Hollywood is creatively dead: Speedy Gonzales the Movie in the works

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
George Lopez to voice Speedy Gonzales in film

The comedian is attached to provide the voice of the fastest mouse in all Mexico for a politically correct live-action/CG hybrid feature set up at New Line Cinema.

ya it would have to be politically correct as the cartoon plays on racist stereotypes.

But the character has often courted criticism that the ethnic characterizations of him and his compatriots (especially lazy cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez) are stereotypically racist and severely outdated.

Aware of this, New Line and the producers plan to update the brand with a modernized sensibility.

"We wanted to make sure that it was not the Speedy of the 1950s -- the racist Speedy," said the comedian's wife Ann Lopez, who will serve alongside him as a producer. "Speedy's going to be a misunderstood boy who comes from a family that works in a very meticulous setting, and he's a little too fast for what they do. He makes a mess of that. So he has to go out in the world to find what he's good at."

That path becomes clearer once Speedy befriends a gun-shy race-car driver.

hahahaha so it's nothing like it's source material

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61N1KT20100224

I don't understand your criticisms.

ya it would have to be politically correct as the cartoon plays on racist stereotypes.
Hence why they are changing it. As said in the article, specifically the parts you're quoting.

hahahaha so it's nothing like it's source material
Correct, did you even read the part you quoted? They're changing it. What is your problem with getting rid of racist things? They're taking a character and creating a new story that fits him well without any of the racist or politically incorrect aspects.

It's like you're trying too hard to find things to criticize about this. AKA trolling.

space jam 2 - 2011

Imo they should keep the humor of the original series. Really, the only people who actually get offended by that kind of stuff these days are the ones who are racist.

I hope Barnz is lying...

i really hope i manage to avoid seeing the trailer for this if it does indeed get produced. i think i'd have an aneurysm if i did.

But the whole point of Speedy Gonzales is the stereotypes and racism.

Are they trying to make it MEANINGFUL?

i've been saying that hollywood has been dead for years. theres like maybe 5 movies during the year that i actually would pay money to see. when i was kid every week there was a new movie that kicked ass. also they need to stop making stupid horror flicks and get back to action movies and action comedies

I've have a similar opinion of the gaming industry. Some concepts sound nice, but then they totally make a third person sand box steaming pile of shit or make the game so lacking it's not worth even watching the trailer.

What they do with that is they destroy the potential future implementation of a particular concept, that might have been awesome if done properly.

This is like Alvin and the Chipmunks: millions of screaming, snot-nosed brats will beg to see it, and their parents will pay for it.

It's so horrible it's beautiful.

But the character has often courted criticism that the ethnic characterizations of him and his compatriots (especially lazy cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez) are stereotypically racist and severely outdated.

So speedy is now a drug cartel member ?

I've have a similar opinion of the gaming industry. Some concepts sound nice, but then they totally make a third person sand box steaming pile of shit or make the game so lacking it's not worth even watching the trailer.

What they do with that is they destroy the potential future implementation of a particular concept, that might have been awesome if done properly.

i really think the trend of showing off your product has really drowned out the initial gaming experience. for example, "watch the 1st hour of gameplay here on gametrailers!"

it really ruins the game when you see it all over again, and the same with trailers for movies, they'll even show an ending scene or two just to get you in theater.

but if i made a game i'd make it super secret and not release anything out there. but not that many people like surprises anymore...which i also think is why the industries suck in that manner.

See, this is why I hate this 'politically correct' bullshit. I've never met a Mexican who thought Speedy was racist. Mexicans LOVE Speedy Gonzales. And what's more, his lazy cousin Slowpoke? Slowpoke was the shit, you know why? Because he may have been slow, but he carried a BIG GUN.

This is just another case of vocal minority bullshit. The Mexicans who don't like Speedy and think he's racist are out of touch with the rest of their community. I live in the Central Valley; you know how many Mexicans there are out here in Turlock, Ceres, Merced? You know how many Speedy Gonzales decals I see on the back windows of pickup trucks?

Mexicans goddamn LOVE Speedy Gonzales. And they took him and Slowpoke Rodriguez off the air 'cause of a few loudmouth whiners who think everything's a racist attack.

Darkside is right.

Speedy is like a symbol of their culture.

i really think the trend of showing off your product has really drowned out the initial gaming experience. for example, "watch the 1st hour of gameplay here on gametrailers!"

it really ruins the game when you see it all over again, and the same with trailers for movies, they'll even show an ending scene or two just to get you in theater.

but if i made a game i'd make it super secret and not release anything out there. but not that many people like surprises anymore...which i also think is why the industries suck in that manner.

And I would not buy it, gameplay videos are all I really base purchasing decisions on nowadays

By watching the first 15 minutes of Bioshock 2 i realized it had none of the diminished depth the first one had, from its actual inclusion of door codes (entirely optional and used for bonus hidden caches) to its meaningless voice messages it was obvious they had abandoned depth for ease.

And with hype all over, what is a better way to judge a game before playing it? Things like "multiplayer MAKES this game" and "just fun with no frills" are increasingly deceptive.

BTW you dont HAVE to watch gameplay, theyre clearly labeled as such

Darkside is right.

Speedy is like a symbol of their culture.

I dont know how is it mexico but since speedy gonzales is such a famous and hilarious character I dont think how it can be offensive

we latinamericans dont give a crap of these stereotipes cuz most are true after all and if a latinamerican does feel offended them its for some stupid reason

I remnber when I was studying dessign in my university once,the teacher talked about a local mascot that was used in tourism adverts that was like a farm kid whit indian clothing

one of the pupils say he didnt like that cuz it made them look like simple rural people

funny is that he have sayd it on a very rural accent

also the fact of the character being of a famous north american series is a reason too
how many latinamerican nationals characters you see in big productions so famous as the looney tunes or any other?,not being drugdealers?

EDIT: and probably the ban was made by some executive that tought " hey if we ban this whit the excuse of it being racist we may get a better images and more viewers"

Embracing the shiftless Mexican stereotype is grown up but do people in Venezuala really care about our bashing of Mexicans( even though we frequently expand the scope)

Embracing the shiftless Mexican stereotype is grown up but do people in Venezuala really care about our bashing of Mexicans( even though we frequently expand the scope)

we latinamericans are like all the same so in a bit yeah

mexican stereotipes can apply to to any other latinamerican country

except brasil,argentina and chile,and maybe some caribeans

also that you couldnt diferentiate a venezuelan from a mexican
"he is brownish so sure its mexican"

Back