HL2 GOTY edition hits US stores

Sulkdodds

Companion Cube
Reaction score
If you haven't bought Half-Life 2 already (shame on you) then now's your chance - as long as you live in North America. Fully deserving of the 35+ Game of the Year awards gathered, this shiny special edition includes not only the full game but also Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 2 Deathmatch and Half-Life: Source. The European release will apparently arive "in the coming weeks."[br]If you need to know more about HL2 (have you been living under a rock?) try visiting this website. Now get there and buy, buy, buy!

Wow, it includes HL:S?

Maybe something to buy when it hits EU stores.

if i wanted to buy the whole complete thing, and i didn't care about multiplayer games included or not...what would i buy? don't care about the price neather...
help me plz...

Before anyone asks, yes they have fixed the registration bug.

Anyone got scans of the cover, im would like to see what its like

I'm just glad they didn't stick "EA Games" on the case.

always nice when your favorite game gets a GOTY edition, even if you don't buy it

I'm just glad they didn't stick "EA Games" on the case.

AMEN.

if you haven't bought hl2 yet, then your prolly not even visiting halflife2.net :D

polyguns said:
if you haven't bought hl2 yet, then your prolly not even visiting halflife2.net :D

I thought this was a pr0n site.

I was sorely disappointed.

Varsity said:
Before anyone asks, yes they have fixed the registration bug.

yes...

DOUG SAID:

The registration problem has been fixed. It may require that you log out of Steam and back in but it is all working.

We have put some new procedures in place to help ensure that this doesn't happen in the future.

As an apology, we will be adding a copy of Condition Zero to all the accounts that were effected by this problem (I know who you are ;-)) as both a token of appreciation for being our customer and as our sincere apology that this happened in the first place.

Sulkdodds said:
If you haven't bought Half-Life 2 already (shame on you) then now's your chance - as long as you live in the US of A. Now get there and buy, buy, buy!

Since when does North America = US of A ?

capit said:
Since when North America = US of A ?
At first I thought you were a raving patriot weirdo, but then my brain caught up. Yes, it's true: the Steam press release says "North America". Celine Dion can buy a copy too.

DOUG SAID:

The registration problem has been fixed. It may require that you log out of Steam and back in but it is all working.

We have put some new procedures in place to help ensure that this doesn't happen in the future.

As an apology, we will be adding a copy of Condition Zero to all the accounts that were effected by this problem (I know who you are ;-)) as both a token of appreciation for being our customer and as our sincere apology that this happened in the first place.

I knew it. steam is SPYWARE

North America is the Mexico, US and Canada

Now get there and buy, buy, buy!

ahhh america

Also what is that about the registration problem, what was it doing?

It made your computer set on fire, blow up, and then ask for your windows CD. If you were stupid enough to do it, it ate it alive and broke it into 30 shards. Then it would give out a Blue screen and tell you to go buy another windows CD, and if you were dumb enough for that, it would break it again, but that time throw it all in your face.
Then, it would blow up. Again.

So this is their way of saying sorry.

This portfolio of titles accounts for over 18 million retail units sold worldwide, and Valve games account for over 88% of the PC online action market.

I wonder if that number includes Steam units.

Valve's portfolio of entertainment titles also includes Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat™, and Team Fortress® and accounts for over 15 million retail units sold worldwide, and over 88% of the PC online action market.

The number sold has increased by three million since the end of April.

Shens said:
I wonder if that number includes Steam units.

It says "retail", so I think it's just retail :)

Shens said:
The number sold has increased by three million since the end of April.

and by six since last year, this means HL2 has already sold 6 millions retail?

So...the only difference between the GOTY ed & the original is the addition of HL:S?

Man, my Wal-Mart has both in stock & I'd much rather buy the original for $30 than GOTY for $50-55 if that's the only diff.

Miah

258768.jpg

I saw it at Best Buy yesterday for $50.

Note that the art itself is actually entirely new, and a lot more striking and revealing than the Sierra boxarts.

It's an old poster with Gordon holding a shotgun instead of bugbait. Alyx is in slightly different pose as well.

CommandoSR said:
It's an old poster with new Gordon holding a shotgun instead of bugbait.
That was my first reaction, but no, it's quite different art. All that is the same is the ordering of Gordon left, slightly in front of Alyx, right. Gordon and Alyx look significantly different.

Insane said:
What the hell, HL2 is already released? :O
This is the EA published Half-Life 2, with added HL:Source (so really it's just the collectors edition without the ridiculously oversized T-Shirt and... was there anything in the CE anyway?), but I get what you're getting at. Why has it taken people 10 months to get it already? :p

So, essentially, the GOTY edition is nothing more than a repackage of the Collectors' Edition sans the t-shirt and Prima leaflet?

Greaaat.

***watches as the boys at Valve squeeze a moldy udder to give it another wring from their cash cow.***

If you already have Half-Life 2, could you still buy this and not have any problems installing/registering it?

Resvrgam said:
So, essentially, the GOTY edition is nothing more than a repackage of the Collectors' Edition sans the t-shirt and Prima leaflet?

Greaaat.

***watches as the boys at Valve squeeze a moldy udder to give it another wring from their cash cow.***
And most importantly, for less than the Collectors Edition was selling. And a different cover :p Oh, and the versions packed in the box will be newer than those in the older boxes, and HL2:Deathmatch will be there. Means a few minutes less updating, but it's still a difference :p

The main reason is simply that the Valve / Sierra partnership ended. If it wasn't for this EA GOTY edition, there wouldn't be a retail channel at all. Can you blame Valve for wanting to keep HL2 on shelves when the old copies are diminishing in number and no new ones will be made?

Edit:
operative lm said:
If you already have Half-Life 2, could you still buy this and not have any problems installing/registering it?
Probably. Create a new steam account and install it to that if possible, that should by pass the problems. Though quite WHY you'd want to get the GOTY is beyond me. All you're really getting is HL:Source, which sooner or later will probably be individually purchasable, and is by ALL accounts certainly not worth it. You don't even get DOD:Source...

kupoartist said:
Why has it taken people 10 months to get it already? :p

Someone might be getting a new computer now and has not bought HL2 yet because of that.

Back