HL2 Haiku

C

Cyperion

Hey everyone, it's time for HL2 haiku. (insert sound of little kids cheering here) Everyone has a poem inside them about HL2, now its time to share the love. For those of you who read PCGAMER, TheVede ran the same thing about hardware a while ago. (so dont flame me for "stealing his ideas")

Simply put, a haiku is a three line poem the lines are constructed as such...

5 syllables
7 syllables
5 syllables

Ex:

Headcrabs are tasty
I had one for thanksgiving
Tastes like good chicken

Anxious to see some creativity. Post your poems here.

Wow, what a cool thread.
This is so interesting.
End of the Haiku.

sounds fun ;)

new foes and allies
fated war of the races
the crowbar awaits

New Technology
And New Ways To Kill Your Foes
Blood is Tasty

This thread is pointless,
doesn't further our knowledge.
Lock it straight away.

Hungry gamers cry
The valve is closed
Gordon doesn't help us.

Gordon cocks the gun
flashing red bloodshed vanishes
and all is forgot

The Headcrabs hunger
pharomones lift their souls high
tearing throats like your clothes

Valve spills info like wine
Vase of the source is cracked and
We blame the vase, what?

k those sucked.

Half Life 2 will own
Don't bother to deny it
This game will rock you

I quite hate Haikus
Who the hell thought this style up
I sound like a droid

I wish I really
cared enough to try and make
a good haiku bye

this g-man came out
of the homofag closet
he is really gay

^^^ i cheated!!! i split up a sentence.. is that cheating??

did i really cheat?
please correct my stupid ways
i own all haiku

jonbob said:
This thread is pointless,
doesn't further our knowledge.
Lock it straight away.
Please resize your sig
It's against the forum rules
Four lines or less, please.

PenEDIT:
Removed for forum
Mutilation in the high-
est degree. See here.

HL2 rox0r
i just cant wait to play it
it will freakin own

Half-Life 2 delay
Why must Newell make us wait?
Half-Life 2 postPwn3d

this is fun! takes my mind off of work.... hehe

What the hell C H?
What's up with all the numbers?
That's really screwed up...

my car got stolen
need to pay for a new one
can't buy half-life 2

:'(

Negative bastards
Valve-haters, liars and fools
Just shut the f*ck up

This would seem to apply to everyone who posted on the ign contest :hmph:

awaken freeman
the seventeenth city calls
in you hope is found

(ah...)
I dont know what I am saying
I dont know if I am writing this fine
all I hav to say is
why we cant expulse our motherf**ker president of my country?!!!

the spiraling shape
it will make you go insane
see that groovy thing

Memo To Myself
Do Dumb things I gotta do
Touch the Puppet Head

they might be giants
I talk about them a lot
they're my favorite band

Something to do with
half life 2 must go here now
or else I get banned

sitting in a tree
K-I-S-S-I-N-G
shuzer and Harij

Thread Closed, its pointless spam and taking up forum space (To bad I am not a Mod :p)

You are just jealous
Our high-brow haiku madskillz
You cannot compete

Headcrabs on our tail !
Please help us Gordon Freeman
Cause the combine wont​

Two-thousand-and-six
Now I am Hydra post count
HL2 - Not spam!

haikus are easy
I could do this all day long
but I fear assault

and so I will say
The Spine is coming out soon
so is halflife 2

let us all rejoice
haikus have many stanzas
that is optional

wow this is corny
who else counts on their fingers?
I feel like I'm five

pendragon is cool
he appreciates this thread
lets pwn coolio

blahblahblah should start
his avatar is spiraled
what is the damn point?

I think I'll stop now
my creativity pool
is rather shallow

Headcrabs are Red
Zombies are Blue
Combine are Chickens
And so are You

little kids crying
Release our favorite game
rot in hell whiners

Cyperion said:
Hey everyone, it's time for HL2 haiku. (insert sound of little kids cheering here) Everyone has a poem inside them about HL2, now its time to share the love. For those of you who read PCGAMER, TheVede ran the same thing about hardware a while ago. (so dont flame me for "stealing his ideas")

Simply put, a haiku is a three line poem the lines are constructed as such...

5 syllables
7 syllables
5 syllables

Ex:

Headcrabs are tasty
I had one for thanksgiving
Tastes like good chicken

Anxious to see some creativity. Post your poems here.

Actually yours is not a Haiku. The 5.7.5 rule applies the the Japanese language on wich it was created. :E

Yakuza said:
Actually yours is not a Haiku. The 5.7.5 rule applies the the Japanese language on wich it was created. :E

thats a lie.

explain to me logically why a haiku originally written in english would not have 5-7-5 applied to it in english syllables?

it is a structure, i am not aware of the language involved making a difference, they didn't write in the 'rules' p.s. No Foriegn Dogs may use native tongue.

Poor Barney the guard,
Look forward to beer, all day.
Some day you'll be free.

He haunted me then,
The G-man, such deception!
I will kill him soon!

City 17.
Now what will the future hold?
Will it ever end?

Dear Combine soldiers,
Each in the same uniform.
Just be yourself man.

:frog:

CyberSh33p said:
thats a lie.

explain to me logically why a haiku originally written in english would not have 5-7-5 applied to it in english syllables?

Because haiku was born in the Japanese language. 5 syllables in the japanese language is different than english. In Japanes there are variations in the length of syllables...

THE LENGTH AND FORM OF ENGLISH HAIKU

Today, many bilingual poets and translators in the mainstream North American haiku scene agree that something in the vicinity of 11 English syllables is a suitable approximation of 17 Japanese syllables, in order to convey about the same amount of information as well as the brevity and the fragmented quality found in Japanese haiku. As to the form, some American poets advocate writing in 3-5-3 syllables or 2-3-2 accented beats. While rigid structuring can be accomplished in 5-7-5 haiku with relative ease due to a greater degree of freedom provided by the extra syllables, such structuring in shorter haiku will have the effect of imposing much more stringent rules on English haiku than on Japanese haiku, thereby severely limiting its potential.

THE FLEXIBILITY OF JAPANESE GRAMMAR

There are two major linguistic factors that make the Japanese language more flexible, and thus easier to fit into a rigid form such as 5-7-5. Both of these factors derive from the fact that the grammatical units in Japanese are largely independent, and are relatively free to move about within a sentence.

1. RELATIVE FREEDOM OF WORD ORDER

The English language owes much of its grammatical simplicity to the fact that the word order plays a major role in determining the relationships between words and phrases (subject, object, etc.). In such a language, words and phrases cannot be moved about freely without changing the meaning of a sentence. For example, within a sentence such as "Mother gave it to the kitten," the words cannot be rearranged without altering the meaning.

In the Japanese language, however, because of the presence of grammatical particles (joshi)*** that are suffixed to nouns and mark their syntactic relationships, word units become independent and can be moved about more freely within a sentence or a clause without affecting its meaning. As a result, the above sentence can be rearranged in many ways in both spoken and written Japanese without altering its core message.

1) haha-ga koneko-ni sore-o ageta mother/to the kitten/it/gave
2) haha-ga sore-o koneko-ni ageta mother/it/to the kitten/gave
3) sore-o koneko-ni haha-ga ageta it/to the kitten/mother/gave
4) sore-o haha-ga koneko-ni ageta it/mother/to the kitten/gave
5) koneko-ni sore-o haha-ga ageta to the kitten/it/mother/gave
6) koneko-ni haha-ga sore-o ageta to the kitten/mother/it/gave

Furthermore, if I were to add the word "yesterday" to the sentence, the available options in English would be "Mother gave it to the kitten yesterday," and "Yesterday, mother gave it to the kitten." In each of the above six Japanese versions, however, "yesterday (kinou)" can be inserted anywhere there is a space (including the beginning of the sentence), except at the very end, without significantly altering the meaning, thus multiplying the number of options by a factor of four. Therefore, "Mother gave it to the kitten yesterday" can be expressed in Japanese in twenty-four (6 x 4) different ways. Some of the alternatives are smoother than others, of course, but the least smooth is still as natural as "Yesterday, mother gave it to the kitten." Here, I will only elaborate on #1 to demonstrate the four possible alternatives.

Mother gave it to the kitten yesterday.

(1) haha-ga koneko-ni sore-o ageta + kinou :

kinou haha-ga koneko-ni sore-o ageta
haha-ga kinou koneko-ni sore-o ageta
haha-ga koneko-ni kinou sore-o ageta
haha-ga koneko-ni sore-o kinou ageta

In other words, noun phrases and many adverbs in the Japanese language can be placed almost anywhere within a sentence except that the verbs or verb phrases (including negations) must come at the end. In more complex sentence structures than the one in the above example (i.e., two or more sentences joined by conjunctives), the same degree of freedom holds within each clause. While one option may be superior to others in poetic terms, having a multitude of alternative expressions at one's disposal allows a Japanese haiku poet far more freedom within the 5-7-5 structure than is available in English.

Moreover, in Japanese, some of the grammatical particles and the subject of a sentence can be omitted depending on the context, which gives the language further flexibility..........

Strictly in terms of content, the classic Japanese haiku are composed of two major parts of varying lengths, such as 5-12, 12-5, 8-9, 9-8, 7-10, and 10-7, in the generally decreasing order of prevalence, with the first two being the most prevalent. Here are some examples from the great masters (with a literal translation by the author) :

yuku haru-ya (5) tori naki uo-no me-ni namida (12) - Basho

spring passing -
birds cry, tears in the eyes of fish

neko-no meshi shoubansuru-ya (12) suzume-no-ko (5) - Issa

sampling the cat's food -
a baby sparrow

ware-to kite asobe-ya (9) oya-no nai suzume (8) - Issa

come play with me -
you motherless sparrow

uguisu-no naku-ya (8) chiisaki kuchi akete (9) - Buson

uguisu singing - (uguisu : a nightingale-like bird)
with the small mouth open

A close observation of "free-form" English haiku reveals that they are composed of two major segments. The majority of them are divided after the first or the second line and the rest near the middle, and thus they are in accord with the underlying structures of the classic Japanese haiku.

In writing short English haiku, the decision as to where the division falls is based mainly on the dictates of English grammar and the poetic merits of given expressions. To limit short haiku to those that can be fitted into a rigid three-part structure is to severely limit the type of ideas that can be expressed in this style.

Forms in English Haiku

Copyright © 1995 Keiko Imaoka

Besides I was just giving him a hard time. :cheers:

Back