HLS, Does it work?

R

Ratboy Stoo

With all the jumping up and down and excitement of HL2 we mussent forget it's older and more importantly, multiplayer enabled predecessor.

After getting in nice and early to work I began installing HLS on my wor's machine (gotta have somthing to do during lunch) and then later watched and one of my co workers got it started. After much nail biting and excitement we got it downloaded, only to find that the blasted thing freezes when you try and run it. Any one else had any problems or have you all managed to get it going?

(Oh XP Pro, ATI RADEON Graphics cards, latest drivers etc, etc)
Stoo

Got it running and ran through the hazard course (or "training room" as it is now called). Nothing special. I had hoped for a little more enganging graphics, so that I would get the inspiration to finish it yet another time and thus linking the two stories, but I didn't find what I was looking for..

Only fluids/lightning have been different so far, and not by much for the latter.

Kjetil

It doesn't work for me it just stays on the loading screen and I have to restart my PC.

Same here... i think something is messed up with the way its being updated. it lets you start the game before it's been fully acquired. i had the same problems with the original half life when trying to play before it was fully acquired. see what it says under properties. is it 100% acquired? i am going to try again once it is and see if it works then.

Well as far as we can tell it looks like you do need a bit of a re-boot before you can start playing. Would have been nice to let us know about that!
One complex power cycling procedure (turn computer off, turn computer on) later we now are able to get HLS to work. No multiplayer though, a bit anoyed about that!

Argh, I can't seem to be able to finish installing it. I restarted the comp several times, its still at 95%, but tries to run the game normally and always results in a lockup.

Ehh, working for me now. Mysteriously its at 100% now without updating.

Yes. First day I downloaded it, it downloaded to what appeared to be 100%, launched it, and held at the loading screen until I restarted computer. Restarted, and it did the same thing without the downloading part. I checked the properties in steam and it said it was at 95%. The next day, I opened steam, checked properties(it didn't download anything) and it was at 100%. Launched the game and it worked. Just like that.

Ratboy Stoo said:
With all the jumping up and down and excitement of HL2 we mussent forget it's older and more importantly, multiplayer enabled predecessor.
I dunno, it worked fine the first time I tried it (after the lengthy download). I would suggest letting it reach 100% for those of you that heven't done that... I know it will say it's ready to play after 80% or so. I didn't trust it ;)

Oh, and there's no multiplayer component, it's just regular old HL1 single player.

It works, but not much is different so far. Noticed some reflective effects on the stairs, though...

Back