound related lag, so we disabled all sound, still no luck.

He has:

winxp sp 1
768 mb ram
2.6 ghz processor
radeon 9800 pro 128mb
onboard integrated audio

We really are clueless on what the problem is, but have had no luck in fixing it. On server list he pings 50-100, in game it shoots to over 1000.

I just read on steampowered that maybe alt-ctrl-del and then set the priority of hl2.exe to LOW.

Supposively some people have had success with this method. I haven't had time to try it yet, though.

Have you guys tried to connect to a hldm/cs server and see if you have latency problems there too?

If you create a server yourself do you have the same problems? Probably the rate tho. Try raising it

creationist said:
I just read on steampowered that maybe alt-ctrl-del and then set the priority of hl2.exe to LOW.

Supposively some people have had success with this method. I haven't had time to try it yet, though.

i will give that a try and post back, thanks again guys :cheers:

Ok, here's the deal. We tried the ctl-alt-dlt thing and it worked. Why, we don't know, but the fact is that it did.

Soooooooo...

While playing HLDM/CSS, hit the three magic keys. Go to processes, and right click hl2.exe

Set the priority to LOW and exit and go back into the game.
Keep an eye on your ping as it decreases...
--Have to do this every time you play, because the priority resets itself. If anyone knows a way to make it permanent, please tell. Also, maybe VALVe should be told about this problem and the newfound solution?

Oh ya, if it doesnt work for you guys then pour some warm pepsi into your cd-rom drive and slide a slice of turkey into your floppy. That should sort things out.

-creationist

wow that is interesting, you would think lowereing the priority setting would give it less system resources therefore make it lag more.

:d

See :p (it's in Lan ;o )
ping.jpg

lol valve should fix this
i havent got the problem so
but i do have a major fps problem and i dont get it
specs:
2.4 intel
640 ram
geforce (6800) V99999 GE (256 mb)
got broadband connection
and onboard sound
help me :(

FIRST OFF!!!

thanks guys for responding to help out, the night i was try the 3 finger salute to hl2.exe and update from steam happened! ITS FIXED!!! It was them! now i get ping like normal!

no longer do i have to scroll up to switch weapons then go eat dinner and hope when i come back the new weapon will be pulled :)

to honor my experience here is a little jingle!

<embed src="http://www.saintsationreunion.com/movies/Mister_Stick_-_The_Low_Ping_Song.mp3"autostart= "true" loop="1" ></embed>

PLayed CS for years.. ping allways good.. now with source and steam LAGGGGGGGGGGGGG. This really sucks.. Increased memory to fis prob.. no result.. I dont get it, I'm connecting to my own server on the net, on which I could play CS 1.5 just fine. Battlefield vietnam runs just fine. Lowered my rate to 7500 (surprisingly this helped a little), but other then the small decrease from 200 to 180 it still sucks. Gonna try the ctrl alt del thingy now, if that doesn't work Im gonna deinstall all steam progs and reinstall just the Source progs. Anyone got any better suggestions Id like to hear em

Back