HL2 Score (OST)

Reaction score
Watching different movies from the in game, I have noticed that the music is somewhat techno alike, in the soft end of course! I find the music in the movies "Baracade", "E³ 2004 - Removing the mines from the car" and "E³ 2004 - the crane sekvence".

What do you think about score? Will it be in a "Music" folder in the HL2 folder like it is in fx Unreal Tournament 2004, or will it be release on a CD like Final Fantasy X and X-2 was?

Or maybe it's with the Collectors Edition or whatever it is called?

Im pretty sure you will have to extract it from some file or find it in a jungle of folders in the hl2 install folder... dont think they will release a CD with them.

Probably in mp3 format like the current half-life soundtrack on steam.

They also said that you'd be able to play your own mp3s while playing; which could be cool for multiplayer.

You can always just put in a CD and Half-Life2 will play that!

I'm pretty sure I read the music was in a folder and it was in MP3 format.

The old CD version of Half-Life ran music off the CD. Now the Steam version that doesn't require the CD just takes them off the hard drive, but will play the music if a CD is in the drive. I think that's the way round it is any way.

I can't wait to play Ride of the Valkries while combine dropships fly over my head :D

But I guess they don't need to include a MP3 player with the game, you can just run WinAmp in the backround.

And about the music, they will either leave it in a music folder in MP3 format, or release a free CD over steam with the songs on em.

Another great tune for the game:
William Tell Overture during the buggy sequence.
The song is used in Clockwork Orange during the Time Lapse threesome scene if you don't know the tune. not sure if that helps : /

Hehe, yeah the Warcraft 2 cd plays music in normal cd players as well.

Orange said:
The song is used in Clockwork Orange during the Time Lapse threesome scene if you don't know the tune. not sure if that helps : /

I know the song you are talking about. I think its Bach of Beatoven(sp?).

The music played during the hovercraft part when you fight the helecopter sounded pretty cool... Would love to have that thing on a playlist.

Orange said:
Bethoven did that one I think.

Z|insane said:
Bethoven did that one I think.

I've got the CD. Let me check...

Yup, not Ludwig. It says Gioacchino Rossini composed it.

Anyways, the creepiest music I've heard is Evacutation by Mike Oldfield. It would fit HL very well.

the game seems to have some good atmosphere with the music. i think the music they had with the pre e3 2004 teaser was very cool, and i hope its in the game.

Yeah, I really liked the music we've heard so far. It fits.

A bit too technoy in some cases but i'm sure you will be able to remove the tracks you dislike.

The music of HL1 just fit so well.

One of the best FITTING music sequences from it was "Sirens in the distance"

Starts out with you hearing a faint HL type siren wailing, it's great.

A bit too technoy in some cases but i'm sure you will be able to remove the tracks you dislike.

what are you talking about man techno rules

Does the music in HL2 quieten when someone speaks to you?

Cos in the Barricade vid when Barney says "cover me" i could swear that the volume of the music lowered. Check it out for yourselves. I think it's a good addition.

I believe Gabe said the music in HL2 is dynamic depending on the situation.

no no i mean they were in a fight scene and the music quietened then went louder. When Gabe says dynamic i think he just means the music will change if you go from a fight scene to a chillout scene.

This was in a fight scene and Barney only spoke for a second.

The new music should be something else. Ravenholm will probably leave everyone on the edge of their seat with it's music and surprises. Techno is pretty good, and fitting for a sci-fi game. I have all of the music from the original on a CD and it really is great background. HL2's music should surpass it quickly though.

So wait, the music will just play from a playlist? I was under the impression different music would play according to the situation. Like, i noticed the same kinda music for driving, then no music for the quieter situations.

Anyway, i really liked all the music, i didn't find it too techno-ey. It fit very well, if you ask me.

Back