HL2 Never even launches...

D

dcane

Hi all. I am attempting to use HL2 - I purchased and installed the 5CD G-Man set. Install completed without problems. when I go to steam to launch the game, (play game) I get a preparing to play Half-life 2, then nothing. If my CD is NOT in the drive. I get the correct error to insert the CD key, then nothing. The Process (hl2.exe) is "spinning" at 50% processor (I have a 3Ghz HT, so to me that says 100% CPU by a non HT-enabled app).

My system has plenty of horsepower to run this thing.
Its an alienware 3Ghz, 1GB RAM, ATI 9800 Pro 256MB, twin SATA 160's, etc.. I keep the drivers up to spec, and just double checked the ATI catalyst driver. If the game was hanging I would think that would be it, but its not even getting that far.

I have also tried to "delete local game content" and had it redownload the whole thing (all the way to 100%). Still no luck.

I could use some advise here.

Thanks! :sniper:

I can't say this is definitely your problem, but it sounds like some kind of issue with the SecuROM copy protection on the game disc. If SecuROM recognizes a "bad" disc, it will refuse to run the game completely, giving no feedback. Now, you are of course using an original game disc, but some CD/DVD drives have problems with certain versions of certain copy protections, and SecuROM might be to blame.

Again, this may not be your problem, but I would look at this possibility. Try sticking the disc in another drive, if you have one, and you might also want to try updating your drive's firmware.

I'm guessing you have a steam account and have also unlocked the files.

What catalyst version are you using? I had 4.11 with control center and downloaded and installed the 4.12 beta version with ati control panel, and my game would not run. (conflict between control center and panel-- if both are running, there might be a problem)

Uninstall drivers and other ati apps. Pick one package and re-install.

Turn off firewalls and antivirus.

Dunno what else to tell you. Good luck.

Back