How can I Get HAlf Life source

cod56

Reaction score
At the time of the release of Half Lfe 2 I did not have broadband, therfore I purchased HL2 over the counter. I really wanted the colectors edition but Game UK did not have a release date so I decided to buy the Standard edition.

I have found out recently that the colectors edition will be released in the UK on 10th December for £44.99. My main reason for wanting the colectors edition is to get Half Life Source. Having already speant £34.99 on HL2 I dont want to buy the Colectors edition aswell.

I cant return the game to the shop as it has already been registerd on steam.

Does any one know of a way I can get Half Life Source legaly. I would pay the diference between the two editions £10 for it. I'm not to bothered about the rest of the stuff in the colectors edition (especially the Prima Guide).

Any suggetsions appreciated.

i know telling you this probably wont change your mind, but hl:s was a major disappointment for me, all the original weapon models (not even the high definition ones, the originals with the really shitty arms/anims), everything was the same, there was shadows, and occasionally physics was applied to something, but apart from that it was pretty much the same as hl1 itself.

as for getting it anyway, maybe valve will make it available for an extra 20 bucks or something somewhere down the line, or you can just buy the collectors edition when your rich? :D

Here in Portugal we just have the bonze package! The collector's edition will arrive too late. I wanted a silver one, and all i have is a sh*tty bronze one... FU portugal Shops! -.-

dru said:
i know telling you this probably wont change your mind, but hl:s was a major disappointment for me, all the original weapon models (not even the high definition ones, the originals with the really shitty arms/anims), everything was the same, there was shadows, and occasionally physics was applied to something, but apart from that it was pretty much the same as hl1 itself.
Agreed. I bought Steam Silver for that and it's exactly the same as HL1. Pretty much an afternoon's project for someone. I wouldn't fuss too much about getting it - just get the original. Should be very cheap now.

Are you sure there's no way of deregistering the key on your account and taking it back, btw?

How can something possibly be a major disappointment if it was never built up to be anything spectacular? You probably read in numerous articles (from Valve even) that all HL: Source was ever going to be was a port from one engine to the next. Know the facts before buying the game instead of hearing the word "source" and thinking that huge graphics are involved.

By the way, if you've bought the game retail, your Steam account will have HL: Source in the 'Now available' section. I believe you can order it through there. Hope that helps.

JCampbell said:
How can something possibly be a major disappointment if it was never built up to be anything spectacular? You probably read in numerous articles (from Valve even) that all HL: Source was ever going to be was a port from one engine to the next. Know the facts before buying the game instead of hearing the word "source" and thinking that huge graphics are involved.
That's exactly my point - it's not changed from HL1. It's not worth paying anything extra for over the original. I just wanted to make sure the original poster wasn't expecting something better.

JCampbell said:

By the way, if you've bought the game retail, your Steam account will have HL: Source in the 'Now available' section. I believe you can order it through there. Hope that helps.

Although it does say its avilable you have to select one of the HL2 packages.

JCampbell said:
For 59.99..

koopa said:
Agreed. I bought Steam Silver for that and it's exactly the same as HL1. Pretty much an afternoon's project for someone. I wouldn't fuss too much about getting it - just get the original. Should be very cheap now.

Are you sure there's no way of deregistering the key on your account and taking it back, btw?

Good luck getting a store to take back an already-opened computer game.

justmatt said:
Good luck getting a store to take back an already-opened computer game.

Before they changed their returns policy you could take any game or even DVD movie back within 10 days and get a full refund, it was a brilliant free rental service.

I agree with their decision on not taking PC games back because they are easily copied. I don't understand why they still take back PS2 games because you can copy those easily aswell. (I dont have a chipped playstation though).

I dont want to return the game I want an upgrade! :)

I have steam silver, and so HL:source .... but it sucks :/
No new models, it is EXACTLY the original one (that i finished x times), but with the really beautiful water ; it shocks a lot, ugly graphics and beautiful water. Ok there is physics, but with what ? no object can be physically manipulated .

-Yo- said:
I have steam silver, and so HL:source .... but it sucks :/
No new models, it is EXACTLY the original one (that i finished x times), but with the really beautiful water ; it shocks a lot, ugly graphics and beautiful water. Ok there is physics, but with what ? no object can be physically manipulated .

Maybe I will leave it then, I have seen a few posts saying its not very good.

I'll stick with HL2.

Cheers

Back