How do you know if your overclocking?

KozMic

Reaction score
^^^

could someone please tell me how you find out if your overclocking your comp as ive heard that it can shorten the life of your pc.

thanks for the help in advance :thumbs:

oh and one more other thing, if it can be answered, but how many processes should my pc be running? without effecting my performance of the game? :thumbs:

Overclocking is a manual thing, so if your coming on here asking if your overclocked I doubt you are :)

overclocking is usually done by increasing the front side bus of your system. often, the multiplier is locked in the chip, so by increasing the FSB you are forcing the system to run faster than normal. As Ben said, this is done manually in the BIOS or on the motherboard with jumpers or DIP switches, so if you're asking how to, then you probably arent. As for the number of processes, that depends. Its not the number of processes really, but how much memory is allocated to to each one. a simple way to free up memory right from startup is to do:
start -> run -> "msconfig" -> startup
once there, you can uncheck items in there safely, and they wont start when windows starts. You should be able to safely uncheck all that are in there ("disable all" option), but if you notice some program isnt running properly, you can go back in there and recheck it. it will stay listed in there even if its unchecked, so you can recheck it later.

Back