HL2 brightness problem

A

allochthonous

Hello.

I just downloaded the Half Life 2 Demo through Steam to a) see if i like the game before I buy it and b) see how well it runs on my system before I buy it.

The game seems to run fine, but I am having some problems with the game being too dark. I have the brightness slider all the way up, but still cannot see the lines of text and the game is too dark to play (esp the Ravenholm level in the demo).

Here's my system stats:

Dell Dimension 4550
P4 2.4 ghz 533 mhz FSB
1 GB PC2700 DDR RAM
128 MB GeForce FX5600 Ultra on 4x AGP slot
250 watt PSU (hence the mid to low end card)

Any ideas?

Also, any tips on the best game settings (balance performance and appearance) for my system would be great.

Thanks,

PK

Do you mean the brightness slider in advanced video settings?

I did that. See original post.

pk

I don't usually adjust the brightness and that, but the gamma option is avalible (if its there)

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the brightness on my monitor is turned up all the way too. (physically on the monitor, that is)

I don't see a gamma there, though I do now see a brightness and a gamma on my Nvidia control panel.

I guess I will play with these. I just thought there might be a hidden setting somewhere.

PK

These settings did not seem to help much. I guess maybe this level is a dark one. I have to use my flashlight quite a bit.

Though I still cannot see the text in the brightness settings window, if that matters.

PK

Back