hl2 was really announced 3+ years ago!

tic

Reaction score
I was just looking in my old pc gamer mags when i came across the february 2000 issue. i forgot all about it but anyway it was the issue about all you need to know about all the new hl games including tf2, OForce, they hunger & first word on hl2.

anyway here is what it said.

Half-Life 2
Of course, the game that has half-life fans really begging is the rumored full sequel. having achieved unprecedented critical and commercial success, a follow-up would seem inevitable, after all. but curiously, a full year after the original game's release, valve has never gone on the record regarding the status of a sequel...until now.
Valve's managing director gabe newell admits that it's been tough to keep quiet on the issue under such intense media pressure. "I have been dodging so many questions about half-life 2, i feel like i'm playing hunted with robin walker again," he says. "obviously we'd be stupid not to create a sequel to PC Gamer's number one rated game of all time. and obviously there's a lot from half-life that was left unresolved. however, i don't want to talk about it until we know how half-life 2 is going to be a bigger step forward than the original. we have the luxury of being driven by our own aspirations, rather than by cost constraints or short-term thinking. in contrast, there have been some pretty mediocre sequels that have come out lately, and as a gamer that's been really disappointing. fans expect that half-life 2 will be the most amazing game they've ever played, and the game will be announced when we know how we are going to deliver that."
so there you have it. er, almost.

so we really knew the game was coming back than. er, almost. :)

"gabe newell admits that it's been tough to keep quiet on the issue under such intense media pressure."

cool. I am sooooo glad i didnt see that in 2000. I might not have had any life at all :p

imagine if this had all started back then, such a long wait. i wouldnt have minded not finding out about hl2 before a week before it was released. (so much wasted time here:cheese:)

Not hard to imagine, just look at 3drealms and how they ****ed up their fans.

If that's it, it was announced in 1999. as duh, mr. obvious.

Btw that interview didn't announced the sequel at all. just that it would be stupid not to do. Which could be guessed a couple of months after release when it was getting popular as hell.

hmm, yeh i remember seeing Half life 2 in a January issue of PC Zone a few years ago where they look at all the upcoming games for that year.
Unfortunately i've thrown out all my older pc mags, so i cant go and check :(

Yep, there were pretty strong rumours at the time about HL2, but everyone forgot about it :)

Back