HL2 Won't start in Offline Mode

lord dubu

Reaction score
I did a search for "offline" figuring it might already have been mentioned, but I still didn't see this exact issue addressed. So here goes:

For months I've been playing HL2 no problem, online or off. Starting 2 days ago, I cannot play in offline mode. Two things are happening.

1) I get the steam dialogue informing me there's no network connection, and that I can either "retry" or play in "offline mode".

2) I select "Offline Mode".

3) I get an error stating that Steam cannot log into the account, and the application closes immediately.

OR the following happens:

1) I get the steam dialogue informing me there's no network connection, and I can either "retry or play in "Offline Mode"

2) I select "Offline mode".

3) Steam opens the main steam window.

4) I choose HL2 from the menu.

5) I get the message "This operation cannot be completed when steam is in offline mode."

I have NOT checked "Don't save account information on this computer".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a persistent problem.

CD has never been out, since the day I bought the game.

Did you restart steam? I dont think you can play without being connected to it. Make sure it connects properly and try it again.

Again, this is a persistent problem, so clearly I've restarted steam.

Please read through the steps I listed above, I included them to avoid the obvious responses.

Open Steam in online mode, go into Settings --> Account, and make sure that "don't save account information on this computer" is unticked.

Well you didn't state that you had. Excuse me for trying to help. Back up your save games and reinstall. Tried that yet? Or are you one of these 30,000 people Steam has cut off for being naughty?

or try this

WySiWyG said:
Well you didn't state that you had. Excuse me for trying to help. Back up your save games and reinstall. Tried that yet? Or are you one of these 30,000 people Steam has cut off for being naughty?

or try this

I appreciate your attempt to help, I'm Just trying to point out that I've already answered that question.

Yes, obviously I have restarted steam since recreating the problem is dependant on the steam startup process. As described in my original post.

And I already searched the forums on this topic, and haven't found a solution yet. Also mentioned in my original post.

And no, I haven't been naughty. I have no problem playing in online mode.

KagePrototype, Thanks trying to help but like I already said previously: I have NOT checked "Don't save account information on this computer".

Not sure if this is any help but I had the same 'drag the modem cable round the house' before being able to play the game I spent £30 on.

Suddenly it started working for no reason.

Try swearing at the screen and threatening to uninstall.

I have this problem since I downloaded new ver. of (poxy) steam last week. I'm on dial-up so I don't want to be playing on-line. I Log on to web, load up steam, dis-connect web and quickly open HL2. Its fooled into thinking I'm still online.

Yeah I can do that too, but it doesn't help me when I'm sitting in the airport lobby, and trying to keep myself entertained.

I did reinstall steam, and the problem went away. Do its a non-issue now. Wierd thing is, after reinstalling STEAM, I no longer see the option "play half-life" when the autorun on the CD runs. Not a biggy since I can launch HL2 from the steam menu...

Back