HL2 model mysteries

dscowboy

Reaction score
I watched the Kliener's Lab video again and realized that all of Alyx's exposed skin appears to be normal-mapped. The rest of her model isn't, but her face and neck and top of chest are, the shading on those parts is far too soft.

Also, watching the G-Man video, his body is obviously not normal-mapped but his face is. And Dr Kliener looks similar.

In Barricade, I'm guessing Barney's face is normal-mapped though it's hard to tell. The rest of his body is definitely not, all the creases on it are in the diffuse textures. I can't tell about the faces of the city-17 people or the combine, but the shading on their faces is pretty smooth. If it's not normal-mapped, it's pretty high-poly.

So it seems that Valve's models have normal-mapped faces only, at least the ones that we've seen so far. Is anyone else seeing this? This will be a good guide for us building our character models.

On a side note, I also noticed that the static 'world' lighting (baked into brush textures when the map is compiled) does not shade props/models/characters, while the dynamic lighting does. Watch Kliener when he moves to his computer; the dynamic light above him shines off his dome. But in Barricade when the city-17 people are moving through the building, when they step into a lighted area they just suddenly 'become brighter' like models did in HL1. Unrelated, I know, but interesting.

They said it in the techdemo on normal mapping... Some characters have some normal maps, but its mostly enviroment.
But I want to see a MOD go further: EVERYTHING should be normal mapped! :)

Originally posted by dawdler
But I want to see a MOD go further: EVERYTHING should be normal mapped! :)
Yeah! That way only half the people who play the mod will be able to see everything like it's supposed to look! Kick ass!

Originally posted by ankalar
Yeah! That way only half the people who play the mod will be able to see everything like it's supposed to look! Kick ass!
No, everyone that plays the MOD will be able to see everything. You just say the minimum requirements is a 9500 :)
I would just like to see something stress the card to their limits... As beautifull as it can get. HL2 is way above average, but only *sometime*. I want to see it *all the time*. A fully normal mapped MOD, using shaders and high res textures, and ignoring a polybudget, it will be the most beatifull scenes ever to be shown in a game. Ever. It wont be fast, but who cares, I know I will run it faster than the 5900 Ultra :D

Originally posted by dawdler
No, everyone that plays the MOD will be able to see everything. You just say the minimum requirements is a 9500 :)
I would just like to see something stress the card to their limits... As beautifull as it can get. HL2 is way above average, but only *sometime*. I want to see it *all the time*. A fully normal mapped MOD, using shaders and high res textures, and ignoring a polybudget, it will be the most beatifull scenes ever to be shown in a game. Ever. It wont be fast, but who cares, I know I will run it faster than the 5900 Ultra :D

Yeah , Its allways easy to dream . Do you understand the amount of time that will take? and by the time a "fully" normal mapped mod for HL2 will arrive there will be something else graphic wise that beats both Source and Normal maps .

But as you sad it would be fun to test !!!

Heh, also if everyhting is normal mapped you run into the problem of having a 2GB download for people :p

i also noticed this in klieners lab coz her hands were kind o edgy i guess making the normal map only for heads tkaes up less space and is fairly easier to do lo poly > mesh smooth > normal map.

Does anyone remember the magazine article that detailed the different features that different cards would have in HL2? Didn't it say that DX9 cards would allow all characters to have normal-mapping, and DX8 cards would only allow some characters to have it? It'll be interesting to see how the faces look on DX7 cards.

Can I put normal maps on everything?

In DX8, you can put specular normal maps on all models, and you can put diffuse and specular normal maps on world geometry (including displacement maps).

In DX9, you can additionally put diffuse normal maps on models.

^^ This is from the SDK FAQ and probably what your remembering.

^^ That's interesting, I didn't know that. But what I was thinking of was the magazine scan that described how each generation of cards would run HL2, and had a little table at the end that summarized it all.

yeah, it was from maximum PC. i think someone posted some scans of it in some thread.

Just posted in the Valve Info Thread:

- DX8 hardware:

i. Models: no diffuse bump mapping on models.

Woah! Crud. I guess I will have to upgrade. That kind of sucks. I wonder how blocky the faces will look without normal-mapping.

EDIT: I should've read the FAQ more closely. I hope we'll get to see what it looks like on DX8 hardware before release, I'd hate to start playing the game and then realize the faces don't look near as good.

Yeah the FAQ answer right above says the same thing :D

Go ATI...

What does this mean for people with a Gerforce2mx?
And no, i dont really want to hear "it means its time to upgrade" If i had unlimited money like most people on here i would but hey, waht can i do:p

Originally posted by Fuzzy
What does this mean for people with a Gerforce2mx?
And no, i dont really want to hear "it means its time to upgrade" If i had unlimited money like most people on here i would but hey, waht can i do:p
It means that it wont look very good. Plus you wont run at max settings anyway for that class (maybe a fast G3 could at its DX settings). Basicly, it means it will look like Quake3. I wouldnt exactly say like original HL, since its better than that. But Quake 3 is a pretty good comparison.
If you see the barricade movie, that's fairly "common" rendering, and you'll see that but at lower detail (ie texture resolution, no shadows, lower detail on objects etc). What you wont see is screens like this:
http://www.planethalflife.com/screenshot.asp?src=/half-life2/screenshots/14.jpg
Or this:
http://www.planethalflife.com/screenshot.asp?src=/half-life2/screenshots/23.jpg

BUT no one knows exactly how much Valve has actually pulled of. This is just guessing...

Back