HL2 Steam Preload/Physical Box & Paying...etc!

lifebringer

Reaction score
shoot me if this is too similar to the thread started by 'shadow stalker' -- and mods please let me know if all this has been discussed before.

okay, obviously i want to buy the collectors edition, but OBVIOUSLY i want to play the game the second it comes out, which would mean preloading, which i think (considering i don't and won't have an ati voucher) would mean buying it via steam within the next few weeks. so basically - is there any news on whether or not you can get a physical copy if you buy/preload the game via steam?

also, i'm assuming that you can't preload the game via steam (as shadow stalker asked about) unless you either 1) have an ati voucher or 2) buy it via steam...i don't think it's likely they let you preload the game and play it for free for a few days while your pre-ordered copy ships from amazon/walmart/etc to your house on the "condition" that you'll enter the cdkey once you have the physical product....lol

so my dilemma is probably one a great deal of you have: i want the CE but i also want the game as fast as possible. i'm assuming here that valve will make the CE worthwhile, but even if it's not worth the extra cash, i'd still (like many of you) like to have a physical copy, but i'd STILL (sigh...) like to play it as fast as possible...

sigh....

and, any news on WHAT will be in the CE?

finally, all of you are merely guessing that it'll be out in 2-8 weeks, based on the tuesday preload-start date, right? i haven't read anything official of these release estimates, but that amount of time seems reasonable. i've got a new damn computer to order/build, so they better give us a heads up at least a week before they release it....

any information is appreciated...thanks.

i hope all of this was clear and not too repetative... as i said, i know all of this has been discussed here and there on this thread or that thread, but I want to know if there's any more current info than what i read from my searches.

It will surely be availible in stores or arrive (if pre-ordered) on the same day it is avalible to "activate" over steam.

Global_Inferno said:
It will surely be availible in stores or arrive (if pre-ordered) on the same day it is avalible to "activate" over steam.

makes sense, but i still wouldn't trust any retailer 100% to deliver it on that day, or trust any local store 100% to have a copy available to buy (esp if i want the CE)...

Box, any day. What if our PCs broke down? With a boxed copy we'd be able to reload it.

Oddity said:
Box, any day. What if our PCs broke down? With a boxed copy we'd be able to reload it.

thanks for the input, but i wasn't taking a poll here..lol. and the only people dumb enough to lose their copy if their hdd broke or something are the people who don't know how to use pens.

Oddity said:

You only need your Steam account... You can re-dl the game from any machine, any time. You can only play it online (With steam online at all) on one machine at a time.

Back