HL2 Multiplayer

Cyperious

Reaction score
Since there's going to be a multiplayer mode, I'm wondering whats going to be in it. No one's said much except for the potential mods. Is it going to be like the first one, where you picked random guns off the ground? It seems like now if it was like that it would not work well because...

1)HL2 seems to be evolving to a more think shooter (as in situations like, if I blow up barrel, it will...)

2)Having vehicles will encourage big levels, which will make guns rarer. You'll have to trekk some distance to get a weapon

The vehicles alone will add a whole new dimension of gameplay. Anyone heard a scrap of info regarding how the mutiplayer will work?

I think they've kept those cards very close the chest.

It won't be TF though.

i hope it has HUGE maps. to where you can go for a while without seeing anyone. have time to get up as a team. im kinda thinking squadbased. but thats not hl style

they better have a freakin regular deathmatch. and just because there are vehicles doesn't mean maps will be large. they'll probably have small hldm maps too. course hopefully there will be large maps and many game types to give some variety.

but we won't know til it comes out will we.

Originally posted by SilentKilla
i hope it has HUGE maps. to where you can go for a while without seeing anyone. have time to get up as a team. im kinda thinking squadbased. but thats not hl style

I wouldn't worry about that too much. My MOD plans for some extensive maps (and I've already started) :).

Multiplayer from valve said its a Secret... :eek:

They have been very secretive about HL2. Unfortunately I can't deliver it for Christmas.

They have said that it's going to be something big though. I'm betting that it's not just going to be "death match, capture the flag, and co-op" modes. I think we'll all be pleasantly suprised.

Though what a cop-out it would be if they just said, "yea, we're leaving it up to the modding community to come up with some great fresh ideas for multiplayer!"

in the Gabe interview at alcatraz ...gabe said hes keeping multiplayer a secret and will be good...he also said he likes it and plays it every day...hehe....no wonder i saw him on steam...with in-game hl2 on his name...with the HL2 logo
LOL :eek:

idk but if they delay hl2 enough it may look pretty ****ty next to modern fps's

Originally posted by Pauly
in the Gabe interview at alcatraz ...gabe said hes keeping multiplayer a secret and will be good...he also said he likes it and plays it every day...hehe....no wonder i saw him on steam...with in-game hl2 on his name...with the HL2 logo
LOL :eek:

-gets jelous- damn guy cant play his own damn game not fair

only especulation until now..although we have quite of few threads about this subject...was a new one really necessary??

They speculated the speculations of the speculations that speculate the speculations of the speculations of HL2 mplayer, this is just a speculation.

Originally posted by chu
They speculated the speculations of the speculations that speculate the speculations of the speculations of HL2 mplayer, this is just a speculation.

I agree.

Somewhat. :E

Hehe...did any of you ever play DE_jeepathon2k?..that was the damn funniest multi map ever..***nning around trying to run over cts with the bomb planetd in your jeep!!...I still laugh when I play it now

The main problem with half life 1 vehicles (such as in the map mentioned) was you'd die randomly. Other than that, it was lots of fun. I look forward to HL2 where 1 person can drive and more people can hop on and shoot.

Anybody ever play de_railroad? Great map, huge train track that goes right round a mountain... and cs_hellfire2. AN amzing map which was basically a city grid with..yes, a moving chopper and drivable jeeps. The ct's started on a rooftop with a helipad...but the terrorists got the chopper. I remember me and some friends in a LAN game swooping down onto the rooftop (defended by five CTs one of which had a gun turret), rifles a' blazin', me humming 'ride of the valkeries'. We stormed the rooftop killing three CTs as we jumped of the chopper but the other two ran downstairs to teh building's garage. I and a friend stayed at the chopper while three of my mates followed them. A couple of seconds later one of the guys who went downstairs came back up with 17hp, shouting (we were in the same room on LAN remember) that the other two were dead and the CTs were escaping. My other friend got on teh gun turret as I geared up teh chopper just in time to see the CTs speed away in a jeep. He fired but didn't kill them and we all piled in teh chopper and followed. We flew behind and above the CT jeep, firing at them, and them firing back at us. I headshotted one as they turned a corner and the other, driving, turned round to fire at us, killing a teammate. Since he wasn't looking where he was going he hit a barrier and due to a little bug on that level went flying high in the air. As we flew over him he bounced up level with us and got a headshot for his troubles.... terrorists win.
Ah, the good old days. If Hl2 mp is half that good I'll be happy.

I'm hoping that there will be bot matches. i've been getting fed up with multiplayer only game, so in theory, i'm only paying for single player. The only computer that i have that will run HalfLife2 is my bedroom computer, and that is noy connected to the internet. I reckon all multiplayer compatible games should come with bot play as part of the package.

i really hope u can play co-op online. I'm gonna guess probably not, but i always enjoy that the most. Having a story driven game that u get to enjoy alongside a friend whose there to help u out. Also, the situations and circumstances broaden so much when u have a friend. So many more fun things u can do by coordinating. This is why STALKER seems so appealing to me. Both games r gonna be fantastic.

I have a $20 deposit down on hl2.
Those guys at the store told me november This year >_<

But of course the hl2 multiplayer will be good.
Multiplayer was the thing that kept the original half-life alive.
Well apart from mod compatability.

They are prolly being secrative for two reasons. 1) Multiplayer is average and they just dont wanna let on and bum anybody out. 2) Its gonna have things like co-op or something tottally different that no one has thought of and Vavle doesnt want to give it away. I got my fingers crossed for #2.

No Valve isn't making a co-op, they are going to have the team behind svencoop create a hl2 co-op mod.

Death evader, ur gonna be upset if u want to get hl2 through steam, or if we HAVE too, that would suck. That'd be a bad move for VALVe. I will prolly get it through steam anyway, im gonna get me a 9600 XT with the voucher, and i frame the voucher, and then no one can steal it. cause ill alarm it. :naughty:

One thing that surprises me is that there wasn't a native HL option to add bots to a multiplayer game. The only bots you had were 3rd party mods. They probably used part of the AI code from the single-player part of the game, though I'm not sure about that. Anyone who knows? My point is, what with the excellent AI you'll get in HL2 single player, will there be a native option for bots in MP games (which is my bet), or will they have to be modded in?

And about the co-op, I think Baldrick is right.

Side note: Hey Baldrick, would you care for buying my Giant Turnip for a bargain price? http://www.onthisdayinoregon.com/images/11_06.gif < on nov 6th it was this big! now it's even twice as large!

Ro@cH said:
One thing that surprises me is that there wasn't a native HL option to add bots to a multiplayer game. The only bots you had were 3rd party mods. They probably used part of the AI code from the single-player part of the game, though I'm not sure about that. Anyone who knows? My point is, what with the excellent AI you'll get in HL2 single player, will there be a native option for bots in MP games (which is my bet), or will they have to be modded in?

And about the co-op, I think Baldrick is right.

Side note: Hey Baldrick, would you care for buying my Giant Turnip for a bargain price? http://www.onthisdayinoregon.com/images/11_06.gif < on nov 6th it was this big! now it's even twice as large!

If I remember correctly, someone from valve stated that they would supply some of the ai code in the sdk or they were going to show mod makers how to impliment bots at that open house tutorial thing. I probably got all the facts and opinions mixed up, I don't know I'm tired.

I don't think that 64 people in a HL2 match would be good because I've played soldier of fortune 2 mp with over 55 people and it isn't fun because teams cant make progress because there is always about 8 people from the other team around every corner, and stuff. shit, I started rambling, sorry.

They could place people in different teams based on there experiance. I.e. eight of the most experianced players in one team. and 16 newbies on one team. It reminds me of Black Hawk Down, where the two Delta Force guys and the Pilot were overun by somalians. They could be tested by a sort of Hazard Course for multiplayer where it will test Mobility, Accuracy, Speed and Endurance.

I think CS2 will be the multiplayer component because in the info from Valve thread the hacker replyed to an email saying:

"cs2 will ship as hl2s multiplayer component"

This was definatly the hacker bacause Gabe always uses correct punctuation and he would never be that open ended about the multiplayer after being silent for months. Another reason I can't say because I would get banned.
Oh and the post was deleted from the info from valve thread.

That quote is definetly hacker talk. Call the grammar police!
Hopefully they will include bots, but even if they don't I'm posotive that HL2 multiplayer, while it may not be amazing, will be enjoyable at the very least. HL2 is for the SP experience anyway.

I would like to see TF2 be part of HL2's multiplayer. I highly doubt CS2 will be, as most likely it will be stand alone game, from a economical point of view, its player base is so huge, it would be dumb for valve to release the sequel to the #1 played FPS free as a add-on.

But, TF2 on other hand, just maybe. They could package TF2 like they did CS1, you could buy it seperate for say 20$, or just have it as a add-on to HL2.

just my opinions.

TF2 will not be packaged with HL2. Everytime someone asks this they say "No." with great certainty. Though, there is still hope for CS2 being packaged with HL2... because they always either avoid answering that question when it comes up or they answer "No comment."

Has anyone proven that wrong since the last time I said it?

It's definitely going to be a killer app for online gaming. The thing that concerns me is that there will be many gamers that will try and connect to a game using a dial up connection. I just hope the coding is optimized effectively so that that lag doesn't become so much of an issue. We don't want a reoccurance of CS style lag matches.
With vehicles included in the mix, I would say at this stage that anything less than a 512k connection just won't cut it. For those of us unlucky enough to live in the UK we are screwed over by the phone line company (BT). It sucks having a 1Mbps download speed but being capped to 256kbps upload....

Well we can all hope. I just hope vavle doesnt go milking the cow here, charging a full $40 each for CS2, HL2, and TF2, which im guessing they well, unless you go the steam subscription way. Id like to see two of them in sort of package deal, I suppose thats the "we got the mods for free last time" speaking, but hey, i have put alot of time, and money around the hl engine, being a top notch CS player, so i can wish, lol.

and you think your rates are bad... try have a 2megabit down, and 120kbs up... thats a fricken joke.

Back