Highway in HL2

maveryck21

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've made a map with a highway in hl2, but when i try to make the traffic i don't know what is the best choice.

I've used path track with func_tracktrain and car models associated to them. But to make the map more realistic i tried to use npc_vehicledriver. At first i had a problem with the npc making the curves in the road, but i altered the script and got to it. The problem i had next was the number of npcs in the road. Now i have 150 cars but if i turn them all to npc_vehicledriver the map turns to slow.

What is the limit of this type of entities?

Do you have any solutions for this problem?

Sorry for my english, any doubt just ask

Thanks

I am making a similar map like this at the moment. You need to remember that by making your traffic npc_vehicledriver, they are NPCs and so take up alot more processing power than just trains following paths. 150 npcs is a hell of alot for Source.

I suggest you look at ShowBudget (type +showbudget in console). Look at NPC, Server Animations and Client Animations - all these will be affected by the amount of NPCs in your map. Check out http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Showbudget for more information.

Then hopefully with a few iterations you can find a good number of NPC cars without straining everybody's computer.

Back