HL² FR: How much french is there ingame?

M

MenloR

My dad bought me the french edition of HL². i only realised this when i put the DVD in my computer. I saw the screen popping up in frensh.
But i don't want my HL² to be french. So I am wondering is it only the installation menu that is in french or do the characters ingame also speak french? or subtiteld?

because i don't think the store where my dad bought it is wanting to take back a game that's already been opened.

real fun you get your christmas gift, but you understand shit :s

I'm sure you can change the language on steam.

Go into steam> settings>language and change it to whatever you want. I think you may need to wait for the appropriate language pack to download though.

Haven't tried changing the language myself. Might do if I get bored someday.

You could try deleting it, preloading and then registering your key. If you have an ok connection that may download the english version because of what region you're registered in....think about it!

it could work....

Just change the language options in Steam and it will download the english sound files. Might take a while if you have dialup though.

I got cable
but thanks, i'll try it later this day

keep posting if you have more info about the problem

MenloR said:
i am not french :)

i am dutch ( belgium ) :D

They why did he get the French version?

Try kirovman method, I'm pretty sure it works. I can remember reading it in the Valve info thread.

Levitating Nun said:
You mean you're Belgian, but you speak Dutch ;)
Yeah. He was spamming the local HL2 forum before he came here ;)

So theres actually different voice actors & speech for the various languages? I thought all the versions were in english, just subtitled?

NB. said:
So theres actually different voice actors & speech for the various languages? I thought all the versions were in english, just subtitled?

that was my question :)

MenloR said:
not much german

but it worked, game is in english :)

Just for clarification, which method worked?

Did you need to uninstall first or did you simply change the steam language settings?

ok, I don't get it. You live in country where half of everyone speaks flemish and the other french. You are dutch- I am assuming your family speaks dutch and that's the language you are most fluent in. Why don't you get dutch halflife or flemish halflife instead of english?
besides that, don't the belgian schools make everyone learn french?

because there is no dutch halflife. We are a to small language area to make translations for.

idd there are much more french people in the world than dutch people
and btw dutch = flemisch

and i just installed game, steam started was in frensh, changed language, decripted HL².

And I assume that with the french edition you get frensh subtitles and menu's ingame. And that's something i don't want to.

And yes we do have to learn french as second language and english as third. German is an option.

Almost nothing is translated in Dutch because most people that speak Dutch, also speak English or more languages. We learn English, german and french in our schools (obligatory).

Levitating Nun said:
Make that Dutch with a silly accent :)

make that french you mean, belgium was part of rance before the english give that part to the dutch and after a while we said **** to dutchland and viva la revolution.

And then a part is dutch other part is french.

ulukai said:
make that french you mean, belgium was part of rance before the english give that part to the dutch...
You mean when you were destroyed by English, Prussian, Spanish and Italian forces?
:)

ok wat gebeurde toen?!

I am just wondering, are there actual different speech packs?

LAYP: Yes

I didnt know about the language option :D I just switched to Spanish and its downloading the new audio files now. I'm going to learn how to speak Spanish by playing HL2!

The guy who does the French G-Man's voice I recall (correct me if I'm wrong) was the same guy who did the dubbing for the French X-Files smoking man.

f|uke said:
LAYP: Yes

I didnt know about the language option :D I just switched to Spanish and its downloading the new audio files now. I'm going to learn how to speak Spanish by playing HL2!

lol
hey everybody, Fluke is going to fry his brain, lets all watch.. someone grab a bag of popcorn :cheese:

Back