HL2 doesn't load and freezes my computer

S

SpooN-ScouT

For some reason, everytime I try to play HL2, it starts up, plays the Valve intro, then goes to the screen that says "Loading..." in the bottom right corner, then it just freezes my computer. The only way to get out of it is to push my computer's reset button, because nothing happens when I Ctrl-Alt-Del.

I downloaded new drivers for my video card, new monitor drivers, and DirectX 9.0c. I have Windows XP Pro, AMD Athlon 2400+ 2Ghz, GF4 Ti4400 128mb, & 768mb RAM DDR.

However I have CS:Source, and it runs just fine.

Anyone got any ideas?

I am having the exact same problem. Valve or someone please help! I paid alot of money to play these games and I want to play. And yes CS:S works fine for me to. Someone PLEASE help.

I have the exact same issue and almost the exact same system. Help please.

I have the same error. It seems to be a MILES mss dll error. Spent two night searching the web looking for a fix to this bug. Valve not interested they have our money. LAST GAME I WILL PURCHASE FROM THEM. Will only use pirate Valve software now on

HAD the exact same problem. what I did was delete the contents in the apps folder and reinstalled the software. I made sure that the game was 100 percent and made sure no other mod was d/ling. came home unchecked the "remember my password" and loaded the game via steam and now is running without any problems.

LordElric said:
I have the same error. It seems to be a MILES mss dll error. Spent two night searching the web looking for a fix to this bug. Valve not interested they have our money. LAST GAME I WILL PURCHASE FROM THEM. Will only use pirate Valve software now on
I have the exact same "MILES mss dll" error.
Have you figured it out?
cause I would realy like to know how to fix it.

same issue...question for goose

Same problem here, but I am downloading from steam...(free version from graphics card) therefore do i need to completely uninstall and reinstall the entire game?? Anyone who has had this problem please holler

Anyone figure out the "MILES mss dll" problem yet?
cause i realy realy want to know

superstar said:
Same problem here, but I am downloading from steam...(free version from graphics card) therefore do i need to completely uninstall and reinstall the entire game?? Anyone who has had this problem please holler

same thing as you but I paid for hl2.

what I did was delete EVERYTHING in the steamapp(not sure if that is the right name) folder. even the "username" within the "app" folder. then reinstalled(meaning I had to download all over again) the game. came home made sure it was 100 percent acquired, no other mod was d/ling and started the game. it started fine for me. but mostly I had to wait and made sure the verification and authorization was done with.(a window the same size as one of the games properties window will pop up and say you have been verified blah blah blah)

I still have the dll file missing issue where my screen is white with diagonal lines. I really don't care and i'm not going to waste time trying to fix something that isn't even going to affect gameplay. but I do hear the valve signature music.

Back