hl1 fps w/ 9800pro

iconic-

Reaction score
Well not quite sure if this is really a problem but id figure id post here, any insight/help would be awesome.

so playing tfc with a ati 9800pro 128/256, normally ill just max and hit 99, i turn dev on, and when theres no weapon model and no action i get 199 (but i can run around and all).

well yeah, anytime i go into any yard (i was just playing mulch_dm, but i noticed it the other day on schtop) my fps drops to right around 40. Im kind of puzzled because I've hard some people w/ gf4's that get steady 99fps constantly.

here are my specs

Pent 2.8ghz HT
ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128
1 Gig Ram

BTW i WAS playing at 1280... but brought it down to 1024... and still get the same problem. any help would be great. Im running the 4.12 ATI drivers.

Can't think of anything to fix it but I can offer confirmation that something is wrong.

I NEVER drop below 99/100 FPS even in a full 32 player TFC server in intense action. I play at 1115X824. My specs are :

AMD Athlon64 2800+
Asus Geforce3 64 (Just the plain original GF3, lol)
512 MB RAM

Even my old 1 Ghz Thunderbird with 386 MB RAM did'nt drop in framerate on TFC as I recall. Odd that you would drop. Maybe double check in the ATI CP if AA/AF is being forced. Heating issues? I had a GF4 Ti 4200 in my old system start doing weird things like drop FPS, artifact, then eventually cause a BSOD. Found out it got terribly overheated and blew a few caps and died.

okay, set default 3d render to OpenGL and reinstalled my 4.12 drivers w/o the catylst control center (I always got an error when starting up saying CLI.exe wasn't right or something) and with dev_mode 1 on I can get about 130-150 fps.

It most likly is due to the fact that you probably have truform on.
Truform + open gl = Messed up Graphics + in certain areas MASSIVE FPS DROP.

I always turn off truform when playing HL\any of its mods.
For DX games u want it on, makes things look a bit smoother plus better fps.

take truform off, and type ati_npatch 0 in console

Back