How do headcrabs replicate?

Overwatch

Reaction score
Here's a question that bugs me!

When a headcrab eats someone's head he becomes a zombie, but all zombies spend their time doing is trying to kill helpless humans, so how do new headcrabs appear?

I know there probably is no certain informartion, but does anyone have at least a theory?

TheAmazingRando said:
They have an aesexual queen that spawns them.
Who you encounter in hl1… Thought I would clarify that for the new fans who haven’t played the original…

Is This Tea said:
Who you encounter in hl1… Thought I would clarify that for the new fans who haven’t played the original…

I did play HL1.

So those white toxic jumping things Big Momma spawned were baby headcrabs? I never figured out that...

And to clear something up, everyone is saying that the headcrabs are the combines bioweapons, but they aren't the combine's. The headcrabs came were native to the planet that the combine opened the portal from. The combine use them, but they are not created by the combine as idiots are saying. :O

bliink said:
aesexual queen? isnt that an oxymoron?
:E I suppose it is an oxymoron. I mean it is a queen as that is the role it plays in the headcrab society, just like a queen termite except without the need of drones and instead simply with a steady supply of food.

Well, I think it came from the big black headcrab that lives in the Xen world.

The Gonarch, AKA "Big Momma".

Seems there's more than just the one that Gordon killed on Xen.

As for the latter parts of the headcrab lifecycle, they remain to be seen...

I believe the combines captured one of these Gonarchs. No wonder alot of headcrabs are scattered throughout the City... maybe throughout the world!

Their natural habitat probably inlcudes headcrabbable creatures that *can* be used to reproduce.

Maybe the Combine used the genetic template and multiplied them. Which may explain how you get the fast buggers.

Hmm... maybe they're a new species that has been recently discovered and used by the combines. Anyway, did you guys remember fighting baby black headcrabs? Maybe they're the poison headcrab.

Hmm but if you killed the queen is there another queen? Obviously the combine need to be getting their headcrabs from somewhere.. for the missles.

As a side note, remember those little bug/crab looking things in Half Life 1 that would be crawling all over the floor? You could kill them but they didn't hurt you. Were those supposed to be headcrab babies or something?

NJspeed said:
As a side note, remember those little bug/crab looking things in Half Life 1 that would be crawling all over the floor? You could kill them but they didn't hurt you. Were those supposed to be headcrab babies or something?

Those were cockroaches.

CREMATOR666 said:
LMAO :D People get so paranoid these days. :p
Raise the terror alert color... and buy some duct tape!
alert1.jpg

One of the parts that was cut from the game along with things like the Borealis was a section in some kind of combine lab/base where apparently there were big Gonarch egg sacks in tubes or whatnot producing baby headcrabs,

I'm pretty sure I got that from a guy on this forum who played the beta and he said that the gonarch sack thingy was a model available to look at in the viewer in the beta,

But he could have been making shit up, it makes sense though,

-J

It's actually not a bad tactic to deny your enemy use of certian avenues of approach by dropping in pests.

The Soviets had and tested (and we were always trained to think they would use) air-deployable pods full of various insects to use against us. (IIRC they were called Vector Weapons in training.)

Fleas. Ticks. Skeeters. Billions of them. Would have sucked.

Good thing they didn't have headcrabs in the USSR.

Anyway, one thing I like about HL2 is the solid tactics the "Bad Guys" often use. Supressive Fire, Bounding Overwatch, Commo, Denial of Space, etc.

it's entirely possible that there are life stages between gonome and gonarch and that every headcrab with a host becomes reproductive, rather than having one single queen for a whole 'hive'
just sayin'

No, look at the zombies with headcrabs on their heads. you'll notice that their chest, abdomen are busted open, most probably by new headcrabs growing inside the bodies. kinda like in alien movies.

ummmm i think the headcrabs take over a body to get food for the queen(like ants), or else the queen will starve

You know those big holes in the underside of the headcrab? Well, lets just say they're not mouths.

amorn said:
No, look at the zombies with headcrabs on their heads. you'll notice that their chest, abdomen are busted open, most probably by new headcrabs growing inside the bodies. kinda like in alien movies.

Those gashes in the zombies' torsos are mouths, as seen in Half Life. Except that the HL2 zombies don't seem quite as developed as the ones in HL.

Those gashes in the zombies' torsos are mouths, as seen in Half Life. Except that the HL2 zombies don't seem quite as developed as the ones in HL.

I noticed that also, hmm. I wish we could have seen Gonarch in half life 2, they originally intended her to be used at this large faciltiy in which they dispensed headcrab pods...how unfortaunete it was cut.

I have a feeling that the 'Suppresor field' used to prevent human reproduction prevents headcrab zombies from developing too far into the Gonarch stage, since it HAS been several years since some of them probably got crabbed, and not even a single Gonome in sight? The mouths aren't even well developed, which might mean something.

Gonomes were developed by Gearbox so I assume they are not related to the HL universe. However I am certain they must have SOME form of mutation.

ranmafan said:
I have a feeling that the 'Suppresor field' used to prevent human reproduction prevents headcrab zombies from developing too far into the Gonarch stage, since it HAS been several years since some of them probably got crabbed, and not even a single Gonome in sight? The mouths aren't even well developed, which might mean something.
Very good point… that’s the best idea I have ever heard on that issue…
Samon said:
I wish we could have seen Gonarch in half life 2, they originally intended her to be used at this large faciltiy in which they dispensed headcrab pods...how unfortaunete it was cut.
That really would have been awesome…

Originally posted by This is Tea
That really would have been awesome…

Indeed it would.

*Eyes mod suspiciously, then opens microsoft word and gets cracking ;)

Can headcrabs attach themselves to other headcrabs and make headcrab zombies?

I'm serious...though they do cause less damage than ant lions, they are EVERYWHERE...it be great if you had some of that....the headcrab nuisance would be gone forever

and not that they're great fighters, but it'd be funny to send waves of a hundred headcrabs against those bunkers on the novaprospekt beach

Back