hl2.exe has encountered an error and needs to close

[RE]Leon

Reaction score
Alright. I tried the GotFrag thread and got nothing. There was a previous thread about this and I got no answers.

All of my Source engine games (Ex. Counter-Strike Source, Day of Defeat: Source, HL2, HL2DM, ect) do not run. I get the "Loading - Counter-Strike: Source" screen, then that disappears, then the "hl2.exe has encountered an error and needs to close" screen.

Here's what I've done:
-Re-installed CSS (doesn't work)
-Re-installed Steam (didn't work)
-Installed newer DirectX (didn't work)

I looked in the error report and found that it has something to do with "shaderapidx9.dll"

I've got no idea what to do. If anybody could please help, it would be appreciated.

verify cache? defrag them? do it by right clicking on the game at the steam games list and go to properties then the local files tab...

I have the "hl2.exe has encountered an error and needs to close" every time I close down a steam game using the source engine. its annoying but it doesn't disrupt much

I have the "hl2.exe has encountered an error and needs to close" every time I close down a steam game using the source engine. its annoying but it doesn't disrupt much

That's normal if your on Vista. Valve fixes it, then breaks it again with the next update. It annoying as it messes up the reliability statistics.

I did everything it said, and it still didn't work

I'm running XP, by the way.

Make sure that you got all magic updates like:
  • DirectX
  • Net. Framework
  • Service Pack
  • GPU drivers

That's normal if your on Vista. Valve fixes it, then breaks it again with the next update. It annoying as it messes up the reliability statistics.

Actually, it happened for me WAYYY more when i had XP. I don't recall Valve ever declaring they fixed it. Crashes all seem the same but there are dozens of reasons for how they can happend.

Back