How do you tell your parents your future plans?

FrostedxB

Tank
Reaction score
I went to take a tour of an Automotive trade school today that I have really wanted to go to for the past few years. Before I found this school, I was pretty set to enlist into the Marines.

I've talked with my parents (or tried to) about both options and my mother seems to be disappointed. I could give a rats ass about that, all I am is one big ****ing disappointment but it seems neither my mother nor father will really support any plan I think of unless it involves regular college.

Sadly, College would be a huge waste of my time and their money (I'm a retard when it comes to academics) I want to get that through to them, hell they watch me struggle to get C's in high school. I'd definitely flunk college courses.

There's good money to be made in the automotive industry, and this school trains its students in manufacturer specific courses and is looked at as one of the top places that a car company would look to hire people from. My dream would be to end up working in a dealership. Yet my parents are more worried about cost and distance then anything.

How would/could you approach this to make them see why trade school is the best option?

Lol.

Me: "So, mom and dad, I was thinking about trying for the Military Academy-"

M&D: "OH NO YOU WON'T"

*me tries out w/o parental support, in complete total secrecy, fills out application forms, etc.*

Me: "Mom and Dad, since I've agreed to go to another University and not try again next year, I think I should do ROTC and apply for a military scholarship."

M&D: "NO."

*plans to do so anyway*

Anyway, my pains aside, this is a question I want to ask also. Also, from what I've seen, parents are pretty damn hard to convince, especially about those kind of things. If I were you, I'd say sorry to the parents, join the Marine Corps, and then see if they can offer a kind of scholarship to pay for your school.

have you tried just telling them what you told us?

if they still have a problem then go all white whale on them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpoAcXu65TM"]white whale

Oh. I didn't see the video.

Lol.

Its your life, not there's, do what you like.

And in this day and age, well in the UK at least, college/uni etc won't get you some amazing high paying job anymore, considering all the post grads I know are working jobs you could get with a high school education or less.

1. Tell your parents you're seeing a psychologist about your gender identity disorder, but you're not sure whether you're getting rid of your penis.
2. Tell your parents you're not actually seeing a psychologist about your gender identity disorder, but you lost your penis in a freak elevator accident.
3. Tell your parents that you didn't lose your penis.
4. Reveal generously sized penis coffin.
5. When your mother is revived, tell them your actual plans.

Genuine advice:
Ok, I'm out of helpful ideas. Western society overvalues Higher Education, then shuffles its feet when it comes to actually giving out jobs to the people who go through it. Shift is right, and frankly, the path you're choosing makes a lot of goddamned sense for your account of yourself and the cold harsh reality of the job market at this moment. Sometimes, you can't make your parents see the logic of what you're doing. You just have to plough on, put the hardest work in that you can and prove that you made the right choice.

There isnt a lot of money in the automotive industry actually, especially now that car companies are tanking and huge layoffs are happening. Plus the industry will be undergoing a massive change in the next few years as we switch away from gasoline. You might as well become a computer technician anyways, since cars are already just huge moving computers with some additional hardware.

Yeah, car industry doesn't seem to be your best option for the future.

My parents were hell bent on medical and healthcare shit but my grades weren't good enough anyways. I don't really even know what the hell I'm going to do but whatever my degree allows me.

Become a carpenter. Always work in construction.

Yeah, car industry doesn't seem to be your best option for the future.

No matter how safe and reliable a car is, it can and will always be able to get into an accident.

Collision/Repair/Restoration/Paint/Dent&Scratch removal are areas that will almost always need technicians in. This is what I want to train for.

You could train at a place like UTI or Lincoln Tech and hit the sandbox in Afghanistan or Iraq, the average pay for those guys is 93k a year fixing tanks, and other equipment.

Back