Hey wait a minute! Does Kleiner work for the G-Man?

A

ashwort

Crazy, I know. But, uh... look at it this way. At the end of HL1, Gordon blows up a Giant Alien Baby and the G-Man whisks him off onto a transdimensional trolley, then puts him in the deep freeze for ten years. Then, he pulls him out and sticks him on the train to City 17. Presumably, the G-Man puts him in the same blue uniforms as all the other citizens, since he doesn't seem to attract special notice at this point.

Where'd the Hazard Suit go?

It's easy to imagine somebody with as many tricks as the G-Man peeling Gordon out of his suit and sticking him in something inconspicuous.

What's hard to imagine is Kleiner getting hold of it in a) a way that did not involve him knowing the G-Man and b) a way that did not cause him to comment to Gordon on how the suit got back after he teleported out to Xen.

Personally, I think that Breen, Mossman, Vance, Kleiner, Barney, and the G-Man all had lunch together in the Citadel every other Friday. It makes the story SO much more consistent.
;-)

Or c) Kleiner has an ENTIRELY different suit, but i see where your coming from tho

Yeah, I thought of that, but no! It's the same suit.
Kleiner says "I'm eager to see if your old suit still fits". (\hl2\sound\vo\k_lab\kl_suitfits02.wav in "source sounds.gcf")

He also says he's "modified" it and that it "still fits you like a glove". It's the same suit.

Actually it's not the same suit.

1) It looks different.

and

2) The suit from HL1 was called the Mark 4. This one is the Mark 5.

Kiva128 said:
Actually it's not the same suit.

1) It looks different.

and

2) The suit from HL1 was called the Mark 4. This one is the Mark 5.

Kleiner made modifications. Keep up! :)

I think this is what many would call a "Plot Hole" - how did Kleiner get Gordons old suit?

Unless - when G Man teleported you out of Black Mesa he left your suit behind. Kleiner then just had to wander along (wasn't he the Scientist with you when you jumped to Xen?) and pck it up.

I don't recall revisiting Black Mesa in the end sequence of HL1. Anyway, that's what I was referring to with b) -- if Kleiner doesn't really know what's going on, I'd expect him to say "When we found your hazard suit we assumed you were dead", or something along those lines. If he knows stuff he's not telling, it makes more sense that he wouldn't comment on how he got it.

This kind of does make sense though.... I mean think about it. You've been gone for how long? Like 17 years or something? And then you show up in City 17 and it's like everyone expected you to be back around that time. They either don't care where you've been or they already know...

Maybe he had more than one suit.

Remember when you first get it in HL1 there are 3 suit holders in the locker room. 2 are missing, maybe were in use by other people or in storage (for HL2 and HL3 ;))

I actually think this is just a plot hole, its not really a big one and I doubt many people will notice it (other than you :p) when playing though the game

The other suits were used by other scientists that you will find laying about in Xen.

GMan says that you can keep your suit because "you earned it" at the end of HL1.

This threads theory is good so far...no plot hole I can see...yet

also, how did Barney get Gordon's crowbar??? maybe he dropped his crowbar and his suit. check mate.

HEV were widely used.
Hench the construction and developement of the hazard course.

The Long Jump module was created specially for the conditions of Xen.

However went to an offworld locations had a HEV suit on. (expection of Barney)
However handled offworld material had a HEV suit on.

When we first visit Kliener's lab. The closet across from the entrance contains the HEV suit and it's container.

The second time, the closet contains Dog. No HEV container. Nothing we saw in their originally.

Magic Closet?
GMan doing he's stuff?

eatbugs said:
also, how did Barney get Gordon's crowbar??? maybe he dropped his crowbar and his suit. check mate.

Probably sarcasm.

But, Gordon did drop he's weapons when he was ambushed by the two Marines prior to being dumped into the waste compactor.

When Barney rescues you at the beginning of HL2 and brings Kleiner up on the screen Kleiner says "Gordon Freeman, I expected more warning of your arrival", or something to that effect. When Alex rescues you after you get trapped she says "funny you showing up on this day in particular".
The point is that they obviously knew you were coming back at some time, even though no-one had seen you since Black Mesa. I'm sure it is your original suit and crowbar that Kleiner and Barney give you. Kleiner does say that he made some modifications.
All this would probably mean that the G-Man told the resistance about your coming back and gave your stuff to Kleiner for safe keeping. The resistance could even have bid for your services, but thats another thread.

Yeah, the GMan must have been speaking of Gordon and making everyone ready for his eventual return. Also, the GMan dropped Gordon in City 17 on that particular day with a reason, as we see.

It was a week later, and I'm sure Kleiner with his knowledge of physics knows how to move a suit containment system out of a cupboard and then put Dog in there later.

More disturbing about Kleiners lab is there seems to be a few things wrong the second time you arrive.

The first time, the main entrance door is small, but the second time it is bigger. Look at some of the windows in the teleport room and the main room.

GiaOmerta said:
HEV were widely used.
Hench the construction and developement of the hazard course.

The Long Jump module was created specially for the conditions of Xen.

However went to an offworld locations had a HEV suit on. (expection of Barney)
However handled offworld material had a HEV suit on.

When we first visit Kliener's lab. The closet across from the entrance contains the HEV suit and it's container.

The second time, the closet contains Dog. No HEV container. Nothing we saw in their originally.

Magic Closet?
GMan doing he's stuff?

G-man

G-man and Breen are NOT on the same side (not yet, but that may change). G-man, the Resistance, the Vortigaunts, Kliner, Gordon, Alyx, are all connected together and fight for the same side, which G-man pulls the strings.

Fido

GiaOmerta said:
Probably sarcasm.

But, Gordon did drop he's weapons when he was ambushed by the two Marines prior to being dumped into the waste compactor.

But you got it back a fews secs later... Or maybe that was another one....

kirovman said:
It was a week later, and I'm sure Kleiner with his knowledge of physics knows how to move a suit containment system out of a cupboard and then put Dog in there later.

More disturbing about Kleiners lab is there seems to be a few things wrong the second time you arrive.

The first time, the main entrance door is small, but the second time it is bigger. Look at some of the windows in the teleport room and the main room.

You can actually see the old drinks machine door outside his lab. I don't know how he managed to replace it. Maybe he got DOG to help out?

I think it is fairly safe to say that the G-man is aiding the resistance due to the fact that you see him talking to Odessa Cubbage when you look through the binoculars on the Higway 17 level.

If you noclip across the level you will know this to be true. So yes, the G-man is helping (or guiding) the resistance with how and when they should use Gordon's unique talents.

Sure. It's just a little disillusioning to realize that behind Kleiner's absent-minded-professor facade hides a mind of SINISTER CUNNING.

;-)

Hmm, and Kleiner is actually a person with very strong emotions, too!

switch said:
Maybe he had more than one suit.

Remember when you first get it in HL1 there are 3 suit holders in the locker room. 2 are missing, maybe were in use by other people or in storage (for HL2 and HL3 ;))

I actually think this is just a plot hole, its not really a big one and I doubt many people will notice it (other than you :p) when playing though the game

The other two suits were used I think.

Really, for all we know the suit and crowbar could have turned up at Kleiners door one year later with a post-it on it that said "For Gordo' upon return."
As for the changes to the lab, it would seemt hat Kleiner and his help have been reinforcing the place so it is more hidden now that the teleportation experiments are on hold. Notice the two massive tanks of orange liquid are also missing.

"I took the liberty of relieving you of your weapons... most of them were government's property. As for the suit: I think you've earned it."

Back