Help with compile error

Reaction score
Im trying to compile a large outside map for gmod10 and i keep getting an error. Now i understand the error but i'm not sure as to what memory its refering to, Ram? HD space? Virtual mem? or how to fix it.

This error has came up while compiling another map that was inside but it was very large as well and the only way i could find that fixed it was to shrink the entire map but thats not an option in this case.

Attachments

• compile error.JPG
    compile error.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 159
This error will cause your map to fail compiling correctly

Description:

Vrad.exe did not have enough memory to finish it's task. There are two causes:
1) You are running low on memory (ram + pagefile).
2) Vrad.exe is chocking on some very complicated bit of your map, causing it to ask a lot of memory which doesn't exist (like infinite sizes).

Solution:
If you are running low on free memory (ctr+alt+del to see that) try increasing the pagefile if you aren't letting Windows take care of it.
If not, use cordon tools to isolate the problemarea in your map (might be a broken brush, or simply too complex geometry) and see what you can do to fix it.

Radosław Rak suggests using the custom compile tools (see below), as they dont seem to be troubled by this error.

Dan Prati informed me that is mostly a problem with very large, open maps, or particularly detailed ones (or as part of an engine limitation to the total amount of lightmaps). Reducing the lightmap resolution on larger surfaces, or particularly complex objects, can fix this problem. If this is not acceptable, or does not fix the error, reducing lightmap resolution across the entire map may be necessary.
This provides a solution when there is no single map element that is causing the error, and simply deleting map objects won't fix the problem.

See also:
Reference: Finding the unfindable
Amckern's custom compile tools

---Hope this helps.

Im trying to compile a large outside map for gmod10 and i keep getting an error. Now i understand the error but i'm not sure as to what memory its refering to, Ram? HD space? Virtual mem? or how to fix it.

This error has came up while compiling another map that was inside but it was very large as well and the only way i could find that fixed it was to shrink the entire map but thats not an option in this case.

shrinking a map can be harmful especially if it contains complex brush works....

Well i have a gig of ram and when i compile maps that give this error i see in task manager that vrad is using like 750mb+ of memory and hammer is like 150mb or more at times when running for a long time than u got steam using 30mb and like 30 or 40 other processes using another 50 to 100mb. So im getting this error because vrad has run out of ram memory?

Back