HL2 and home lans

Woggy

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could use one copy of HL2 to play with 4 computers at home? We really cant afford 4 copies (and CD keys) of HL2!
How would it work? We need to authenticate with Steam to play LAN games, right?
Also, would Steam allow mutliple copies of the game running on one CD-KEY to play at one time? I dont like the idea of not being able to play while my brother plays. ;(
With HL1 we could play but not on the same server.
It would suck if we couldnt, even though we will pay for the original game.

wait until it comes out and find out then...i don't think anyone here knows the answer to that for sure (i don't at least..hehe)

This is a pretty big question, and one Valve is mostly being a little too silent on. The real problem is that, if you are too lax in allowing players to install as many versions as they want, then how can you stop them from simply passing on installs to everyone?

Also, would Steam allow mutliple copies of the game running on one CD-KEY to play at one time? I dont like the idea of not being able to play while my brother plays.

I don't like the idea that my sister gets to drive a car while I don't, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I deserve an extra car. Sometimes, wanting more means having to buy more. We'll see what Valve offers us though.

Somehow I doubt this.. tell me if I'm wrong here please:

When you install, your cd key is "bound" to a login and SteamID?
Or can you have multiple accounts on one CDkey? I think that STEAM will have CD Key authentication on login, so that you will need 4 separate copies. Although, they have said that after about 2 weeks, they will make LAN and Single player available offline.. then maybe you're in the clear.

-Rubeus

I don't like the idea that my sister gets to drive a car while I don't, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I deserve an extra car. Sometimes, wanting more means having to buy more. We'll see what Valve offers us though.

Thats a pretty crappy comparision, seeing as a car is a 'physical' object, while software isnt. You cant duplicate a car without material, but you can duplicate software out of nothing (well, except electricity).
It costs valve nothing to let one CD key be used multiple times on Steam. I hope atleast 3 differnt users can use one CDKEY at one time.
To prevent warez, maybe each user must be on the same home network to be able to play with another user online at the same time.
Possible, right?

(I cant wait till I live by myself, I wont need to share anything anymore)

you will only be able to play from one computer at a time, but you can install it on all four, see, when you install it, it ties into your steam account, and steam will only allow you to play from one computer at a time.

and just because it's for family use doesn't make piracy any more legit.

and just because it's for family use doesn't make piracy any more legit.

How is it piracy? Well pay for the product. We arent rich enough to buy 3-4 copies. Thats just crazy.

Originally posted by Woggy

It costs valve nothing to let one CD key be used multiple times on Steam. I hope atleast 3 differnt users can use one CDKEY at one time.

(I cant wait till I live by myself, I wont need to share anything anymore)

If you could do that, why not buy 1 cd key and let the rest of the world use it costing valve million and maybe billions. But hey who cares you got a free copy of hl2 (then valve dies and you cant play at all)

(edit) why not tell them to **** off and get their own stuff?

How is it piracy? Well pay for the product. We arent rich enough to buy 3-4 copies. Thats just crazy.

the unauthorized use or reproduction of copyrighted or patented material.

If you could do that, why not buy 1 cd key and let the rest of the world use it costing valve million and maybe billions. But hey who cares you got a free copy of hl2 (then valve dies and you cant play at all)

Why dont you read the post again.

To prevent warez, maybe each user must be on the same home network to be able to play with another user online at the same time.

Is everyone on the world on the same private network?
Learn to read.
And right now on WON, more than one person are able to play at the same time using only one CDKEY. They though have to be on differnt servers. And Valve isnt dead yet.

the unauthorized use or reproduction of copyrighted or patented material.
Im not copying anything. Im asking if we can use one CDKEY to play with several accounts , providing that we are on the same network. If valve provided this ability, it wouldnt be unauthorized use.

Perhaps they will have a system similar to the one that Microsoft has in place right now for Windows XP - just a small fraction of money for another CD-key.

Like $10.00 or so.

In order for this to work, there would be a limit of 1 extra CD-key per CD, or so...otherwise people could just get this game for a VERY discounted price.

Why dont you read the post again.

Is everyone on the world on the same private network?
Learn to read.

I can read and im on a private network with 20 other people, what stops them from having 500+ people on the same private network?
Except for where they are of course.

Maybe because its limited to 3 users?
Jesus!
For 500 people you will need 167 copies for everyone to play.
And I DONT really think 500 people will actaully bother pooling up their money, link up their computer on a private network, and buy 167 differnt CDKEYs, just to play! :rolleyes:

For f.cks sake, when I say atleast 3 people i mean the maximum, as in,
"If this was ever implemented, I hope the maximum would be atleast 3 users".
What else would I mean?

As in, the MAXIMUM.
That means, Id be happy with 3 users. Im NOT asking for 500 users.

As in, the MAXIMUM.
That means, Id be happy with 3 users. Im NOT asking for 500 users.

Id be happy with 1 user, but 500 would be cool to. :cool:

And Id be happy with 3... thats the point of this thread.
Im sure other people have the same problem.

Woggy, I have alerted the Moderators to your attempt to discuss piracy of Half life 2 on these boards. Please refrain from continueing. To be legal you would need one copy of Half Life2 for each computer.

Right, inform all you want, cause im NOT talking about PIRACY, FFS!
Im ASKING for opinions on this subject. Wouldnt you all agree that 3 users per CDKEY on the same private network would be fair? I think Valve should allow this.
If Valve didnt allow this, it wouldnt be possible, so it wouldnt be piracy.
I seriously dont know whats wrong with people.

Heres a quote from my previous post
Im not copying anything. Im asking if we can use one CDKEY to play with several accounts , providing that we are on the same network. If valve provided this ability, it wouldnt be unauthorized use. .

KEY PHRASE : If valve provided this ability, it wouldnt be unauthorized use.

calm down woggy, ur replies are extremely pissy, you are bound to get hasty and pissy replies back.

EDIT:
oh i just saw your signature :p you need to practice what it says eh?

Tolerence? How am I NOT being tolerant?
I am explaining my reasons and opinions, can you get anymore tolerant than that? An intolerant person would not do this.

From what it sounded like to me in your originial post was that you wanted to purchase the game once and have it be playabe on two or all 4 of your computers at the same time for lan and or internet games. Ie you and your brother would be playing at the same time on internet servers or you would use the one cdkey/install to play a lan game on the four computers in the house at once. Is that what your are getting at?

If this is the case then you need to read your end user licences for your software and my original post stands.

I should get some sleep. Heitai goes to bed.

Check the license of non-existant software?
Im just putting forward an idea which I think Valve should implement into its game.
Please read the whole thread before commenting.

Please read the whole thread before commenting.

Only about 1/4 of the first page is info the rest is me and you argueing about some stuped thing :\

Well then, if he/she read that information he/she shouldnt be posting that question in the first place.

*sigh* This thread has become pretty pointless.
I guess Valve wont do anything about it, and Ill have to live with one account per cdkey.
Topic closed.

CLOSED :stare:

valve would of done not much about it anyway, if they did it would take another 3 months to complete.

Half-Life 2 ROX!

Back