Help with XSI tutorial...

N

Ne0Griever

I'm working on that Cobblestone Alley tutorial, and #7, how do you know if it sucessfully made the mini-box a child of box1? Cause when I middle-click it, one of the axis arrows on the model flashes yellow and I have no idea if it works or not.

If you could actually provide us with the tutorial, we could possibly help to see where your stuck at...

u can tell if it works because both boxes should be highlighted and one of them should be a lighter gray than the other... i think i was at this part too and got confused, i have never used parent and child stuff yet tho in my models that i have been trying to make, i dont really understand the use of it?

-merc

Parent child stuff is fairly basic. If you are making something like a robot you can do easy poses using parenting instead of having to rig it all up. Say you want to rotate the upper leg, naturally the lower leg moves with it. Set the centre of rotation of the upper leg at the hip, and make the upper leg the parent of the lower leg. Then when the upper leg is moved the lower one will follow it. So you make the centre of rotation of the lower leg at the knee and make it the parent of the foot. Then the foot will follow the lower leg. Good for basic poses without the time it takes to rig up (but obviously won't work too well with organic stuff).

Or if you want your character to hold an object, you make the hand the parent of it and when the hand moves the object will move without you having to manually move it to match up with the hand.

Press 8 to open an explorer and then press f to find the object. If the mini_box is under the box1 then all is well. You can drag and drop it to the right position if nesecery.

Back