HL:BS and HL2's big barney difference, doesn't it make you sad?

what do you think about the differences?

• yep, it's sad

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • no, i don't think so

Votes: 37 46.8%
  • i don't care

Votes: 34 43.0%

• Total voters

jerkasaur

Tank
Reaction score
:imu: they look real different, what do you think? i think at least if they didn't show he's face on the game pack, they could do something about it, but now...

what the hell? i didn't even post the poll yet and you've got a post? errr, cool but... how?

yeah but look at the nose, the eyes... it just doesn't look like him,

But... does it really matter? Barney stays Barney and he always owes us a beer.

It's called graphical advancing. And they want barny to look cooler because he's now a main character...

he's great in HL2, but they changed him so much, i mean like gordon isn't changed that much, you see eli and kleiner have got so much cooler too but valve never actually printed their face on any package, if they look stupid in HL and now they look cool in HL2, it's because of graphical advancing, yes i agree dekstar, but barney is absolutly changed, why don't we see barney in the beginning of HL, where he's knocking the door, say anything? basicly becuz he's gonna be a playble character and valve doesn't want to ruin the feeling, but making he's face look too different in HL2.... i think it was a stupid idea to print a drawing of him on a game pack (BS), when they actually wanted to change the way he looked later.... but he's cool in HL2.

barney clahoun is not the same barney as in HL2

think : they never meet in HL or BS except when calhoun is trying to open the door at the beginning

so this thread makes no sense : Barney from HL2 is another Barney that Gordon meets in Black Mesa, certainly not Calhoun

barney is not the one that opens the door for freeman, he's the one that's knocking on the door in the very first beginning, and plz would you think a bit b4 you say something?, everybody agrees with the fact, then how come he would kow freeman in the beginning of HL2?... you see him in the end of BS going with walter and rosenberg... i suggest you read wikipedia's half-life series....

I COULDN'T CARE LESS IF SHENS PAID ME.

Nobody gives a **** about this.

hl2 barney did not look like a modern gfx hl1 barney, and that was a letdown.

jerkasaur said:
that's knocking on the door in the very first beginning, and plz would you think a bit b4 you say something?

that's what I meant you )(#&$)(*&)@(*#(*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its called 5 years devolopment and graphical enhancements, is hl2 the only sequel u have ever played, they all change something big in every game sequel. though personally i dont think making barney look like he does in hl2 is a big thing, he still is awesome.

i'm not talking about him being awsome or not, all i'm saying is that they could have been more carefull about this.

jerkasaur said:
yeah but look at the nose, the eyes... it just doesn't look like him,

'He', has been remodelled from a game that is nearly 7 years old now, Of course there will be different in HL2 from the original. Part of that reason is to keep up with the Graphics demands of kiddies like u.

Secondly I do Not Care, He is still the same Character he was and I love him. It really is his Voice, and Voice Actor that we know him so distinctly and famously by anyway so his exact 'looks' in graphics arent Uber important to me. He is like a simpsons character firstly you know him by his famous voice, even though the pictures change over the years.

Also i do not care about any other of those knit picking people who ick over every little difference of untintentional mistake or incoherance between the games. Half-life has come along way scince it was released in 1998 and even though it was a ground breaking game, it has come so far scince it began. I think they really have done a great job with many things considering what they have achieved since then.

HL2 has already been developed.

This argument.

Expired.

jerkasaur said:
:imu: they look real different, what do you think? i think at least if they didn't show he's face on the game pack, they could do something about it, but now...

its called improvement in graphics and technology.
obviously Valve couldn't make Barney's face as detailed in HL1 as it is in HL2.
gotta use some imagination here and assume Barney looked somewhat the same back in the HL1 days.

at least thats my opinion on the detail between the two games.

Maybe he slipped into some toxic sludge in the intervening years and needed reconstructive surgery. That blue uniform isn't as protective as an HEV suit.

Or maybe it's simply a long-lost complete stranger with the same name, reunited with someone he never met before.

Think about that...

He has the same plastic surgeon as Michael Jackson.

jerkasaur said:
he's great in HL2, but they changed him so much, i mean like gordon isn't changed that much, you see eli and kleiner have got so much cooler too but valve never actually printed their face on any package, if they look stupid in HL and now they look cool in HL2, it's because of graphical advancing, yes i agree dekstar, but barney is absolutly changed, why don't we see barney in the beginning of HL, where he's knocking the door, say anything? basicly becuz he's gonna be a playble character and valve doesn't want to ruin the feeling, but making he's face look too different in HL2.... i think it was a stupid idea to print a drawing of him on a game pack (BS), when they actually wanted to change the way he looked later.... but he's cool in HL2.
Blue Shift is not made by VALVe. It was made by GearBox AFAIK. So Barny's face in Blue Shift wasn't endorsed by VALVe so they changed it.

wilka91 said:
barney clahoun is not the same barney as in HL2

think : they never meet in HL or BS except when calhoun is trying to open the door at the beginning

so this thread makes no sense : Barney from HL2 is another Barney that Gordon meets in Black Mesa, certainly not Calhoun
The credits of Half-Life 2 disagree with you.

The characters of Half-Life did have a life before the Resonance Cascade

originaly posted by dekstar:
Blue Shift is not made by VALVe. It was made by GearBox AFAIK. So Barny's face in Blue Shift wasn't endorsed by VALVe so they changed it.

now that's an answer i could agree with, you guys are just playing the game without noticing the small things that makes it beautiful, think if gordon looked different bucause of what you call graphical "enhancements"... personally, i think it would **** the game up, but they don't look real different, the whole thing is the same,about barney, he looks completly different, like another guy, another face,

oh and little.rebel, i know barney is "he", but i meant the pic so it's "it", ok?

Mods, plz close the thread, no one is getting the main point of this thread...

I am. But nobody seems to want to fault oh-so-godly HL2. Barney in HL2 has a completely new face, for no reason at all. Certainly not to the degree of similarity held by a character such as the g-man, which is very odd, seeing as you interact and see barney for such a longer period of time. Barney seemed like he was pushing 60 in HL1. That all was thrown out the window in favor of cinematic stereotypes. Hell, we even got a damn love interest and scripted scenes that would make a soap star cringe. How insulting.

I think it's time to bring in pictures of the two Barneys side-by-side to see the differences (if any).

Below is the cover art for Blue Shift (the only picture of young Barney that we have) and to the right is Barney from Half-Life 2:

I honestly don't know why you guys think they look so different.

- the eyebrows are the same shape (there's even the same crease between both brows)
- the head is the same shape
- the eyes are the same colour and about the same size (Half-Life 2 Barney is squinting slightly)
- the facial hair is similar (just slightly lighter in HL2 Barney, which is understandible as your hair usually gets lighter with age)
- the mouth is also fairly close (HL2 Barney is smirking but the lips look the same)
- the nose is perhaps the only possible change, but even then I hardly notice it (if there even is a change, it might be the angle)
- Blue Shift Barney has a tan, Half-Life 2 Barney does not.

CONCLUSION: THEY'RE THE SAME PERSON!!!!!

;)

i must admit, the way you showed barney in HL2, they really look the same, but i don't know why i just don't have the feeling that this is "the" barney, it's "a" barney. whatever.

By Valve's words: Barney in HL2 is simply a summary of all the other barneys, its kind of done so you dont lose something close to heart, rather than have a memorable char... I mean 33 barneys wouldnt make sense, they probably are in different parts of the world now.

Eli now has a beard, doesn't that make you sad? G-Man's suitcase is different - doesn't that make you sad? Kleiner glasses are transparent - doesn't that make you sad? Hell, I could go on and on... Maybe VALVe should've left Half-Life 1 models in Half-Life 2?

CookieCuttah said:
By Valve's words: Barney in HL2 is simply a summary of all the other barneys, its kind of done so you dont lose something close to heart, rather than have a memorable char... I mean 33 barneys wouldnt make sense, they probably are in different parts of the world now.

Or Dead.

Anyway, there has been 10 years between the games, I think you would have to take that into consideration
I dont care, anyway.

The gman in blueshift.. sigh .. that was just wrawng

Does it make me sad? no

Will I lose any sleep over it? no

I don't really think he looks that different at all, and any changes just reflect the advances in the technology of the game. When I think of Half-Life, I rarely consider blue shift.

I admit the G-man in blueshift was very wrong.

Back