How can I tell if my power supply is enough?

Reaction score
Hello!
Im looking to get a new gfx card but higher powered cards require more power in order to function properly. Is there a program or something that I can use to find out what my power supply is? I dont feel like opening my case.

I believe you will need to open the case to find out. :O

M'kay...well if this this is any help for those of you that seem to remember everything about every computer you had, I have a dell Dimension 8200 w/ 2.53ghz proc n crap. Sometimes they change stuff based on your processor so...

You'll know when you plug in your new video card and you can't turn your computer on. (It happened to me!)

Cyber$nake said:
Hello!
Im looking to get a new gfx card but higher powered cards require more power in order to function properly. Is there a program or something that I can use to find out what my power supply is? I dont feel like opening my case.

How powerful is your powersupply and what find of card do you want to get?

I have just bought a 9800 pro and the power requirement is said to be 300w. when I opened up to install the card I found I only had 300w (oh no)
I did a search on the internet and many people are running on 200w.Apparently it is the quality fo the power supply and not the wattage that is important.I have a HP pc which has a good quality supply so I gave it a go and have had no problems at(3 hour session on doom3 no problem)

Well it isn't the quality. Depending on the quality of the PSU it will last a lot longer and not give under stress. What most people don't look at is how many amps are on each rail (3.3V, 5V, and 12V) but instead just look at the Watts rating.

whats the most important rail? the 12 volt? and what is reccomended for each rail

In general, the +12 Volt rail is the most important, and quality power supply units should have at least 15-18A delivered through that rail. Having a 500 Watt Power Supply is meaningless if there is not enough current delivered through the rails to the units that require it the most (hard drives, disc drives).

Back