"HL2.exe has stopped working"

Z

ZimFreak

I recently bought The Orange Box (yes, it's a legit copy), and loved it. Recently, however, no valve games work except for Half Life 2. Not episodes 1 or 2, not portal or TF2, and not even a source mod (Zombie Panic! Source). The worst part about this is that everything used to work, and now suddenly it all dies. I did some research, and found that AIM might be to blame... don't know why, so I uninstalled that, but no cigar. I tried a system restore to a few days ago, when it did work, but the system restore always fails, and I don't have any other dates that would work. The weirdest part about all of this is that Half life 2 works, but none others do. I tried reinstalling everything, and even some fixes mentioned in the other thread similar to this, but I can't find a fix. please help.

===My System Info===

=System=

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000)
Processor: DualCore Intel Pentium D 820, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
Memory: 1024 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
Motherboard Name: Dell Dell DXP051

=Display=

Name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT
Manufacturer: XFX
Approx. Total Memory: 256 MB
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
Installed Drivers: nvd3dum (7.15.11.6925), nvwgf2um (7.15.11.6925)

=Sound=

Name: Onboard sound

===End Of My System Info===

Try uninstalling anything installed recently. Some programs that interfere with the internet stop TF2 working, Portal stops working when you overload it with new mods, And Episode 2 stops working if you run out of RAM. All stop working when you install something that interferes with those files in any way (Pacsteam and other steam fakes)

I recommend uninstalling any Steam Fake Products and anything that might mod those games.

would maps count as mods for Portal, because I have been doing a lot of that. As for the firewalls and such, they're all configured to let all HL2 programs through, and I've never had a problem with only 1 GB or RAM before, although I am upgrading soon.

I have this same error in TF2. My TWO other friends that have this game also have the same problem. I am tired of the crashes!!!!

EDIT: We have tried the above suggestions to no luck. We are all running 32-bit Win Vista, and have at least minimum to recommended hardware. i may post [sys info] later if i think about it, i hope someone posts a fix soon.

Verify GCF files.
If you are using AVG antivirus I strongly recommend to change it can cause crashes.
Also try to install latest drivers. DX10 cards have much updates in drivers, furthermore you can install beta drivers from NVIDIA site.

Back