HL1 night and day change

thomashiles

Reaction score
I've noticed that the second time you get to the surface, near the satellite launch complex, it is nighttime. I was always a bit unsure about this - it only takes about an hour and a half real-time to get there, and the game starts at 8.47am! But I figure, Gordon might hang around more in the real situation, rest, whatever.
But then when I was playing it through today, I realised the next time you reach the surface after this - when you face the assassins and are knocked out by the marines - it's bright daytime again. But it only takes about 10-20 minutes maximum to get from the rocket launch place to here! WTF?!

Any ideas...?

Er...kiss my ass. There's half a dozen discussions about the original game that are active at the minute. If you can point me in the direction of a previous discussion of this then fair enough. Otherwise, shut up unless you've got anything useful to add.

Are you talking about right after you're knocked out by the marines? Think about how long you must've been out. That'll explain the "sudden" daylight.

I'm pretty sure HL takes place over the course of two-and-a-half to three days, anyway.

48 hours exactly, methinks.

I've got a timeline somewhere that I made...

Darkside55 said:
Are you talking about right after you're knocked out by the marines? Think about how long you must've been out. That'll explain the "sudden" daylight.
Well, I would've agreed with that, but you can see it's actually daylight BEFORE you're knocked out.

True. The only explanation is that the bit where you launched the rocket was very early morning, like around 4am, because you can see when you fight the assassins that the sun is only just rising.

If Marc Laidlaw releases a half-life novel, he'll probably explain what time it is at the different places.

I hope HL2 has dynamically changing day/night cycles

Back