Hl2 Shortened? (may not want to read)

Reaction score
If you open the HL2 sounds pre-load with GCFScape, go to ambient sounds, and then levels, you can see that there are only 6 levels. Valve said that each chapter is approxamitly 3-4 hours, meaning a max of about 24 hours. Could they have shortened it, or are they making the levels longer?

We don't have the entire preload yet.

They could just as easily reuse sounds. Think before jumping to conclusions.

who said the pre-load is over?

no one did. there will be more pre-loads with more levels on them

who knows

Who knows? They might not have pre-loaded the complete audio for the game..

I am aware of that, but considering they seem to be grouping it (Sounds package, and the base materials package), its just seems like thats it for sounds for now. Obviosly you could be right though.

Cyber$nake said:
If you open the HL2 sounds pre-load with GCFScape, go to ambient sounds, and then levels, you can see that there are only 6 levels. Valve said that each chapter is approxamitly 3-4 hours, meaning a max of about 24 hours. Could they have shortened it, or are they making the levels longer?

Might be that they made each level longer giving a total of 6chapters

Or they may of devided the ambient sounds into 6, for general references

Are there any other files that indicate there are more levels included

If you go to "common" in sounds, it says Citadel eli_lab k_lab NovaProspekt and trainyard. In the levels folder i was talking about there's canals, citadel, coast, labs, prison, and streetwar. Any ideas?

I'm really hoping it's incomplete-

There's surprisingly little G-man dialogue

I'd expect to see something for Ravenholm, so I reckon it is uncomplete...

It's possible that sounds are going to be reused in a number of levels

eg:

Level 3 - City17

the actual number of maps for that could be 10 or 12. But most of it would use the same sounds

And as others say, the preloads aren't finished yet, so there might be more yet. We'll not know for sure until we've completed it.

this is only part of the game
i m guessing there is still 60 % of it left to download

.. even if the sounds are already downloaded there is still more content to be made available to make the game long... unless they did the whole grooping thing inorder to clean up the file system and folders..

the game is huge. sounds are only 20% of the game.

why would they shorten it ? .... makes no sense whatsoever

Guys I have that text that spoils alot of the game, well I didn't want to watch but did it just for you. It says that it has 13 chapters, thats more than double you're saying

Valve will never shorten anything..... When companies shorten things its because they have a strict deadline (companies like EA or Ubisoft)

Valve has no set deadline and will include everything they set out to include. Thats the way that they do things. NOTHING will be cut out unless they felt that it wasnt worth putting in.

Dont worry The game will be plenty long.

*CL_Spockmode1*

This is all pointless speculation from which no concrete conclusion can be reached. Therefore it would be illogical to continue the discussion.

*CL_Spockmode0*

Sorta like what they did in the Jedi Knight 2 .pk3's .. A certain Star Wars music or song maybe had the name for the level cairn_bay but was used in like 3-4 other levels and areas aswell. It's just so they know what song they're using, instead of having to say "aight we take song03 here", they can just say "let's use the cairn bay music here too".

preloading is deffinitely far from over. they havent even shipped the game yet ffs lol.

btw, i wonder if steam users who preloaded hl2 will have to wait for it to hit the shelves before hl2 becomes 'unlocked from your pc'. it would be good if we got it before, but thats just me.

Valve would never have any reason to cut out bits from Half-Life 2. They haven't shortened it - it's just not something they'd do.

Moved to R & S I guess...

There are loads of empty folders in the sound cache file, an obvious indication that they simply haven't preloaded all of the sounds yet.

Well from the looks of it a lot of the game takes place in or near City 17. So it has a lot of the same ambient sound, a windy building top, the crunching citadel, propaganda announcements etc. Then there are pretty genric ones like distant battle sounds, guys yelling "Strider" and sounds of machinery which can be used anywhere.

I would assume they are only preolading whats done. They may have only finished 6 levels all the way, there could easily be 4 or 5 more levels they are still fine tuning. so they may not be preloading all the sounds, just what they are done with. Hell, this preload may still be going on in december, knowing valve.

vALVE have announced before that it will take 25 hours to complete though. Thats still long, though, the length of many newer rpg's.

I dont think that we have all the sounds

Valve Said "50 enemies" I see audio for about 10

Nex321 said:
Guys I have that text that spoils alot of the game, well I didn't want to watch but did it just for you. It says that it has 13 chapters, thats more than double you're saying

yes im aware that it was ORIGINALLY posted that it would have 13 chapters. Is this from the script leak? If so then im happy ;-).

and im bumping this, final preload given out!

I guess that it would make the most sense if there were simply a few chapters in each level. They said 13 CHAPTERS around 3 hours, and there could be several chapters in a level.

McWarren said:
I'm really hoping it's incomplete-

There's surprisingly little G-man dialogue

I'd expect to see something for Ravenholm, so I reckon it is uncomplete...

Err.. the g-man didnt say much in the first game now did he> Why would he need to speak any more than he did last time. Hes gonna be just as shifty and mysterious

Xeni said:
yadda-yadda

Thanks for spoiling it all to us. Next time, I'd appreciate if you could reply in a spoilertag if you have to discuss sensitive matters like this. :|

CrazyHarij said:
Thanks for spoiling it all to us. Next time, I'd appreciate if you could reply in a spoilertag if you have to discuss sensitive matters like this. :|

Sorry
Sorry, but did you really really think that the gman would be talking like a novel? Hes the dog with the shifty eyes. Thats technically not a spoiler ffs.

Back