hl2 restarts pc

K

kishan

ok so i just bought half life 2 for my new computer which comes with cs and other things, installed steam and the games, activated, updated but i cant run them! i click on the icons and it says preparing to launch game then screen blacks out and restarts the pc! i really dont know what to do..my pc can handle the game specs so why is it doing this? any help would be great
--
he newest Intel® Dual Core processor architecture!
Intel® Pentium® D Dual Core processor 830
3.0 GHz, 2 x 1MB L2 Cache, 800 MHz FSB
Future-proof technology due to 64 bit support
Optimum performance due to 2MB cache, Dual Core technology

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition SP2

1024 MB DDR2 SDRAM with 533 MHz
64 Bit dual channel memory

250 GB hard disk 8MB cache
S-ATA 150 Interface super fast 7200 rpm

NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6700 XL
High-end graphics card
TV out connections via:
SCART, S-Video, Composite or Component
(YUV; YPrPb) High Definition
Super fast GDDR3 memory at 1,100MHz.
NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6700 XL
Graphics processor with 525 MHz
128 MB PCI Express x16 bus concept

Hm dunno, is everything up-to-date? Drivers etc?

I'd bet it has something to do with the 64 bit processor. Are you using the Windows 64 Bit version?

Sorry, that's all I have in mind for now..

Well your right your PC is a powerhouse check your video driver by right-clicking the screen, property, settings, advanced. You will see your card name and the chip manufacturer in the tap next to color management. If you press it you will see what forceware version you have. Compare it to Nvidia latest driver in the Nvidia download page http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.98.html and update it if you have to.

Before download it, uninstall old driver by hitting star, control panel, add/remove programs and uninstall Nvidia display drivers including you personal NView settings. Reboot system.
Cancel Found New Hardware dialog, Download New driver version 81.98 disable all Virus-Scan, Spyware-Scan, Firewalls, Windows Registry-Scan Sofwares and install driver. Reboot system.

Also do HD defragmenter if you already didn’t do so.

Good Luck.

hi guys

every time i download a update for gfx card it says not compatible with your hardware and exits

forceware is 81.82 but its not letting me update so i dont know what to do

You got XP home Edition SP2 y you wanna download V.81.82 I gave u the link for XP Home download site?
where did you find the 81.82 version I cant find it on Nvidia driver download page?

Ooo, Ooo, Me too! Me too!

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have been searching for a solution to this same problem and ended up here. Steam seems to work fine and goes through its regular updates no problem, but when I try to launch HL2 it just proceeds to reboot my computer. I have downloaded and installed the newest drivers numerous times and updated the bios on my motherboard to no avail. The game has worked fine in the past, I even finished the game, but after one of the steam updates it would no longer work. I had steam validate my files and it said everything was fine. I even had steam delete all the files and redownload and install them. I can run all kinds of other games no problem, F.E.A.R. & Doom 3 just to name a couple that should tax my system as much as HL2.

System specs:
Athlon 64 3000+
1gb DDR400
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Mobo
2x XFX GeForce 6600gt 128mb PCI-E (SLI)
X-Connect 500W Modular PS
(P.S. I have run in sli and single card configurations with the same result.)

Thank you, and any replies will be greatly appreciated

hi again guys!

my forceware is 81.82, i didnt download it, it was with it when i bought the pc

my nvidia card isnt real..i think its another model but its "overclocking" to run as NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6700 XL

im not sure what overclocking even means.. i tried to turn down my gfx card by 2 settings but still no luck

im very upset that i bought this game, my pc should be able to run it but it cant!!!!! ;(

i can run other games such as wolfenstein enemy territory with ease

kishan said:
hi again guys!
my forceware is 81.82, i didnt download it, it was with it when i bought the pc

my nvidia card isnt real..i think its another model but its "overclocking" to run as NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6700 XL

im not sure what overclocking even means.. i tried to turn down my gfx card by 2 settings but still no luck

im very upset that i bought this game, my pc should be able to run it but it cant!!!!! ;(

i can run other games such as wolfenstein enemy territory with ease

Well if you're not sure what overclocking mean, please have a friend look at your PC and this thread, to help you out. Because you do seem to be a computer illiterate (No Offence please) and don't seem to be able to do it yourself.
The castle by the way is much less demanding game and basically need a moped comparing to HL2.
Sorry.

birdoprey said:
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have been searching for a solution to this same problem and ended up here. Steam seems to work fine and goes through its regular updates no problem, but when I try to launch HL2 it just proceeds to reboot my computer. I have downloaded and installed the newest drivers numerous times and updated the bios on my motherboard to no avail. The game has worked fine in the past, I even finished the game, but after one of the steam updates it would no longer work. I had steam validate my files and it said everything was fine. I even had steam delete all the files and redownload and install them. I can run all kinds of other games no problem, F.E.A.R. & Doom 3 just to name a couple that should tax my system as much as HL2.

System specs:
Athlon 64 3000+
1gb DDR400
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Mobo
2x XFX GeForce 6600gt 128mb PCI-E (SLI)
X-Connect 500W Modular PS
(P.S. I have run in sli and single card configurations with the same result.)

Thank you, and any replies will be greatly appreciated

Basically when system goes down to the "Blue Screen Of Death" 80% of the time its a heardware/heardware driver glitch. And the worst thing about it is that the problem doesn't happen every time you launch game/software, but whenever you launch that one particular game/software. For that case harder to nail down the source of the rpoblem.
You do have a SLI MOBO ASUS to be in particular. Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe MOBO is one of the most powerful MOBOs out there and those two Geforce 6600 GT will give plenty of ram and 500W PSU. So you really rolling there.
What OS? If XP is it updated to SP2 yet? Did you over-clock anything like CPU,GPU,Memory,FSB? give me little history here as what had happen or you did as to upgrade the PC.
Also check that link in the thread that I posted for the other fella for your driver version maybe you gonna have reinstall driver and while you at it check your Sound-Card/Driver too. If you do have an integrated, its time to get creative.

Good luck

A game can't "restart" your PC, my guess is that you are getting BSOD related to faulty hardware/crappy drivers and windows restarts the PC immediatly.

But unfortunatly I can't remember how to turn off this so it won't restart as soon as it hits a BSOD.

kk sorry guys but iam little

i went to my computer makes site and entered the pc serial and found new drivers, theres quite a few so it will take a while to update

wish me luck

Check, check and check...

Hello again. I have updated all my hardware with the newest drivers numerous times (uninstalling the old ones before doing so.) I even flashed my mobo bios. I am running Win XP Pro with SP2 installed and fully updated. I have no overclocked hardware and everything is properly cooled. Everything seems to be running clean and cool except HL2. Major bummer :(

Well, you can always try sending a Support Ticket to Steam Support.
Link

I actually had the exact same thing happen to me when I first installed HL2, and it was happening on CS as well. It was horribly frustrating, but what finally fixed it for me was doing an express update of my motherboard drivers. It sounds like you've tried that or something similar, but I thought maybe at least hearing it from someone else that has had the problem, you would know what direction to continue looking. Good luck getting the game up and running! It's an amazing game and I'd hate for you to miss out on it!

Back