HiT-SQUAD: DE

Chimera

Reaction score
I rebuilt our old DE from scratch this afternoon. /\ count is currently at 1635.

Thoughts?

deC.jpg

looks good, what did you use to save this picture though, whatever you used to compress it realllllly affected the quality, any way we can get a closer look at the details? I can't tell if something is wrong with the barrel on the bottom one, or if its just the compress :p

How about a wire so we can critique it better?

Originally posted by tim8604
looks good, what did you use to save this picture though, whatever you used to compress it realllllly affected the quality, any way we can get a closer look at the details? I can't tell if something is wrong with the barrel on the bottom one, or if its just the compress :p

Max does that on brazil renders, I usually save with bmp and then save as jpg in ps7.

Actually it's a Lightwave render with radiosity saved as a bmp, then put into photoshop to compress it into a jpg. Its the same quality that I've been using, this it the first time anyone said anything about it.

I'll try to upload a better shot and some wires in the morning.

Aliasing = bad...
I can't really judge the model since the image quality is so bad. Also, try making the ground plane a slightly desaturated color, blue looks nice. With radiosity on it gives the gun a nice blue tint on the underside of the model.

Maybe this image is a little better. You were right, the colored background does help some.

deC3.jpg

Still working on the wireframe.

Here's the wire.

decwire.jpg

After I rendered it I noticed there are a few quads I forgot to spit up, but you get the picture.

You can just press Shift+T and it will triangulate the model for you.

Looks great to me. Polygon distribution is nice and even, the parts closest to the player are rounded and detailed more, and it looks very accurate to me. The polycount is pretty reasonable for the amount of detail also. I couldn't really see it until I saw the wire, but this is a very nice model. Great work.

some inaccuracies and wasted polies, but overall nice model

ankalar: I know how to triangulate the model, but I try not to until the very end. That way if I have to change anything I can still work with the quads. I just forgot to before I made the render.

Firegold: Care to elaborate on the inaccuracies and wasted polies?

marked some critical points
either wasted polies or inaccurate parts =|

Most of the indicated parts at the back of the gun are to give more detail where the player will see them. In my opinion, that's not wasted. As far as the barrel goes, the extra cut you see was needed to clear up some shading issues created by the groove cut into the sides of the barrel. I started the groove with a lot less polys, but smooth shading took out all the detail by making it... well smooth. I added extra polys there until had enough definition for my taste.

Those areas could probably be done using fewer polygons without much of a noticable difference, but the count is pretty reasonable already. Those areas are right in the player's face anyway, so a few extra polygons to round those areas is warranted, in my opinion.

Back