HL2, DX9 and Geforce 5900XT

W

[WDS] Sol

Hi All
I have an Nvidia 5900XT and have noticed that my frame rate is low compared to my friends ATI 9800 pro on the Video stress test there was a 50fps differtence mine was barely 30 fps my friends was 80+fps, yet our systems are pretty similar.
I was going to write this post anyways looking for answers but today at work I found out why.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2281

It seems the 5900XT and DX9 do not work well with HL2, I have to play in DX8.1 to get the best out if it. In some cases the difference in Frame Rate is as much as 60% difference when in DX8.1. t0 DX9
I am so pissed off with Nvidia, I thought I shold share this info so no-one else buys a 5900XT card thinking they are getting a top card. What are Nvidia playing at?

Whinge over

Sol

Yeh,

It is bad news.I was going for a 5900xt until I heard about HL2 problems.On the bright side, I have run my 9800pro in dx8.1 and there is not much difference to my eyes,only the water.

Do I need to install DX8 or can DX9 be told to play as DX8?

Speaking of graphics if i have windows xp a 2.6 GHz processor 512 mb of ram but the only thing is my graphics card wich is a Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller will it work

I also have a 5900XT, how do I go into console to change to DX8.1? I tried hitting the ~ key, but don't know how to bring up console. Thanks.

got console now

Okay, I got the console to come down, but I am unable to change to Direct X 8.1. I read that I need to type in -dxlevel 81
But it says unknown command dxlevel
Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

travail ,type -dxlevel 81 not in the console (into the game), but in the options before you start the game from steam

the FX series is simply not good enough to play the game at direct x9.0

Should have went to ATI and bought a radeon we told u so .

Back