HL Logo remodeled ;)

P

privfUSiON

Modeled the hl² logo..

Rendertime: ~30 Mins.
Format: 640 x 480
Time: 522 Frames / 29 fps Second ( 18 Seconds)
Codec: Indeo *Jeahh i know, but got problems with artifacts at divX*
Size: 3,95 MB

See it here..

I´m open for comments but not offenses ;).
:dozey: :E

4mb for 18seconds, that sucks :O I got 40minutes of data into 20mb :D also it was at 800x 600 and perfect quality.

Ow ye back to the subject, it looks pritty good. Not really showing much and ends really fast. I dunno if its an offical trailer, but to me it just looks like you was trying ti out to see how good you could do it. Give me some media etc... and I could make you one. I used to run take3.

:( not letting me play it.. any chance of just posting a pic of it?

ah got it going now ... had to go through about million different media players :p

i think it looks cool, nice and smooth and the symbol looks crisp

pretty cool, im guessing its for a mod ( Vampires :D ). i like the way it spins offset, but it might look better if they were to both return to normal at the same time...then again, it might look crap :)

@IchI
I know that the size sucks, but at rerendering the stuff with adobe premiere it gets artifacts into the movie so i used the indeo codec and not the divx 5.1. I just made that in a short time, i make it better, the stuff isnt completed ;).

@random.hero
;), first time i only rotateted the camera around the logo and but that was too boring, so i rotated the logo stuff to ;)..

dude thats awesome... ive been tryin to do something like that with the progs ive downloaded (maya LE, and something else cant remember off hand). what programs do u used?

hey can u possibly make a couple more in diff colors(chrome?), different rotations? any thing else u might like to add

dude thats awesome... ive been tryin to do something like that with the progs ive downloaded (maya LE, and something else cant remember off hand). what programs do u used?
I use 3dsmax 6.

hey can u possibly make a couple more in diff colors(chrome?), different rotations? any thing else u might like to add
Sure but i thing it looks, good like it is ;)

render it in divx/xvid please.. that codec is not downloadeble, thanks

whatta ?
I use the codec i want, you dont have to download the stuff !

The logo is nicely modeled, but you def need a better material. This looks like a regular one with low opacity (is it?)

I've made some logo's myself in the past:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~terr/hl2.nl/78.jpg
http://www.xs4all.nl/~terr/hl2.nl/77.jpg
And one in the attachment.

Try using a glass material. I don't know whether you modeled with 3dsmax, but if you did, put a raytrace in the refract slot and set it to about 95.

Download this plugin: http://www.splutterfish.com/sf/downloads/max/hdri/HDRI_v1.0.1.zip

It let's you use HDR images, nice for reflections. Use the included .hdr file in the zip as a background. Put a black plane with 100 self illumination behind the logo.
Study the included tutorial a bit. And put a raytrace in the reflect slot, and set it too about 25. Pretty subtle, but gives a nice result.

Sorry, I wrote this up quickly, I hope you understand it.

EDIT: oh I see you use 3dsmax 6, I don't really know that version, but doesn't it allow .hdr without plugins? Saves you some effort if it does.

Modelling Programs

wbcheater said:

Try Softimage/EXP, that's what the modellers at HL2 use!
You'll also me able to make modells for the game in the EXP! :thumbs:

is there a download somewhere? ill go look but plz post one---

Easist way to do this in XSI is to have a eps file of the logo (which can be made in freehand, flash or illustrator)

1. Import it (File>Import>EPS)
2. Create>Polymesh>Curves to mesh

Voila - one 3d HL2 logo.

Add a material and press q to draw a render region over the viewport. Play!

BTW - let me know if you need an eps file

Here is a logo mesh in dotXSI format (which you can use with Max and Maya if you have the pluggin)

Get it here

Have fun!

Back