Hidden: Source BETA is Released

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Hidden: Source team, who released an alpha version of their mod a short while ago, has now released a beta version of their mod that is already proving quite popular. Here's a list of changes:
[br]
Bug fixes:
  • Fixed spawning inside other players.

• Fixed multiple "Hiddens" created when dead marine players disconnect.

• Altered "impulse 101" functionality; "impulse 71" should be used instead. Also
    made it "sv_cheats" protected.

• Fixed dedicated server crashing with "say" command.

• Dedicated server is more stable and gives less &quot;memory leak&quot; crashes.</li>
Gameplay additions:
  • &quot;617&quot; can only pounce when on the floor.

• Added maps HDN_Executive, HDN_Sewers, HDN_TrainDepot and HDN_Docks.

• Added custom weapon images.

• Implemented custom death notices.

• Added full voice comm. support.

• Friendly fire (mp_friendlyfire) support - 0 = off, 1 = on.</li>
Gameplay tweaks:
  • Increased damage on pipe bombs to 100 at ground zero.

• Increased damage on knife primary attack to 37.

• Removed Hidden font from all text sizes below 16.

• Increased spread on shotgun.

• Modified HDN_Stalkyard to discourage camping.
Sounds like a big improvement on the alpha release so get on down to one of the mirrors below (more on their website) and try it out. Otherwise head on over to their website for more information!
[br]
Client 1A
exe
from Prime Hosting[br]
Client 1A exe
from DeCoy (Lincoln University)[br]
Client 1A
exe
from Ghost Town

How is this. I'm downloading it now, sounds good, but then again, the less money you have in your computer, the better you'll be able to see the Hidden, I suppose, from what I've heard.

Computers have money?!

So THAT'S where my £20 went... bastard.

Actually if you have a 'poor' pc you are now officially shafted, dx6/7 people basically have an invisible Hidden. The unlit model that was in the taster allowed easy cheating methods by unscrupulous players, so the team decided to f**k over dx6/7 players in an attempt to make the game less cheat-able. Sorry to the low end users...dont hurt me.

Not really, I ran at 1024, then bumped it down to 800x600 to compensate for the laggy maps (I'm running on my home computer, with a ti4200, not my beautiful superdeluxe 9800 comp which is at school far away) and when you run at low res, the whole screen seems to shimmer like the hidden, so the only way to see it is not to move at all, and as soon as you do see it you had better hope that it was under your crosshair because if it wasn't then you'll lose it in the time it take to aim at it.

Tons of fun, but will be more fun when I can run it on better hardware and see what I'm doing, lol.

So this is what, a multiplayer game? their website doesn't want to even say what type of game it is.

Could anyone who has installed and payed it please give a few details/opinions.

So, is this worth a download or not? I played an early version which was crap... laggy as hell, screwed-up spawns, and the weapons were on the left side (I can't stand that). Did they at least put the weapons on the right?

its generally much more refined...even the pig sticker has an animation now. the guns are on the right and they've done over the pounce which i think is better now. the spawns are muuuuch better but i have gotten stuck once

i was enjoying very much so...i played one game and totally dominated then i went downhill from there

The game is multiplayer. It is a lot of fun (i wud say that) although has mentioned earlier high end cards are preferable for fun, the low end support is merely in there for that, support. This mod isnt too much fun on a dx6 card, but I dont think many games are...

I could see this being very popular with a single-player mode in later releases with proper levels as the Hidden trying to escape. Or even you and a set of marines fighting off several Hidden... So many possibilities.

I am downloading as we speak and looking forward to it.

website is down and i have no clue what type of mod this is or what its about :cheers:

I've been playing it quite a bit - it's hard to get into the 'hidden' mentality! You see someone and you attack or run, but with the hidden I keep forgetting I'm nearly completely invisible.

I can see why they made the rule that you have to kill the hidden to be the hidden, it makes sure the hidden at least has an ounce of skill, but it gets boring being a marine over and over and over and over, so a server setting that makes a random marine each round the hidden or makes people the hidden in order would be very very nice. That way everybody gets a chance to play the hidden, and if there are gameplay troubles with people hiding as hidden or whatever the server can switch between killer=hidden and random pick mode.

There is a hidden maximum round limit, server set. As default its five, so that poeple dont get to be Hidden and just stay there owning for the rest of the game.

I must say, it's a simple concept, but VERY fun. Reminds me of Zombie Panic and other kind of "impulse" games. I remember hearing the background of this had something to do with it being a mod for HL1 and made by a guy for his friends at college or something. It feels like a fun lil party game, and just, wow. I can't imagine it expanding much more, other than maybe giving the Hidden powerups for how many people he kills or something. Also, I would like to see some CREEPY levels. Some of them have an air of creepiness, but it just comes from the fact that there's an invisible killer running around. So yeah, that's the only logical expansion I can see, it's very rare to see a mod team nearly get it PERFECT on the first Beta. Congrads!

they were thinking of implementing that when you kill a marine as hidden, you can stick him to the wall or something

URRRRRrr?

i just launched hidden source and got this screen instead of the normal one. its never happened before either

Attachments

• diffback.jpg
    diffback.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 270
Yeah there's two menu backgrounds. It's random, I get them pretty well 50-50.

Grrrrr

i tried to connect to a server and it just brought me back to windows!i hate it!

Back