Hmmm...

Reaction score
So, for a few months all I've played is the HL/CS:S series... And today I downloaded and played the Battlefield 2 demo, and it's a great game, I enjoyed it... But... There seems something... wrong... with the first person animations. Too slow, they almost seem inhuman. Is it just me? Or maybe Half Life 2 and Counter Strike mastered re-creating human movements and everything else seems lacking :cheers:

Nar I'd say they were seem realistic in BF2.

No, no, no - Battlefield 2 is the realistic one. HL/CS:S have nothing to do with realism.

Realistic, semi-realistic and unrealistic games are all fun to play :) It just depends on the games' quality :]

BF2 captured it really well. You're probably just used to the whole feel of the Source engine and the way it runs. Same thing happened to me when I played the FEAR demo.

xombine said:
BF2 captured it really well. You're probably just used to the whole feel of the Source engine and the way it runs. Same thing happened to me when I played the FEAR demo.

Yep. After playing on the Source engine for so long, it is only natural to feel a little weird when switching to another game of the same genre. The funny thing: I had just the opposite reaction between the F.E.A.R. engine and the Source engine that xombine did. {Did you use the slow motion (ctrl) feature a lot? Because that is what is getting me} I actually found the two to be very similar (I do not know about the inner workings of either. I'm talking strictly presentation here.). Both are very similar in the texture department. It would be difficult to tell that they were two different games if you were seeing them for the first time. Source has F.E.A.R. beat in the physics department. However, F.E.A.R.'s ragdoll physics are close to (or even) better than Source's. It all comes down to your personal preferences and how you play the game.

Just a little side note: Anybody who has not given F.E.A.R. a try yet should definitely do so. I played through is and absolutely loved it. The story is very compelling and utterly terrifying. I was checking over my shoulder almost the entire game. It is scary! :eek:

but then again, halflife isnt suppose to be realistic :p

I'd say its user preference tbh, it's all about what the gamer prefers imo ;)

Yeah. I just wish most games had views like F.E.A.R. (being able to see your hands and legs at all times, super-cool stuff like that).

Yeah, i loved games like F.E.A.R and TCOR where you have a view like that, but most people think its pointless.

BF2's engine and movement and play style were easy for me to get used to after playing halflife2. Now HL2 seems a bit off when i (rarely) take out my BF2 dvd and put the HL2 one in.

FEAR looks cool and I like the graphics engine but the sounds are terrible! However when it comes to mods nothing can beat HL².

J_Tweedy is that because YOU DONT HAVE TO PUT THE HL² CD/DVD IN THE DRIVE TO PLAY THE GAME? Or because you reinstall HL² everytime you play it? ;o) :bounce:

I'd agree on the terrible sounds in FEAR, but only the weapon sounds. It's kind of odd that the enemies MP5 sounds 3x louder than mine. The rest is okay ;)

All these pale into insignificance when compared to the mind-blowing, lifelike running animations of the little fellow in Impossible Mission.
Especially the way he'd stand urinating into cupboards, computers and beds.
Has anyone ever really searched a toilet? How long could it possibly take?

_-_-SELAS-_-_ said:
FEAR looks cool and I like the graphics engine but the sounds are terrible! However when it comes to mods nothing can beat HL².

J_Tweedy is that because YOU DONT HAVE TO PUT THE HL² CD/DVD IN THE DRIVE TO PLAY THE GAME? Or because you reinstall HL² everytime you play it? ;o) :bounce:

Reinstall, man, haha.

Back