hl2.exe problem

X

Xn0o0cl3

Every time I try and run a Valve game, it gets past the "preparing to launch" then gives me an error report saying hl2.exe has encountered a problem, sorry for the inconvenience etc. etc. So far I've tried deleting clientregistry.blob, which did nothing, uninstalling and reinstalling all valve games, which I have done multiple times, and finally deleting the Steam folder from my program files, then reinstalling everything again.

Now I'm really in the mood to play Portal through again :[] Any advice?

And I forgot to mention that Half Life 2 itself can actually make it a little further than everything else. I can get so far as to hear the sound made when the Valve logo shows (it's still showing my desktop when it gets to this point) before going to black screen and making me reboot. Several times in the past it has made it all the way to starting a new game before anything crashed. My computer told me it was a graphical error of some sort, so I updated my Nvidia drivers, although that didn't help either.

If specs are necessary, just say so, I'll post 'em.

Knowing the specs always helps mate, so what are they ? :)

Well I'm running an:
-Nvidia Geforce 6800
-dual Intel Pentium 4 (3.2 Ghz)
-1 gig of RAM
-DirectX 10

aaand I'm not too sure what else to add...anything else? that list seems really short.

And my problem seems to have digressed. Instead of giving me the error it will sit and prepare the game for play, then tell me it's not available right now.

My bro's having this problem with his games. I'm figuring it's cause he doesn't have hl2, but that seems unlikely, I'm sure if we fix this it'll be a double whammy. Playse halp.

Bump? I know a lot of people with this problem and I'd reallly like to see if there's anyone out there with a solution.

Well, to begin with that video card doesn't support DX10.

he could have vista and technically he would have dx10 lol

anyways to help your problem, i recommend updating all of your drivers; including video,audio,chipset,etc.

Well, to begin with that video card doesn't support DX10.

I thought something was odd :/

Can you give us the exact error message that comes up?
A screenshot might be useful.

Do you have any other Steam windows open when you load it?

The messages aren't too exciting. Pretty standard as far as I can tell so I don't know that they'll help too much, but here they are:

steam error 1.JPG

steam error 2.JPG

Back