HL1 playable on Source?

Y

YoBeardMaestro

A question of behalf of someone else:

Is there any evidence that the original Half Life levels can be played on the source engine?

I did a search but you can imagine how many results I got searching for "Half Life" and "Source".

A simple yes/no answer will suffice. I don't wanna get anyone banned here.

Apparently, Valve made Source backwards compatible with current Half-Life content, so porting the original Half-Life to Source would be a trivial matter.

yeah but would you get any real benefit from playing halflife on the source engine

the graphics would all have to be updated, graphics have nothing to do with the engine, thats all content

and for the havok physics to work all the maps would need to be remade to incorporate them

I heard a rumour VALVe were going to do that...

EDIT: About fixing the maps... I think that there would be a tool included with the SDK to help eith that. VALVe said something along those lines. And it's not like you'd have to re-edit everything's weight, the original HL must have had some kind of weight factor on movable objects, in order to tie in with the "Everything Falls Down"-style physics engine.

I heard a rumor that Elvis is still alive.

I've heard the original Half Life, Opposing Forces, and possibly Blue Shift will be ported over to the Source engine with updated models, textures, lighting, and physics in the collectors edition of Half Life 2 (DVD version).

They would certainly have to tweak the maps, but they wouldn't have to remake them.

Originally posted by iamironsam
I've heard the original Half Life, Opposing Forces, and possibly Blue Shift will be ported over to the Source engine with updated models, textures, lighting, and physics in the collectors edition of Half Life 2 (DVD version).

That's the one I heard...

And Elvis is still alive. He was an alien.

I know the rules, and that i shouldn`t be posting this, but in the leaked build you can play HL1 with source particle effects and lightining and water....

Only in the collector's edition? Sucks, man. I wonder if they'll release them as free downloads for everybody else at some point in the future?

Man, i will buy everything to have HL, OF & BS with the new Source Engine.

Yea its pretty crappy though, on older radeon cards, chrome and such doesn't even show up. The only difference is water, some nicer lights, shadows, and physics.... who cares lol.

travis my 9000 runs it with all the purdies i mean i dont have it installed and kno nothing of the matter *runs* . But it was kinda fun to replay the game with those nifty effects

DROOL.

Where did you hear that? I'd pay $20 for the old games to be retextured and put in Source.

Of course, I shouldn't get too excited, since the thing hasn't been released yet.

but still... *drool*

Originally posted by Travis
Yea its pretty crappy though, on older radeon cards, chrome and such doesn't even show up. The only difference is water, some nicer lights, shadows, and physics.... who cares lol.

LEAKED CONTENT IS NOT OFFICIAL. It's no where near done, stop judging stuff before it comes out. And, none of the DX9 effects work on older Radeon cards, in either HL2/1 on source because, well, they're not DX9 cards.

The Santa Clause in the lobby wants to kill me... o_O

a screenshot of what? HL2 running HL1? try waiting for the game to come out first.

HL2 can play HL1 maps that have been recompiled with the new Hammer. But they won't be special or physics enabled without new textures and new object properties.

Someone posted that not me, I left my PC (@college) for a minute, sorry!

Originally posted by Brian Damage
That's the one I heard...

And Elvis is still alive. He was an alien.

You honestly believe a being from an advanced civilization would come to earth to impersonate a fat, racist, drug-addicted, black-man-music-stealing rock star? Well, maybe we corrupted him.

azz0r, you can still edit the post. so delete it.

Back