HL2 through Steam - $50. Fair?

Is $50 a fair price for HL2 through Steam?

• Yes. VALVe deserves it.

Votes: 105 65.2%
  • No. Why pay the same for less, and let VALVe reap the benifits?

Votes: 56 34.8%

• Total voters

f|uke

Reaction score
Ok, I'm a little surprised here.

ASSUMING RETAIL COSTS THE SAME PRICE
Why would VALVe expect us to pay $50 for HL2 through Steam?

We do not get the CD or booklet, and they do not (theoretically) have to share any of this money with the publisher or retailers.

Of course VALVe should make more money through Steam sales, but shouldn't they share the benifits with the consumer?

I think a price of $40 is fair for all parties. This $50 price tag has me a little dissapointed.

**edit: according to Shuzer, VUg does get a cut. It is, however, considerably less, and still, no retail cut or manufacturing cost.

They stated a long while ago that Vivendi still makes profits from Steam, but the tables are turned. As opposed to say, Vivendi making 80% from retail and Valve 20%, it's Valve 80% and Vivendi 20% (I made these figures up).

Anyhow, I agree. $40 would be more logical, IMO

You do have a point actually. They don't have to pay for all the manufacturing costs and distributing. We dont get any hard copies like you mentioned which is one of my favorite things about buying a game so yeah it seems a little steep.

With the strong price of the british pound, does that mean i can get the game for £27 then thru steam? (roughly £.55/$1)

All is far in love for money.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm positive that's partially due to VUG too (although I'm sure Valve won't be sad about it) that Valve can't sell the game for like 35 dollar, they would still make more than they would retail and they would sell more too. VUG probably wouldn't like that so they are most likely obligated to go retail prices.

And btw, 49,95 dollar would be cheaper for europeans, games here are retail 50 euro, that's more than 50 dollars. And it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the game would be 60 retail. Damn leeches.

Hell yeah it's fair, 50$ is a lot cheaper than 60€ (that's what games cost here)! :D

here's my guess. valve cannot undercut Vivendi by selling HL2 in any form for less than vivendi is selling the standard retail package. they probably would like to sell for less, but that would be sneaky business practices, and is probably detailed in their 2001 agreement.

The way I look at it, I'm getting three top-tier professional games for 60.00, plus mods, plus hl:source, plus all of valve's old games. Just those three games alone (HL2 CS:S and DoD:S) are each worth $20 to me. They are even worth $30 each to me, so i'm probably going to buy gold.

It's a high price, but it's a good product.

Yeah, Valve is definitely making out VERY WELL if you buy it through Steam. I'd say a $45 Steam price-point would be appropriate.

I'm buying retail to get all my money's worth.

You guys dont get it.

I dont care how much the box would cost in your country

The question is, is it fair for VALVe to charge the same price for Steam sales as one would pay for retail, where you get a box, booklet, and CDs.

AC1D said:
You do have a point actually. They don't have to pay for all the manufacturing costs and distributing. We dont get any hard copies like you mentioned which is one of my favorite things about buying a game so yeah it seems a little steep.

You got to think of the price of the bandwidth they are using, and will be using. That much bandwidth is not cheap.

f|uke said:
Ok, I'm a little surprised here.

Why would VALVe expect us to pay $50 for HL2 through Steam?

We do not get the CD or booklet, and they do not (theoretically) have to share any of this money with the publisher or retailers.

Of course VALVe should make more money through Steam sales, but shouldn't they share the benifits with the consumer?

I think a price of $40 is fair for all parties. This $50 price tag has me a little dissapointed.

**edit: according to Shuzer, VUg does get a cut. It is, however, considerably less, and still, no retail cut or manufacturing cost.

W00t thank god for my ati voucher + my 10 bux = Silver biotches!

TheInfamousMobb said:
W00t thank god for my ati voucher + my 10 bux = Silver biotches!
I have an ATi voucher. I'm going to be paying $40 for Gold. Still I am dissapointed in VALVe.

wow, I was thinking 40 would be the price of like the silver package.
I would say they deserved whatever they asked, if not for the sorry mp component (my opinion)
but screw paying 50 bucks for HL2 and CS:S, DOD:S, and HL:S
one would think that the CS:S and DOD:S as well as HL:S should be free and or should have been left to the modders to do themselves.. rather than charge us for them :/

anyway. I guess Im getting bronze...
initially I wanted the CE and one reg store bought copy
then I wanted 2 regs
then 1 reg 1 steam copy
now Im thinking about "trying" the game before I buy it. (not warez)

RIPPED OFF
Valve is making a Monopoly...

I am SO ANNOYED....
I live in Regional Australia, I have asked and noone will sell the Collectors edition where I live. I so I have to order it from the US....
It will cost me $109.60 US DOLLARS. That is already more then the GOLD edition. Now change that to AUS DOLLARS..... $160 AUD

I'd die a happy man when games started going for 40$ here in Sweden. I'd die from a heart attack on the spot. I have no problem with the 50$ tag right now. Even the Gold tag ain't very shocking to me (okay maybe for a PC game but with that content? Yes please). That's practically ANY good game here Sweden. No different.

Edit: And as someone said earlier, you're gonna have to get used to it one day either way so why not start now? :)

you wanted it for $40? you're complaining about $10!! besides, look what you can get with an extra $10 - silver!

Alec_85 said:
I'd die a happy man when games started going for 40$ here in Sweden. I'd die from a heart attack on the spot. I have no problem with the 50$ tag right now. Even the Gold tag ain't very shocking to me (okay maybe for a PC game but with that content? Yes please). That's practically ANY good game here Sweden. No different.

Edit: And as someone said earlier, you're gonna have to get used to it one day either way so why not start now? :)
Yes, but usually you're paying for the CD and Booklet, and the expences of the retailer and the publisher.

Steam changes this. The rules are different now.
poksmote said:
you wanted it for $40? you're complaining about $10!! besides, look what you can get with an extra $10 - silver!
As I said,. I'm going to buy the Gold editition. What I am complaining about is PRINCIPLE and PRECIDENT.

im wondering what the collectors box you get with the gold edition is... i wonder if thes the CE box and if so does it come with the hard copy?

fishy80 said:
im wondering what the collectors box you get with the gold edition is... i wonder if thes the CE box and if so does it come with the hard copy?

Im sure it would be HL1. It could not be HL2, Vivendi would sue their arses, well deserved might I add.

I couldn't give a damn about Valve's announced pricing options: but I can't believe that even the Silver package has DoD:S and yet the CE doesn't :flame:

Presumably it's not complete and will need huge amounts of data sent through Steam to update and activate, but they could at least give a free CD key or whatever to CE purchasers: hell, even though I'm on 56k at least I could download massive amounts of data if I wanted to :(

f|uke said:
You guys dont get it.

I dont care how much the box would cost in your country

The question is, is it fair for VALVe to charge the same price for Steam sales as one would pay for retail, where you get a box, booklet, and CDs.

No I do not think it is "fair", especially since Steam was supposed to "pass" some savings onto us while giving more to the developer.

More convienant and cheaper for the consumer while putting more money in the pocket of the developer.

Well they got half of it right.

I mught "flop" back and go Retail.

DarkStar said:
Yeah, Valve is definitely making out VERY WELL if you buy it through Steam. I'd say a $45 Steam price-point would be appropriate.

I'm buying retail to get all my money's worth.

Definetely retail. I'm in it for the best possible deal for me, not Vivendi or Valve.

$50 is the standard price point for games. Valve is selling at that price point. What's the big deal? They COULD sell bronze for $40, but they know the market will pay $50 for it, so they'd be retards to cut themselves out of $10 on every Steam purchase.

Since a lot more money goes directly to Valve if you buy over Steam, you're supporting Valve much more if you buy it that way.

Is the box/manual really that important to you?

They're only charging five bucks each for Half-Life Source and Day of Defeat Source. Heh.

Edcrab said:
I couldn't give a damn about Valve's announced pricing options: but I can't believe that even the Silver package has DoD:S and yet the CE doesn't :flame:

Presumably it's not complete and will need huge amounts of data sent through Steam to update and activate, but they could at least give a free CD key or whatever to CE purchasers: hell, even though I'm on 56k at least I could download massive amounts of data if I wanted to :(

Exactly!
Two things here:
Either Vivendi developed the package, or valve did.

If vivendi did, then really, they are doing nothing wrong and valve is just very generous.

If valve developed the CE package though, then **** them. Its mind boggling unfair compared to the other packages.

GorgeousOrifice said:
$50 is the standard price point for games. Valve is selling at that price point. What's the big deal? They COULD sell bronze for $40, but they know the market will pay $50 for it, so they'd be retards to cut themselves out of $10 on every Steam purchase.

Since a lot more money goes directly to Valve if you buy over Steam, you're supporting Valve much more if you buy it that way.

I haven't bought a game that cost $50 in ages. I even got Doom 3 at a discount. The typical price for a game is $40.

Retail for me.

50 bucks with no cd or booklet = teh pricey.

blahblahblah said:
I haven't bought a game that cost $50 in ages. I even got Doom 3 at a discount. The typical price for a game is $40.

Well, it ain't here in Seattle. Nor in D.C.

GorgeousOrifice said:
I could give a flying **** about that crap. What I expected is for VALVe to share in the advantages of Steam with the consumer.

Sure $50 is standard. But in the same reguard, getting $10 is standard for VALVe. Clearly the "standards" do not apply here.

Steam is no longer as appealing a concept to me. Nor is buying non HL2 products from VALVe.

I wonder how much it costs to upkeep those high speed Steam servers and all that bandwith? Note: I am serious about this, not trying to be rhetorical.

Also remember that you get Half-Life 2 and CS:S. Which is (unfortunatelly imo) suppost to count as HL2 mutliplayer and as a "extra" game if you will. That could be their reasoning I suppose.

Perhaps we should look at $50 like being the total cost of the game plus the shipping fees one would pay for buying it over the internet. Except you don't have to wait for the mailman.

f|uke said:
Yes, but usually you're paying for the CD and Booklet, and the expences of the retailer and the publisher.
Steam changes this. The rules are different now.
The Gold edition might send this in the package (collector's box). If you're getting Bronze or possibly Silver, I'd go for retail since they don't mention shipping anything in those packages.

The big plus for Steam now are, CS:S tomorrow, cool extras that you can't get in retail, DOD:S & frankly, Vivendi getting less money which a lot of people seem to be interested in :E

Alec_85 said:
The Gold edition might send this in the package (collector's box).
No, it is not included. And I am not comparing CEs and Silvers and blah blah blah..

This is comparing RETAIL HL2 to BRONZE. Period.

f|uke said:
I could give a flying **** about that crap. What I expected is for VALVe to share in the advantages of Steam with the consumer.

Sure $50 is standard. But in the same reguard, getting $10 is standard for VALVe. Clearly the "standards" do not apply here.

Steam is no longer as appealing a concept to me. Nor is buying non HL2 products from VALVe.

That's fine. More power to you if you want to buy the box. I'm not going to say it's wrong. Obviously Valve wants you to buy through Steam, and they're trying to throw tons of "cool bonus stuff" at you if you do.

But frankly, I can't think of very many businesses who manage to improve revenue and then cut in the customers. If Valve were a public company with shareholders, THEY would be the ones to get a dividend or something, NOT the customers. It's just supply and demand -- they know we'll pay $50, so that's the price. But my point is that Valve has no moral obligation to pass any savings on to you. If they did, great, but if not, no foul.

Back